Watch, Watched, Watching: Hunting Minds

Ramsay B.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

No, but Jimmy was...

And he got offed.  And I was glad! :laugh:

And I highly admire both series and their actors and the writing.  At least for Boardwalk Empire until Winter screwed the pooch by pretending to go to Florida and Cuba, when they never even got off the set, and it was such a phony looking set.  It really went to hell in that arc.  Winter doesn't get anything outside of NJ, one thinks.  But those earlier seasons were -- mostly -- just sheer brilliance.

But it didn't have those magnificent horses that get scenes in every season of Peaky Blinders.  PB gets Zorral's "Quality of Horses" -- A+. Especially when Shelby is riding one.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Last night I watched the second Schwarzenegger Conan The Destroyer flick (1984), having watched the first one, Conan the Barbarian (1982), early this spring.  I really enjoyed both of them.  Such innocence in contrast to later screen fantasy.  These films also do a fine job with sets and costumes and special effects -- very imaginative.  The sorcerer who transforms himself into a giant smoke bird to abduct the virgin princess was magnificent.  It holds up to present cgi special effects -- and probably superior to most of the heavy-handed stuff we see these days.  I think I liked the first one more, but the second one has Grace Jones, who wears a furry tale on her loin cloth -- which she gives a cunning shake and shimmy for the camera at one point as she ascends a set of stone steps in a mountain cliff.  The bits sly humor in these films really make it.

Uncomplicated fun, for sure.  "Quality of Horses" -- B-.  But this was made-up for by the long distance shots of riders and carts making their way across a desert horizon at sunset.

24 minutes ago, Zorral said:
Spoiler

And he got offed.  And I was glad!

:laugh:

I'd take the spoiler out of your quote. That moment was the best scene of BE and it would be a shame to ruin that for people who haven't seen it yet

5 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Peaky is the cheap mans Boardwalk Empire. 

I didn’t love Boardwalk Empire either.  It was ok for a couple of seasons but felt a bit flat, a bit boring.  Jimmy’s sniper friend was the most interesting character.

Peaky Blinders struggles for plot but it has Tom Hardy, a punk rock sound track and some dramatic cinematography, so its high points are higher.  

I "watched" Ma twice this weekend, falling asleep both times. I read the plot on Wiki and it sounds like it got better, or at least things happened, but good god the first 45 minutes of that movie are boring as hell.

On 9/3/2019 at 2:40 PM, Triskele said:

I just saw The Wicker Man for the first time.  It was a real joy to watch.  I had high expectations for a "so bad it's good" kind of effect, and it met them.  

Something I find fascinating about Nic Cage is that it's not clear to me whether he's self-aware or not.  

I watched this yesterday. While it was pretty damn silly I kinda expected it to be crazier. Cage does have some good outbursts, including a ridiculous kick to a young lady who then acts like she was shot by a shotgun, and of course the bees. I mean overall it did its job. I was surprised and dismayed to see Molly Parker in it too.

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I didn’t love Boardwalk Empire either.  It was ok for a couple of seasons but felt a bit flat, a bit boring.  Jimmy’s sniper friend was the most interesting character.

Peaky Blinders struggles for plot but it has Tom Hardy, a punk rock sound track and some dramatic cinematography, so its high points are higher.  

Each their own. I thought Boardwalk was on a different level of quality to Peaky. Definitely disagree that the cinematography battle would go to PB.  

Only BE season that fell flat for me was the final shortened one which was super rushed and way too Nucky focused. 

Boardwalks ensemble was extremely good. You mentioned Harrow but I thought Rothstein, Van Alden, Chalky, Capone, Gillian,  Narcisse, Lansky, etc were all good/interesting characters. Really the only thing Peaky has over BE for me is Thomas Shelby is a much more magnetic lead character than Nucky.

edit: also the punk rock soundtrack was something I never really liked. Boardwalks more period fitting music was much better imo.

45 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Boardwalks ensemble was extremely good. You mentioned Harrow but I thought Rothstein, Van Alden, Chalky, Capone, Gillian,  Narcisse, Lansky, etc were all good/interesting characters. Really the only thing Peaky has over BE for me is Thomas Shelby is a much more magnetic lead character than Nucky.

edit: also the punk rock soundtrack was something I never really liked. Boardwalks more period fitting music was much better imo.

:agree: Even so though, I do like PB's intro song a lot.

Well hell I guess I'll weigh in on the Peaky Blinders vs Boardwalk Empire discussion. I feel like BE first couple seasons are better than PB's best seasons overall, but I will say that BE went downhill faster than PB. IMO last season was PB's worst one so far and BE had a few bad ones.

Nucky vs Thomas Shelby is tough, Shelby is more magnetic yes, but Buscemi is a better actor, IMO.

When BE did this I was not happy

Spoiler

BE killed Darmody ruined the show for me. There were some good performances and stories after him but to me he helped carry the show.

Peaky Blinders also has such short seasons that even last season didn't overstay its welcome.  Through four seasons Boardwalk Empire had twice as many episodes, and sometimes I thought it dragged.  That's not really an issue with Blinders because the seasons are only six episodes long.

I never really finished BE. Lost interest pretty soon after 

Spoiler

Jimmy died. By far the most interesting character. I like Buscemi a lot but Nucky and his Scottish wife bored me to tears. I wonder what happened to Michael Shannon's character though, him and Chalky were occassionaly fun to watch as well.

So definitely in the PB camp. I feel BE was way to pretentious for its own good. It just wanted to be this BIG IMPORTANT DRAMA and fell short. PB is refreshingly self-aware of how campy it is.

I also felt that BE really went downhill after season 2. Season 3 was okay thanks to Bobby Cannavale but the show never gets close to the heights of the first two seasons. They burned through Jimmy's story far too quickly and he was a much more interesting character than Nucky (actually just about every other character was more interesting than Nucky). I think they should have set it up for Jimmy to eventually take over the AC operations. That would have been consistent with how things panned out for his peers - the greenhorns in season 1 (Jimmy, Al, Charlie and Meyer) learning the ropes, gaining power and eventually ousting the old guard (Nucky, Torrio, Masseria and Rothstein). 

59 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

actually just about every other character was more interesting than Nucky).

disagree entirely!  That this stringy guy with his background got to where he was, and was able to stay there -- that was far more interesting than a guy who was bully and abuser.

On 9/4/2019 at 1:11 AM, dbunting said:

Finished Derry Girls. I liked it but don't love it. Definitely like a lot of the characters. Tough watch for me because I had a hard time understanding some of what was being said. Love the Grandfather and the dad though.

Subtitles.  Subtitles.  Subtitles.

I'm half deaf so I use them all the time anyway.  But with that one, it was the only way for a dumb Yank to follow.

40 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

Subtitles.  Subtitles.  Subtitles.

I'm half deaf so I use them all the time anyway.  But with that one, it was the only way for a dumb Yank to follow.

I hate subtitles. I watched a couple of movies like that and I get too distracted. When I watch a show or a movie, especially in the theater I spend a lot of time looking around the screen at the back ground items (little weird I guess), so reading subtitles keeps me from doing it.

Just now, dbunting said:

I hate subtitles. I watched a couple of movies like that and I get too distracted. When I watch a show or a movie, especially in the theater I spend a lot of time looking around the screen at the back ground items (little weird I guess), so reading subtitles keeps me from doing it.

I used to live with a woman who is not a native speaker of English.  The subtitles helped her a LOT.  So when we broke up, I turned them off.  Then turned them back on a few days later - they were helping me as well.

4 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

I used to live with a woman who is not a native speaker of English.  The subtitles helped her a LOT.  So when we broke up, I turned them off.  Then turned them back on a few days later - they were helping me as well.

I'm not deaf, but my hearing is increasingly bad as I reach the age of 43. I find myself often using the subtitles these days while streaming Netflix and the like. I don't think it's ideal for what I'm viewing, but it is better than missing what happened. Sometimes I'll just turn them on for when I missed something though.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

I'm not deaf, but my hearing is increasingly bad as I reach the age of 43. I find myself often using the subtitles these days while streaming Netflix and the like. I don't think it's ideal for what I'm viewing, but it is better than missing what happened. Sometimes I'll just turn them on for when I missed something though.

It's also helpful when you're super high and have two dogs being obnoxiously loud.

Just saw the Fanatic with some friends. It’s what would happen if you placed Nicholas cage in The Room and told him to do his best Dustin Hoffman Rain Man impression. The first line from Travolta let’s you know just how it’s gonna go: I can’t talk for too long I gotta poo. 

1 hour ago, Bonnot OG said:

Just saw the Fanatic with some friends. It’s what would happen if you placed Nicholas cage in The Room and told him to do his best Dustin Hoffman Rain Man impression. The first line from Travolta let’s you know just how it’s gonna go: I can’t talk for too long I gotta poo. 

I just watched Chris Stuckmann’s Hilariocity review for this. It looks beyond ridiculous. Not surprised considering the director is Fred Durst...

Archived