Cricket 37: Boycott's Grandma Probably Should Bat

Jeor

3 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

At least one of their openers have done well (Burns). Aussies just had duds at the opening slots.

The problem is that England are still losing early wickets and exposing Root to the new ball.

It's a bloodbath out there with Australia's lefty openers and Stuart Broad. Sack them all!

Joe Burns won't be called up as he's not in the squad. In retrospect it might have not been a bad idea to have a right-handed opener (not named Bancroft) in the squad.

EDIT: Harris burned a review there too, although in his defence it was very close to being an umpire's call situation.

Every wicket they get will increase the chances of a draw, because Australia are going to have bat more cautiously and that will keep the run rate down. England just have to keep getting wickets and it might take the declaration out of the equation tonight.

Well, for once we aren't going to see the Smith/Labuschagne show.

Australia obviously still in the driving seat, but a big collapse for 120 all out might be a blessing in disguise if they can bowl equally well at England. Maybe we'll have another nailbiter on our hands!

6 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Every wicket they get will increase the chances of a draw, because Australia are going to have bat more cautiously and that will keep the run rate down. England just have to keep getting wickets and it might take the declaration out of the equation tonight.

I don't think Australia's caution will matter, as they suck at defense anyway. Marnus and Smith is what saved them, not being caution or good defensive technique. So more wickets swings it towards England more than draw (although I am assuming English batter will actually show up and not collapse like Ausseis are, which is debatable lol)

5 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

So more wickets swings it towards England more than draw

I'm quite sanguine about the chances of an English victory (i.e. not worried about it). Even if the Aussies get skittled for 100 (which I'm pretty sure they won't be), on this pitch with a new ball I'd be quietly confident of defending a target of 300. I'm more concerned about the prospect of playing out a draw, which I still think is the most likely option.

3 minutes ago, Philokles said:

Cricviz reckon Head’s wicket has increased Australia’s chances by 4%, as it will give them more time to bowl England out. Not sure whether that has taken a potential declaration into account.

Australia are no doubt aiming to declare in order to have England back in for 10 overs before the end of the day.

With only 46 overs remaining today (and some of those likely will be lost to bad light right at the end, plus 2-3 overs lost for the innings changeover) I suspect the real total of overs left is more like 40 at most.

That gives Australia 30 overs more to bat. It doesn't really matter how many wickets fall in that time (unless they get bowled out) so long as they can add another 100 runs to set a target of 350 they'll be in the box seat. I know England chased down 350+ last time, but I just don't see it happening again.

Smith showing a fair bit of intent in that first over off Leach. They may well try and get some quick kamikaze runs.

Better to score 100 more runs off 20 overs and get bowled out than score 90 runs off 30 overs.

2 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Warner's getting organised for something - he's getting all his ducks in a row...

He's getting organised to getting dropped and (hopefully) ending his career....one can but hope!

This is a good little post-tea session. England have started to set defensive fields and the singles are coming relatively easily. Australia are pretty safe now, they can't get bowled out before they would have wanted to declare anyway. So it's just a matter of how many runs they'll be able to play with.

1 minute ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Hmm, not sure what Root is trying to do? I thought he'd press for more wickets but he seems to be very defensive at the moment. I guess he thinks they can't chase this total down so he is not really pushing for a victory. Probably going for a draw and take it to the last match?

Yes, I think Root is just trying defensive fields to restrict the runs (which isn't working). Ideally if he could stop the flow of runs then he would be postponing Australia's declaration, hence England would have less time to have to survive. I think it was a mistake for him to open with Leach and Overton though. Leach and one of Archer/Broad would have been a bit more menacing. As it is, England have basically surrendered control of this session.

Archived