Cricket 37: Boycott's Grandma Probably Should Bat

Jeor

Just now, ljkeane said:

Paine’s series fittingly ends with a failed review.

I thought he was going to get away with it - Dharmasena took an age before he gave it. And England had no reviews left. I thought it might have pitched outside leg but it didn't, and at least it wasn't umpire's call so Paine can't have any complaints.

6 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Man, what did Wade do to piss off Archer? What did i miss? Or is Archer still salty about the Hurricanes/Strikers switch comment from last match?

Don't think there was any incident in particular. Archer's probably just grumpy that he's got no wickets so far this innings.

It's really been feast or famine for Wade this series. Maddening for the team but in the end perfect for Wade...the century at the start cemented his place for the whole series and the century at the end will ensure he keeps his place.

If Australia hadn't dropped all those catches (someone on cricinfo suggested Denly, Root and Stokes all dropped cost 180 runs) they would be winning by now. Still, much too far away now.

Root is bowling the spinners here against the tailenders...must be because he's waiting for the new ball when Archer and Broad can finish them off. I wonder if the Aussies would go off for bad light just to piss England off and get them coming back for day five...

That all ended very quickly. 

Aussies will feel a bit hard done by with a 2-2 scoreline - I think they did play better for the majority of the series, even if most of that was down to Smith. The Headingley result really swung that scoreline.

A great series though - some close matches, and really good bowling which was great to see. Much better to see wickets tumbling rather than ODI-style biff-fests in Test matches.

Australia were overall marginally the better side but 2-2 probably just about fairly reflects the balance of the sides. The England win at Headingley was a bit of a freak result based on some improbable heroics from Stokes but the Australian batting was heavily reliant on a freak performance with the bat from Smith.

It'll be interesting to see what both sides do with their captains after this series. Paine's lead Australia to their best result in England for 18 years and retained the Ashes but he does look a bit of a passenger. Root's captaincy hasn't been great and it does seem to be impairing his batting which England really can't afford, the only problem is the lack of obvious alternatives.

Archived