Cricket 37: Boycott's Grandma Probably Should Bat

Jeor

2 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Where are the pom supporters (other than you two!). They've been awfully quiet!

Hah...I'm not really a Pom supporter (though @Paxter definitely is!). Usually I don't go for the Aussies but in an away Ashes series I can be dragged agnostic...

Has anyone read my signature lately? That quote still holds - 10 years after Neal's utterance in Yuku chat!

I must say though, I only really root for England in the Ashes. I was furious after that World Cup final...

Yes, the World Cup final has pushed me slightly against England this Ashes.

Game in the balance here. One more wicket right now and you feel the Aussies could end up folding for only 100 or so and England would have a shot.

Edit: Obviously you'd still want to be Australia, but this is the time where they could let it slip.

2 minutes ago, Paxter said:

@Jeortalks a good talk...but we know he secretly has posters of Boof Lehmann, Marnus and Warner on his bedroom wall.

Scandalous lies!

(You forgot the poster of Shane Watson)

Just now, Jeor said:

Scandalous lies!

(You forgot the poster of Shane Watson)

Haha. Sometimes I forget Watson even existed. Then the image of that front pad lurching across the stumps flashes into my mind...the thud of the cherry on padding...and the inevitable DRS challenge.

14 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Haha. Sometimes I forget Watson even existed. Then the image of that front pad lurching across the stumps flashes into my mind...the thud of the cherry on padding...and the inevitable DRS challenge.

Yes...the Goober had a couple of decent years but his early career was atrocious. I always thought the selectors gave him so much rope because they were desperate to find their own Flintoff.

EDIT: Don't forget the way he would also charge spinners and try to hit them for six all the time, like a man ineffectually swatting at flies in the outback. Because his hard hands and front pad made even part-time spinners hopeful.

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

It's just as well Anderson isnt playing, or there would probably be 4 innings of less than 100.

Yes...this is what makes it harder to fathom what has happened with this England side. They had everything going for them. The great find of Archer, Smith out of the Third Test and the prospect of Anderson returning in the Fourth. To level the series at 1-1 with Anderson coming back would have been a strong position.

19 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

It's just as well Anderson isnt playing, or there would probably be 4 innings of less than 100.

The counter-argument there is that if Smith were playing, Australia might be leading by 300 already. 

ETA: Marnus looks a ready-made test match player. He reminds me a bit of a right-handed M Hussey: organised, busy, quick between wickets, mentally tough.

Labuschagne and Head have done some good work here, calming the innings down. After losing 3 quick wickets you sensed England could have gotten onto a roll and snuck back into the game, but these two have just settled in a bit. They haven't scored much, but they've kept their wickets intact which is more important in the context of this match, with three full days of play still to come.

Labuschagne has really looked good since he's been in the side. I think it's only fair now that Joe Denly scores some runs for @Paxter!

6 minutes ago, desire said:

Tbh head has had a great series so far. Nice solid player no Mike Huss but decent 

Totally agree. So far his test average is 10 runs higher than his FC record. Awesome start to his career - I wonder if the test captaincy waits for him one day. Maybe it's him vs. Carey. 

ETA: Anyone think Root's use/abuse of Archer is finally starting to tell? He doesn't look his usual serene self today...

1 minute ago, Paxter said:

ETA: Anyone think Root's use/abuse of Archer is finally starting to tell? He doesn't look his usual serene self today...

I dunno, in his earlier spell he got into the 90mph range. I think it's more likely the fact that he didn't get the innings rest he expected (essentially only one session break before being asked to bowl again under pressure this time). Probably a combination of tiredness, crankiness and mental demotivation.

3 minutes ago, Jeor said:

I dunno, in his earlier spell he got into the 90mph range. I think it's more likely the fact that he didn't get the innings rest he expected (essentially only one session break before being asked to bowl again under pressure this time). Probably a combination of tiredness, crankiness and mental demotivation.

^ 2nd test match after the world cup it must catch up sooner or later. They will work out a game plan against him sooner rather then later after the blow to Smith and Lamb 

Off-topic slightly: a sometimes neglected stat in test match cricket is innings run rates. But I think in this series economy rates have been crucial and help illustrate how Australia have managed to keep the hosts winless in home conditions.

England have prioritised wicket-taking and have conceded run rates of:

1. Edgbaston: 3.52 and 4.34
  2. Lord's: 2.64 and 3.24
  3. Headingley: 3.43 and 3.28 (so far)

These are on the high side in helpful bowling conditions and have really helped Australia build momentum and apply pressure.

Meanwhile Australia have conceded:

1. Edgbaston: 2.75 and 2.78
  2. Lord's: 3.34 and 3.63
  3. Headingley: 2.4

Not saying it's the full story by any stretch of the imagination, but the fact that Australia has been able to keep things very tight in three of the five innings has made things a lot easier for them. Meanwhile, England has only restricted Australia's scoring in one of the six innings played. 

This also shows why Langer is so reluctant to play Mitch Starc, his impressive World Cup form notwithstanding. 

18 minutes ago, Paxter said:

I think it's because he hasn't gotten a wicket. He regularly got wickets so far, so probably felt rewarded for his hard work. Except this innings. So this is probably the first time he is experiencing a setback, in that he hasn't been rewarded for his hard work, so losing focus and getting cranky at all those half misses.

Edit: I think Cummins got under his skin as well. He was pretty annoyed at the way he got out.

Archived