US Politics: The American Messias, Greenland and attacks on Jews voting Democrats. Or as we call it Wednesday.

12 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Is this guy equating James Madison with Jesus? I'm pretty sure guns aren't in the Bible. And I'm pretty sure the 2nd amendment wasn't written by Jesus. So God can only come into it if he's saying James Madison=Jesus=God.

Did you think God was an Englishman, like so many in that countrynoncd did?

Hell no! He immigrated! He’s an American!

11 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Is this guy equating James Madison with Jesus? I'm pretty sure guns aren't in the Bible. And I'm pretty sure the 2nd amendment wasn't written by Jesus. So God can only come into it if he's saying James Madison=Jesus=God.

It's about knowing your classics:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

If "self-defense" is a "natural right," then it is "God-given" and sacred and government can only protect it, not infringe upon it.

Of course the "state of nature" as defined by Locke & others is a fiction and natural rights too. But they may be seen as a pleasant fiction in some respects.

21 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

It's about knowing your classics:

If "self-defense" is a "natural right," then it is "God-given" and sacred and government can only protect it, not infringe upon it.

Of course the "state of nature" as defined by Locke & others is a fiction and natural rights too. But they may be seen as a pleasant fiction in some respects.

The only self defense tools God gave people was our brains and bodies. Defend yourself that way. Unless the bible thumpers want to say that God's tools aren't good enough and want to rely on ones that are man made as opposed to those that God blessed them with...

[/mild trolling]

24 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Yeah I don't think the philosophical construct of the state of nature and the subsequent development of social compact theory by Hobbes/Locke/Roussea is a normatively "bad" thing in the slightest, at least generally.  It's just, you know, maybe we could move on already to Rawls' advancement of the theory to more fully incorporate fairness, equality, and (of course) justice.

27 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

The only self defense tools God gave people was our brains and bodies. Defend yourself that way. Unless the bible thumpers want to say that God's tools aren't good enough and want to rely on ones that are man made as opposed to those that God blessed them with...

Oh, silly. God created man in his image. Can we agree on that? Ok, now then, what do you think thunderstorms are? It's God exercising his God given right to bear arms and use them for fun. Fallen angels are a price worth paying for it. See, now we are going back to man being created in God's image...

41 minutes ago, Bonnot OG said:

Self loathing gay Asian fascist Andy Ngo is doxxing protesters that were arrested in Boston on Saturday. 

Protesters at the incel pride parade?

Where are the women, AOC asked: “Seems More Like a ‘I-Struggle-With-Masculinity’ Parade to Me”

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/09/ocasio-cortez-straight-pride-parade-struggle-with-masculinity.html

:idea::dunce:

5 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Oh, silly. God created man in his image.

That is a problem for all age ain't it? Which version am I to believe? Christian, Hebrew or Muslim or those pesky peaceful Buddhists?

Perhaps I need only to read or watch Good Omens.

Ok, now then, what do you think thunderstorms are?

When the children were small and scared I told them god was bowling. Lightening was a strike.

It's God exercising his God given right to bear arms and use them for fun. Fallen angels are a price worth paying for it. See, now we are going back to man being created in God's image...

Not picking on you personal. Individuals in large christian populations believe god will smite just as individuals Hebrew and Muslim.

Thing is that no one pays attention to God is love and all of gods children have free will.

Free will --- believe what you want, do what you want to do, you did it.

If you or anyone knows how to bring the evangelicals to heel in the 2020 election please share. 

4 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

That is a problem for all age ain't it? Which version am I to believe? Christian, Hebrew or Muslim or those pesky peaceful Buddhists?

Muslims believe in the same God as Christians and Jews. Allegedly Buddhists don't believe in a personal deity. So I guess you go with Allah, since he covers all bases.

5 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Not picking on you personal. Individuals in large christian populations believe god will smite just as individuals Hebrew and Muslim.

You failed to mention the Spaghetti Monster, as a pastafari I feel discriminated.

As @The Anti-Targ mentioned jewish god = christian god = muslim god.

Jesus himself was a basically a travelling preacher (a rabbi if you will), who then got elated to god's second coming. Sorta of an early L. Ron Hubbard if you will - I know the Christians will be fuming over that analogy. Mohammed then just picked up on those Judeo-Christian traditions and started his own god worshipping branch. But that was also for rather pragmatic reasons, as in uniting the land under one common religion. On that notion, I doubt and hope that our new self-proclaimed chosen one, will be equally succesful as founder of a religion. Altho, I find the idea of a priest celebrating a mess by reading from the book of Donald (aka the Art of the Deal) to be pretty funny. Instead of the sermon of the mount we will have #covefe. Can I get an Amen? Ok, I guess not.

I thought the Spaghetti Monster was an undeity: doesn't really exist except by the unfalsifiability principle. A kind of negative existence.

Jesus was actually a day labourer. Basically the equivalent of today's zero hour contract, but without the contract.

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Jesus himself was a basically a travelling preacher (a rabbi if you will), who then got elated to god's second coming. Sorta of an early L. Ron Hubbard if you will - I know the Christians will be fuming over that analogy.

As someone who is essentially raised catholic, I have to say that an analogy like this often crossed my mind. Jesus and his followers are kind of often portrayed like you would a small sect with a charismatic leader figure preaching against the religious society around him. I also often end up wondering just how much of the bible is just how his disciples wanted to see Jesus as this wise pacifist guy oozing compassion. Because on the other end of the spectrum, you still got him whipping up a temple entrance and then you've got the whole end times stuff where he smites sinners with a flaming sword. Gotta have to wonder how the actual Jesus was like compared to the one in the texts. XD

14 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Muslims believe in the same God as Christians and Jews.

That is a broad statement. Do you have a doctorate in religious studies?

14 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So I guess you go with Allah, since he covers all bases.

I believe there is one god. I do not however believe the christian bible which is made of two parts, is to be taken literal.

Shock and awe, jesus was jewish and yes muslims consider jesus a prophet. Depending on which christian faith a person follows jesus is many things.

Back to politics, It is my opinion trump needs to be defeated in the next election. FFS if it wasn't for the electoral college trump would not be president. If the american public can't put their dem vs rep bias aside trump will get a second term.

13 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

You failed to mention the Spaghetti Monster, as a pastafari I feel discriminated.

I do apologize for not mentioning the spaghetti monster.  I don't know what a pastafari is. Hindu?

In american politics I have to take into consideration that a rather large percentage of the population are of christian background.

In my experience christanity uses fear to keep people in line. My parents used it on me and I used it on my children. Until I said no more.

There is in my opinion only one religion that is more violent than christianty and that is islam.

Fundamentalists of both of those religions are scary.

My thought is that trump and the americian media know how to whip up a whirling dervish.

Has there been a case in america that a tenured academic member has committed mass murder in support of the right to bear/bare arms?

Just now, Clegane'sPup said:

I do apologize for not mentioning the spaghetti monster.  I don't know what a pastafari is. Hindu?

Quick wikipedia link.

9 hours ago, Toth said:

As someone who is essentially raised catholic, I have to say that an analogy like this often crossed my mind. Jesus and his followers are kind of often portrayed like you would a small sect with a charismatic leader figure preaching against the religious society around him. I also often end up wondering just how much of the bible is just how his disciples wanted to see Jesus as this wise pacifist guy oozing compassion. Because on the other end of the spectrum, you still got him whipping up a temple entrance and then you've got the whole end times stuff where he smites sinners with a flaming sword. Gotta have to wonder how the actual Jesus was like compared to the one in the texts. XD

Uff, part of me is tempted to make a quite distasteful joke. I'll leave it with a spoiler tag. Anybody who wants to get offended, can then read it at their peril.

Spoiler

Basically you are saying, we should be lucky the Bible didn't mention the cocktailparty in Hollywood 1969. Anyway, bottom line, one man's cult is another man's religion.

54 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Quick wikipedia link.

Uff, part of me is tempted to make a quite distasteful joke. I'll leave it with a spoiler tag. Anybody who wants to get offended, can then read it at their peril.

Reveal hidden contents

Basically you are saying, we should be lucky the Bible didn't mention the cocktailparty in Hollywood 1969. Anyway, bottom line, one man's cult is another man's religion.

Thanks for the link. Appreciate it. 

I like distasteful jokes. Distasteful is in the eye of the beholder much as satire and parody. Does depend on where one stands however.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Side tangent, why do people think monotheism makes more sense than polytheism? Seems backwards to me.

Weeeeeeeel, smartie pants, you have asked a question I canna even begin to answer.

Do you have feedback on your question?

There was a comedian who grew into maturity who is dead now.

2 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

That is a broad statement. Do you have a doctorate in religious studies?

Don't know why you need a doctorate. A simple understanding of theological tennats in the Quran is enough to know this.

If you say that Christians don't believe in the same God as Muslims, then generally speaking that is indeed how a lot of Christians see it. But certain Biblical prophecies actually reference Muhammad as sent from God, so The Bible does recognise Islam in advance as being of God. Islam for sure affirms in clear language that Allah is simply an Arabic title for the God of the Old and New Testaments.

41 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Weeeeeeeel, smartie pants, you have asked a question I canna even begin to answer.

Do you have feedback on your question?

There was a comedian who grew into maturity who is dead now.

I remember the first time I saw that clip like a decade ago. Still holds up. My feedback is that religion was created by man so it has as much credibility as anything man has fantasized about. 

Archived