"The Ice Dragon" (1980 book by GRRM)

On 9/22/2019 at 6:51 PM, Anthony Appleyard said:

Lost Melnibonean wrote "IIRC, the action was off screen. ..."; to me "off screen" suggested some form of media that uses a screen; I am sorry if I guessed wrong. My version of the book (ISBN 978-0-00-811885-3) says nothing about trousers or nailing, and I am thankful that it does not contain that matter. Chapter 7 of my version says "Adara ... found Teri ... they freed Geoff, and they then untied their father."

By off screen, I meant that the act was not described as it happened in the narrative. 

On 9/22/2019 at 7:00 PM, Clegane'sPup said:

I guess someone in order to settle the dispute would need to read the free book and do a quote.

https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/155610-the-ice-dragon-1980-book-by-grrm/&tab=comments&_fromLogin=1

The linky thing does not seem to work, bloody hells, I probably messed up,

Google George Martin Ice Dragon pdf.

My oldest is 14 now. Maybe I will ask him to read it and tell us. :)

The scene in question? 

Spoiler

Then she was running, away from the fields, back to the house and her family within, running as fast as she could, running and panting and crying all the while like a seven-year-old. Her father had been nailed to the bedroom wall. They had wanted him to watch while they took their turns with Teri. Adara did not know what to do, but she untied Teri, whose tears had dried by then, and they freed Geoff, and then they got their father down. Teri nursed him and cleaned out his wounds. When his eyes opened and he saw Adara he smiled. She hugged him very hard, and cried for him.

On 9/26/2019 at 1:00 AM, The Fattest Leech said:

The scene in question? 

Hide contents

This version is in my book :: the /// marks a 29-word omission; and there are other changes, which I mark by '#'.

Then she was running, away from the fields, back to the house and her family within, running as fast as she could, running and panting and crying all the while like a seven-year-old. ///

Adara did not know what to do, but she #found Teri, whose tears had dried by then, and they freed Geoff, and then they #untied their father #. Teri nursed him and cleaned out his wounds. When his eyes opened and he saw Adara he smiled. She hugged him very hard, and cried for him. 

It's a nice little story but you have to do a lot of work to connect it to ASOIAF and George has never said it was connected. The publishers just like to imply it, naturally. I'm satisfied with it being a separate thing that some of his early ideas for the story come from.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2019 at 8:00 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

The scene in question? 

Hide contents

Then she was running, away from the fields, back to the house and her family within, running as fast as she could, running and panting and crying all the while like a seven-year-old. Her father had been nailed to the bedroom wall. They had wanted him to watch while they took their turns with Teri. Adara did not know what to do, but she untied Teri, whose tears had dried by then, and they freed Geoff, and then they got their father down. Teri nursed him and cleaned out his wounds. When his eyes opened and he saw Adara he smiled. She hugged him very hard, and cried for him.

Yeap. That's the one. 

Archived