Japan Travel Suggestions

Mexal

My wife and I are taking a trip to Japan in November for 15 days. We will be in Tokyo, Hakone, Naoshima, Kyoto with day trips to Nara and Hiroshima. Might do a day trip from Tokyo too but haven’t figure out which one. We know there are a lot of other great places to go too and will save it for the next trip.

As we plan out our itinerary, she suggested I consult the hive mind so here I am. Any suggestions for must do things, most especially food recs (cheap, expensive - I care not, just want tasty), would be greatly appreciated. We love to eat and love Japanese food! 

Thanks!

Sounds like a blast.  I hope you both have fun.  I know someone who visited Japan earlier this summer for a couple of weeks with her brother.  They were in Tokyo and also spent a couple of nights in both Kyoto and Osaka.  

She raved about the food when she got back.  I couldn’t name any specific restaurants, but I think a lot of them were just casual spots or impulse decisions.

They saw the usual sights in downtown Tokyo, like Akihabara.  She said there were also some beautiful parks, and they just enjoyed walking around and soaking up the experience.  

My wife has suggested a trip to Korea and Japan next summer.  It’s still under consideration for now, especially with the humid summers there.  It’s such a pity to have travel restricted by the school calendar.

6 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

My sister lived in Osaka for many years and Osaka Castle along with the park and gardens surrounding, will surely be worth your while.

Hmm. We had originally planned on staying in Osaka for a few days but decided to base out of Kyoto and do a day trip or two from there. Might regret that decision, especially the more I read about the food in Osaka.

7 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Sounds like a blast.  I hope you both have fun.  I know someone who visited Japan earlier this summer for a couple of weeks with her brother.  They were in Tokyo and also spent a couple of nights in both Kyoto and Osaka.  

She raved about the food when she got back.  I couldn’t name any specific restaurants, but I think a lot of them were just casual spots or impulse decisions.

They saw the usual sights in downtown Tokyo, like Akihabara.  She said there were also some beautiful parks, and they just enjoyed walking around and soaking up the experience.  

My wife has suggested a trip to Korea and Japan next summer.  It’s still under consideration for now, especially with the humid summers there.  It’s such a pity to have travel restricted by the school calendar.

We're trying to get this trip done before kids because summer schedules are hell. From what I understand, Japan is absolutely brutal in the summer.

Google is saying Kyoto"s about an hour and 20 mins to the castle, so it's not too awfully far.

I've heard Edo Castle near Tokyo is nice too but I don't recall whether any of my relatives visited that castle, just that they loved Osaka castle.

Anyways very excited for you, if I talk to my sis soon I"'ll ask her and husband for recommends, he is native to Osaka.

I spent two weeks in Japan two years ago; it was amazing.

First of all, if you haven't made transportation arrangements I strongly recommend getting the JR Pass. It allows unlimited rides on almost all the train lines (I think everything except the super highspeed express between Kyoto and Tokyo, you have to use the regular high-speed train instead) and unlimited rides on most of the Tokyo subway system. Fantastic for day trips and just getting around in general.

Second, pretty much all the food is fantastic. I just ate at whatever passing places I saw so I can't give any specific recommendations, but I will say that make sure you try the more exotic stuff if you're up for it. I had one dinner in Kabukicho that translated to something like "Meal of Nine Entrails" and it was great.

Third, the parks and temples are fantastic, even the reconstructed ones in Tokyo are beautiful (remember, because of the firebombing there's very little in the city older than 1945). Definitely devote some time to just wandering around. And, when you're in the area, Himeji Castle is breathtaking.

Fourth, the big tourist districts and destinations in Tokyo and Kyoto are that for a reason. Akihabara, Ginza, Shinjuku, Shibuya, etc. are all a lot of fun to visit, albeit for differing reasons. E.g. if you don't have any interest in high end shopping, you may want to skip Ginza. Also, the view from the observation deck of the Tokyo Metropolitan Building is totally worth it, even if you generally don't care about that kind of thing (And I usually don't). Seeing the city stretch out in every direction as far as I could see is the most I've ever felt like I wasn't in the real world; it was a SciFi landscape to my perspective. And I say that as someone who's lived in US East Coast cities most of my life.

Happy to give any other advice you want.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

I heard from a friend that there is a neat park with temples and deer. And they give you special deer crackers to feed them.

This is Nara, it's one of the day trips we are looking at from Kyoto.

10 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Google is saying Kyoto"s about an hour and 20 mins to the castle, so it's not too awfully far.

I've heard Edo Castle near Tokyo is nice too but I don't recall whether any of my relatives visited that castle, just that they loved Osaka castle.

Anyways very excited for you, if I talk to my sis soon I"'ll ask her and husband for recommends, he is native to Osaka.

Yea, it's not very far. We could easily make a trip there. The issue was trying to balance two day trips and seeing everything in Kyoto + Yamazaki Distillery. I'm going to look into the timings again and see how we can make it work.

30 minutes ago, Fez said:

I spent two weeks in Japan two years ago; it was amazing.

First of all, if you haven't made transportation arrangements I strongly recommend getting the JR Pass. It allows unlimited rides on almost all the train lines (I think everything except the super highspeed express between Kyoto and Tokyo, you have to use the regular high-speed train instead) and unlimited rides on most of the Tokyo subway system. Fantastic for day trips and just getting around in general.

Second, pretty much all the food is fantastic. I just ate at whatever passing places I saw so I can't give any specific recommendations, but I will say that make sure you try the more exotic stuff if you're up for it. I had one dinner in Kabukicho that translated to something like "Meal of Nine Entrails" and it was great.

Third, the parks and temples are fantastic, even the reconstructed ones in Tokyo are beautiful (remember, because of the firebombing there's very little in the city older than 1945). Definitely devote some time to just wandering around. And, when you're in the area, Himeji Castle is breathtaking.

Fourth, the big tourist districts and destinations in Tokyo and Kyoto are that for a reason. Akihabara, Ginza, Shinjuku, Shibuya, etc. are all a lot of fun to visit, albeit for differing reasons. E.g. if you don't have any interest in high end shopping, you may want to skip Ginza. Also, the view from the observation deck of the Tokyo Metropolitan Building is totally worth it, even if you generally don't care about that kind of thing (And I usually don't). Seeing the city stretch out in every direction as far as I could see is the most I've ever felt like I wasn't in the real world; it was a SciFi landscape to my perspective. And I say that as someone who's lived in US East Coast cities most of my life.

Happy to give any other advice you want.

Thanks Fez. We're planning on getting the JR Pass, just haven't purchased it yet. Did you ever have any issues with seating? Good call on the Tokyo Metro Building, love the idea of that kind of view if the setting itself is unique.

There are a few special meals we're trying to plan out but I think a lot of them will be as you say, just somewhere we wonder by and hop in for a bite.

4 hours ago, Mexal said:

This is Nara, it's one of the day trips we are looking at from Kyoto.

Yea, it's not very far. We could easily make a trip there. The issue was trying to balance two day trips and seeing everything in Kyoto + Yamazaki Distillery. I'm going to look into the timings again and see how we can make it work.

Thanks Fez. We're planning on getting the JR Pass, just haven't purchased it yet. Did you ever have any issues with seating? Good call on the Tokyo Metro Building, love the idea of that kind of view if the setting itself is unique.

There are a few special meals we're trying to plan out but I think a lot of them will be as you say, just somewhere we wonder by and hop in for a bite.

Nope, I never had any issues with JR Pass or seating or the trains at all. There are some specific rules about where and how to line up on the platform for the regional trains. But absolutely everyone I met who worked in customer-facing jobs, including both the train companies and everything else, was so extraordinarily polite and helpful that I always got guidance about what I was supposed to be doing. Often before I even realized I needed help.

Also, someone mentioned the deer park, it's real and it's great. I walked through it on the way to hike up Mt Wakakusa and see some of the Shinto shrines and Buddhist temples there.

Speaking of the Buddhist temples, it's a bit of a cultural shock if you didn't know (like I didn't) that Japan still uses swastikas to mark on maps and signposts where the Temples are (Google Maps uses it too for Japan). The temples themselves often have ornate, carved swastikas as well. They face the opposite direction and are angled differently than the Nazi swastika, but it still took me some time to get used to seeing them.

On 8/26/2019 at 7:07 AM, Mexal said:

We're trying to get this trip done before kids because summer schedules are hell. From what I understand, Japan is absolutely brutal in the summer.

Really? I Googled it and it didn't seem bad at all. The only hold up I saw were the chances for some typhoon like rain.

@Mexal

The rugby world cup finishes at the start of November so there are probably a few tourists hanging around after that. I didn’t think summer was too bad although I live in Brisbane which has similar humidity. I know others felt it oppressive.

I lived in Kanagawa and Tokyo for 5 years about 2 decades ago, so I won’t mention specific shops/restaurants as I think they’ll be closed. I travelled through a lot of Japan. Kyoto is beautiful, the skiing in Niigata is good, as are the onsen. I cannot recommend Hiroshima enough, not only is the peace park, etc. done well but there’s that shrine out in the water you’ll need to get a boat out to. Okinawa is great although you’d have to fly.

Most of my time was spent in Tokyo. You can spend your time exploring every stop on the Yamanote line and by the time you get the whole way around, things have changed enough to do it again. Depending on what you like, I’m sure you’ll find something. Akihabara has electronic goods. Shibuya and Shinjuku have good shopping, as do many other stops. I always thought the ramen in shinjuku was excellent but Shibuya has that iconic crossing at Hatchiko square. Hatchiko’s story is quite touching too. There are also a few good museums and galleries around Shibuya.  Ebisu has a decent brewery (Yebisu), especially if you aren’t going up to Sapporo. Avoid Roppongi unless you want to hang around with Gaijin. Visit the imperial palace from Tokyo station (although I think Kamakura is better but it’s a day trip).

I recommend getting off at Harajuku and walking into Yoyogi park and visiting Meiji Jingu (shrine) then you can walk back across the train line and walk through Harajuku to Omotesando. Walk down the hill straight across from Harajuku station and through some of the alleyways there are markets and street food that are great on weekends, This is the start of Takeshita street. At the other end, turn right then walk down to the main road (~200m) and turn left onto a tree lined road through Omotesando that has a lot of upmarket shopping and food. If you don’t find anything good through Harajuku, there are more than enough places to eat in Omotesando, albeit expensive. Rereading that, there is a fair amount of walking as Yoyogi park isn’t small but you can get a train at the end from omotesando station to anywhere, or any other station you pass.

Day trips from Tokyo: I would do Kamakura. Great historical city. The 5th station at Mt Fuji is decent (one of the only times I got a bus). As its not summer you won’t be able to climb, at least I don’t think so. Yokohama landmark tower is the second tallest building in Japan (after that one above Osaka train station, i think) and is good to go up for the view. The shopping and surrounds are quite good and beautiful at night. If you like theme parks, Fujikyu (Fuji-Q apparently now) Highlands is better than Tokyo Disney or Disney Sea unless you have young kids with you. Definitely Fujikyu highlands if you do any theme parks. If you are staying outside of the middle of Tokyo, that is where I always found the best sushi and yakiniku.

In regards to getting a JR pass, it depends on what you plan to do and where as to which one to get. There are many options. Some give discounts on some Shinkansen (bullet train) and others don’t. I don’t think I ever actually got a seat on the yamanote line or even on another line close to there, but things aren’t as busy as you get further away from the yamanote line (which is considered the middle of Tokyo kinda/essentially). The train system is excellent and navigable but may look complex at first glance as it crisscrosses everything. It’s the best way to travel without a doubt. In a city with over 30M people, avoid driving. Ganbatte.

On 8/26/2019 at 4:12 AM, Mexal said:

My wife and I are taking a trip to Japan in November for 15 days. We will be in Tokyo, Hakone, Naoshima, Kyoto with day trips to Nara and Hiroshima. Might do a day trip from Tokyo too but haven’t figure out which one. We know there are a lot of other great places to go too and will save it for the next trip.

As we plan out our itinerary, she suggested I consult the hive mind so here I am. Any suggestions for must do things, most especially food recs (cheap, expensive - I care not, just want tasty), would be greatly appreciated. We love to eat and love Japanese food! 

Thanks!

Add Osaka to your list, I really liked it.

The one thing I was informed about Japan is that their National Tourist Organization is very keen on giving tourists a lot of free tickets, discounts etc. So, you may want to check those because as I understood my friend, she saved quite a lot of money during the trip due to Japanese NTO.

Archived