Cricket 37: Boycott's Grandma Probably Should Bat

Jeor

What a brilliant catch!

Denly must be saving his ton for the second innings.

I am clearly staying up way too late now with the ads in Australia now spruiking "Psychic readings you can trust".

6 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

With runs slowly piling in, will England regret not having Woakes's batting in the lineup? Can Overton bat? Or are they hoping the dud batters will turn it around?

Overton can bat a bit (he has a first class century), but Woakes is clearly better.

1 hour ago, Impmk2 said:

Just had to go back to this comment. It's good to hear ;)

I stand by it. 

Archer dropped him, he almost chopped one onto his own stumps, he got a lucky reprieve with the Leach no ball and then got out to a part time spinner. He’s clearly mentally shot, one flukey score of 211 doesn’t change that.

13 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I stand by it. 

Archer dropped him, he almost chopped one onto his own stumps, he got a lucky reprieve with the Leach no ball and then got out to a part time spinner. He’s clearly mentally shot, one flukey score of 211 doesn’t change that.

I tend to take the opposite view. When someones averaging close to 150 in a series, you actually need them to make a couple low scores before you can say they've been 'Figured out'.

Anyone's going to generate some chances on the way to a double century. The first of those he was already on 65. Even if it were taken that wouldn't be a bad knock for anyone aside from Smith at the moment.

4 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

I tend to take the opposite view. When someones averaging close to 150 in a series, you actually need them to make a couple low scores before you can say they've been 'Figured out'.

Haha, don't worry @Impmk2 I am pretty sure @ljkeane is just joking!

Well that was a disastrous day for England. In that single day they've basically lost any chance to win this match and Australia will be feeling confident. They've got a chance to win here, and if they don't then they take it into the Fifth with the advantage of knowing they don't have to force a result and a draw there would be fine also. Assuming that we lose at least a couple more sessions to rain on Day 3 that really only leaves about 7 sessions of play left. Assuming that scoring trundles along at about 100 runs a session, there's not enough time for England to make a mammoth score (600+) to get a lead and then get 10 cheap Australian wickets.

If England avoid the follow-on they should be safe for a draw, so 297 will be the magic number. If Australia can bowl them out for less than that then it's game on, otherwise you would think a draw is nailed on. I think I see why Paine delayed the declaration - the Australian game plan revolved around racking up enough runs to make the follow-on a viable strategy.

3 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

I have a bad feeling. Feels like Aussies will be super dominant this match. Match gets rained to a draw. Then England gets their shit together for the last match to win the series.

Yeah, I understand that feeling too. It would be bad to "waste" a double hundred from Smith on a draw, which is probably the most likely thing to happen.

However, missed opportunity though it might turn out to be, this match is still far more preferable to having the nailbiters and batting collapses and England threatening victory in the previous three games.

Apparently the recent forecast is predicting that the morning and afternoon sessions are under severe threat of getting rained out entirely, but an extended evening session may still be possible. Better yet if it's a stop-start day, Australia's bowlers will be able to get good rest and ease into their workload. They'll need to pace themselves as it's likely they will be doing a lot of bowling on Days 4 and 5.

59 minutes ago, Paxter said:

This match sucks!! I’m tuned out and won’t watch another ball.

Thankfully Canadians hate cricket.

With play almost about to get underway?? Although I guess I can understand you refusing to watch, given that your hero Denly has already gotten out....

9 minutes ago, Jeor said:

With play almost about to get underway?? Although I guess I can understand you refusing to watch, given that your hero Denly has already gotten out....

Haha stop being so gleeful. It hurts.

Time for Root to play another good innings. I still think this pitch might end up being Jason Roy's salvation - if Root/Burns can wear off the shine, the stage is set for a counterattack by Roy, Stokes, Buttler and Bairstow. They might not be in a position to win the match from here but they can still play strongly and it's a chance for Roy and Buttler to get some runs.

11 hours ago, Jeor said:

Haha, don't worry @Impmk2 I am pretty sure @ljkeane is just joking!

To be clear yes I was joking.

I actually do genuinely think Smith didn’t look quite as good yesterday as he did at Edgebaston and at Lords before he made Archer angry. There were a few false shots and he did get a lucky reprieve. So, yeah, he wasn’t quite at his very best and he still got a double hundred.

Solid enough start from England and Burns gets his 50 as I’m writing this.

Just to restore sanity by discussing a much more interesting test match...Afghanistan are in a great position after the first two days against Bangladesh. And it's that man Rashid Khan putting aside a forgettable World Cup to dismiss both Shakib and Mushi.

For Bangladesh this is pretty damn embarrassing. It took them so many years to get their first test win while Afghanistan seem to be doing it easy. Sadly the Afghans are not in the Test Championship.

As I suspected, this is looking to be a draw...

Good solid batting from England. That last innings at Headingley has really done them a world of good and it probably doesn't hurt that this Old Trafford pitch is looking pretty benign.

Archived