Cricket 37: Boycott's Grandma Probably Should Bat

Jeor

3 minutes ago, desire said:

53 all out, v Aus, Lord's 1888 (1st inns)
62 all out, v Aus, Lord's 1888 (2nd inns)

*prayers* 

I wouldn't be nervous if I was an Australian fan. I know England bat deep and have shown the ability to bounce back (e.g. against Ireland a few weeks ago). But I just don't see Aus slipping up here. They look ruthless.

I doubt England will cave as easily next innings. There were a lot of lucky wickets last innings. Stoke will unlikely play that shot again, a couple of glove down legside as well. I expect Woakes, Stokes and Burns to be better next innings. Very avoidable dismissals.

Roy and Denly will likely go the same as they have been, chasing shit outside off. Root might recover, who knows. The team really needs him to get his shit together.

And he drops a catch as i write this. Similar to Warner last match. No run, no confidence, average fielding.

11 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

So this is probably the first time he is experiencing a setback, in that he hasn't been rewarded for his hard work, so losing focus and getting cranky at all those half misses.

Yeah, good call on this. Wickets have come easily for him in basically every spell he has bowled so far in Test cricket, so having a dry patch (even a very modest one) is bound to annoy him.

Big drop from Root. Getting Marnus and having Australia effectively 4/200 in retrospect might have been their last best chance.

3 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

I doubt England will cave as easily next innings. There were a lot of lucky wickets last innings. Stoke will unlikely play that shot again, a couple of glove down legside as well. I expect Woakes, Stokes and Burns to be better next innings. Very avoidable dismissals.

Another reason Australia want to bat a long time in this innings - they will want to deprive England from getting a chance to bat on a good pitch. Assuming the forecast is okay, I'd assume they try and drag this out at least until tea tomorrow if at all possible, though I don't think England's bowling will allow them to stay out there that long.

2 minutes ago, desire said:

Archer off.

They think it's just cramp - at least judging from the smiles around the field it doesn't seem serious.

Who knows, Archer might just be lucking out of what would be a pretty thankless task bowling in this innings.

Hardly surprising that he is cramping up. Root's captaincy has been a 101 on how not to handle a spearhead bowler.

ETA: Wonderful knock again from Labuschagne. He's had some luck but he's really showing the value of all those County runs. I think Australia should give him 10+ tests now before contemplating dropping him again.

14 minutes ago, Jeor said:

They think it's just cramp - at least judging from the smiles around the field it doesn't seem serious.

Who knows, Archer might just be lucking out of what would be a pretty thankless task bowling in this innings.

NO he lost his leg to a shark we will never be troubled by him again. That is what I saw 

25 minutes ago, Paxter said:

ETA: Wonderful knock again from Labuschagne. He's had some luck but he's really showing the value of all those County runs. I think Australia should give him 10+ tests now before contemplating dropping him again.

Yes, I'll conceded Labuschagne has been good value this series (albeit in the small sample space we have, sour grapes sounding out here...). In all three innings he's played he has played over 100 balls each. When the lineup is as brittle as this Australian one which collapses with a slight sneeze, having someone who can stop the slide and not get out cheaply is gold. If he keeps playing like this and Smith comes back too next game, the lineup will start to look much more solid.

EDIT: Hah! The kiss of death almost worked...Labuschagne dropped by Bairstow. He's now been dropped twice and been out off a no-ball once, but he's still there. Stokes has bowled 12 overs in a row now - what on earth is Joe Root doing. It's like he's trying to show people how not to handle bowlers.

Paine goes for a duck - he really needs to get some runs. The late session in the day has not been kind to Australia in this match.

If England bomb this tail really heavily, they might still get a target around 300ish.

1 minute ago, ljkeane said:

How have there been 16 wickets on a clear day like this at Headingley?

Without Smith playing, there really isn't a form batsmen playing in this series (maybe Marnus?) Add in a seaming Dukes ball and you have your answer.

6 minutes ago, desire said:

What do you think a good delc score on this pitch 300+?

I don't think they'll declare. With three full days of cricket to go, Australia might as well bat as long as they can and wear England's bowlers out. They've only got 4 more wickets left anyway.

5 minutes ago, Jeor said:

I don't think they'll declare. With three full days of cricket to go, Australia might as well bat as long as they can and wear England's bowlers out. They've only got 4 more wickets left anyway.

Lol. I thought D was joking?!

Was listening to my beloved pessimist Bob Willis tonight and he had a typically blunt quote to summarise the state of play:

Totally depressing. England can’t play test cricket at the moment and the Ashes have gone.

Good old England!

7 hours ago, Paxter said:

Lol. I thought D was joking?!

Haha I might not have picked up on that...

Well this whole circumstance has been quite unexpected. You would have thought with Steve Smith gone and Archer coming in for England, Australia would have been up against it. But thanks to Labuschagne the batting has some semblance of solidity and the Australian bowlers have wreaked more havoc than England.

Some difficult decisions coming up for the Australian selectors. Head scored 25 and Wade scored 33 - both important scores in the second innings in partnership with Labuschagne, but not exactly emphatic place-saving knocks. Paine has had a terrible series with the bat averaging only 13 with scores of 5, 34, 23, 4, 11, 0, but you'd think as captain he is undroppable. Marcus Harris made no impact as an opener, but this was his first game so it would seem harsh to drop him. Khawaja hasn't passed 50 this series but his Test average is still 40+ and he has established that Number 3 position over the past few years. You think the only certain selections in the batting are Warner, Smith, Labuschagne.

Archived