Cricket 37: Boycott's Grandma Probably Should Bat

Jeor

Did some research. At least Lyon and Leach have combined for 1 over of bowling and 2 batted runs this match.

Adil Rashid apparently had a Test match where he didn't bowl and didn't bat at all (and didn't take a catch either).

Yes, Broad and Woakes always get more movement. In some ways it's been to their detriment with a lot of plays and misses.

Just now, Paxter said:

I'm hoping the end of that last thread doesn't herald a return of form for Warner! It was working a treat (that 60-odd notwithstanding).

It did do quite some good voodoo work, didn't it! Five single figure scores and a 60-odd is a pretty bad return.

I wouldn't be surprised if they went for Stokes as captain, to be honest. I know he had those off field problems but with the World Cup win and his performances in general being one of the better players, he at least always has a secure place in the team.

However, I don't think they will sack Root, although he might be expected to resign if they lose this series.

4 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Harris looking to be positive. I think it's a great tactic because a quickfire 50 will really take the game even further from England.

Harris has always been a bit aggressive, evidence like the first ball of this innings where he waved wildly at a wide one. But if he stays in for a bit it will be trouble for England.

3 minutes ago, Jeor said:

However, I don't think they will sack Root, although he might be expected to resign if they lose this series.

Yes not many captains survive two consecutive failed Ashes campaigns.

Just now, Paxter said:

Lol. Where was Leach in the first innings.

Taking a back seat to the fast bowlers in overcast conditions. But that ball was amazing. Australia's phalanx of left handers are not going to like that rough...

That is now 20 wickets since tea yesterday and we haven't even reached tea today! 20 wickets in less than a day's play. Such poor batting (and good bowling).

6 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Taking a back seat to the fast bowlers in overcast conditions. But that ball was amazing. Australia's phalanx of left handers are not going to like that rough...

There was a passage of play yesterday though when Woakes and Stokes were leaking a lot of runs...trying Leach from one end while Broad and Archer take turns would have been worth a try.

1 minute ago, Paxter said:

There was a passage of play yesterday though when Woakes and Stokes were leaking a lot of runs...trying Leach from one end while Broad and Archer take turns would have been worth a try.

Yes, I did wonder whether Root persisted with Woakes/Stokes too long and could have tried something different.

Leach might be a wildcard here for England to get back in the match. He's got rough and a lot of turn to work with, against a batting order stacked full of lefties with that rough positioned perfectly outside off stump as he aims to spin it into their stumps or pads.

Archived