Cricket 37: Boycott's Grandma Probably Should Bat

Jeor

I think I'm solidly in the Australian camp now in terms of wanting them to win the Ashes.

Ben Stokes has been hideously lucky, first in the World Cup and now with that plumb LBW, and England need a comeuppance!

Wow, that was phenomenal from Stokes. The margin for error chasing that many runs 9 wickets down was absolutely tiny, I can't say I had any real hope they were going to pull it off until it got into single figures.

Still, you have to say England made incredibly hard work of that. Winning the toss was a massive advantage and even after their disaster of a first innings if Root holds onto that catch to get rid of Labuschagne for 14 they would have made it a lot easier on themselves.

I think they'll have to rejig the batting lineup for the next test. Roy just isn't working as an opener, I think they'll move Denly to opening, at least he tends to hang around for a bit, probably Stokes to 4 and maybe give Roy a chance at 5. Anderson's fitness might raise some question marks too.

Umpiring has been pretty poor the whole series. DRS isn't there to absolve the umpires of their terrible performance. They have been pretty rubbish.

But Paine takes too many desperate gambles. I think it's easy to forget that it's there for howlers, not for taking punt just incase umpires are wrong.

Yes, Australia will be second guessing a lot of things there - mainly the burnt DRS review.

But it's still a very live series at 1-1 with two Tests to play, and I don't think Justin Langer will let that affect the team. They still only need to win one more Test of the last two in order to retain the Ashes, and Steve Smith is most likely coming back into the team. The fact that there's a fair break before the next match will also be helpful to Australia in terms of regrouping for the rest of the series.

We have got a massive Ashes series on our hands - England were being rubbished by everyone including all their former captains, but they've managed to keep themselves alive and they'll potentially have Anderson coming back into the side, too.

Despite the soul crushing disappointment (how the fuck am i supposed to sleep now! gah!), this has been a top notch test series so far. So many twists and turns. England on the verge of losing it in 3 matches to having all the momentum going into the next match.

GOD I LOVE CRICKET SO DAMN MUCH! :commie:

Unbelievable from Stokes. That will go down as one of the all time great Test innings.

Australia really wilted under the pressure though - wasting a review out of sheer desperation for a ball that pitched well outside leg and Lyon bottling a straight forward run out. The bowling to Leach was pretty pathetic as well - it was mostly in that 'in between' length that was neither short enough nor full enough to trouble him and it was too easy for him to just stay on the back foot and block.

The bowling to Stokes was poor too - he was clearly in ODI mode for anything on length but the Aussie quicks seemingly forgot how to bowl full and straight. Why weren't there more deliveries like the one that got Broad bowled to both Stokes and Leach?

Anyway, well done to England. The momentum has definitely shifted in their favour given the manner of this victory while the Australians will be down in the dumps. 

Almost defies analysis that one. I was definitely well off the money writing off England early.

Where do people rank that match? Better than the tied test? Botham’s test? Edgbaston ‘05? Eden Gardens?

This has definitely been a series of immense individual performances amid team mediocrity.

3 hours ago, Jeor said:

I think I'm solidly in the Australian camp now in terms of wanting them to win the Ashes.

Ben Stokes has been hideously lucky, first in the World Cup and now with that plumb LBW, and England need a comeuppance!

I think you have to give Stokes some kudos though. He was on 60 when Leach got in and finished well over 100.

Ben Stokes is definitely the batsman I would choose to bat for my life.

His match awareness and selflessness, not to mention his talent and work ethic, are inspirational.  He did not even celebrate his 100 (just acknowledged Leach's congratulations with a fist bump) because it was all about getting England over the line.

2 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Ben Stokes is definitely the batsman I would choose to bat for my life.

His match awareness and selflessness, not to mention his talent and work ethic, are inspirational.  He did not even celebrate his 100 (just acknowledged Leach's congratulations with a fist bump) because it was all about getting England over the line.

Also factor in that Stokes was England’s best bowler in the second innings. Even the indomitable Smith isn’t making that kind of contribution.

I’m pleased that for once the Australian media is being humble in defeat - acknowledging Stokes for the most part rather than blaming the umpire. 

5 hours ago, Paxter said:

I think you have to give Stokes some kudos though. He was on 60 when Leach got in and finished well over 100.

Oh yes, absolutely true. Stokes is what you call a big-match player. His batting stats aren't actually that impressive with a Test average of 35.86 but there is no doubt he is one of those "bat for your life" guys. Add in that massive bowling effort and no one comes close to him for player of the match. This summer has defined him as England's greatest clutch player in recent history. And to think he was copping so much flak (rightly so) for his first dismissal and turned it around like this.

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

I’m pleased that for once the Australian media is being humble in defeat - acknowledging Stokes for the most part rather than blaming the umpire. 

I think the fact Australia burned the review means that the umpire is getting cut some slack. As much as the umpiring was a big error (and grumpily I do think Australia should have won that match...by one run!), it was compounded by the lost review so it's thankfully not getting much airtime.

Archived