Watch, Watched, Watching: Hunting Minds

Ramsay B.

While working at home yesterday I watched Mother! on my lunch break. Wow. What a waste of time. I've seen worse films, yes, but not that many. It did have its entertaining moments (few and far between) but my goodness, it was so l-o-n-g. Wish I hadn't bothered.

10 hours ago, WarGalley said:

How did you like S1? I'm very intrigued by this show but I have a big queue going already..

I enjoyed it. Entertaining dark comedy about a hitman/enforceman juggling work with his family life. Scott Ryan is fantastic in the lead role. It's a quick season with episodes only about 30 minutes. Easy for me to squeeze in an episode here and there. I recommend it, but understand have a number of shows waiting.

I finished watching the final season of Legion. While still often very strange, I thought the third season was probably a bit more coherent than season 2. The 'time eaters' were an interesting new threat and Navid Negahban continued to steal every scene he was in as Amahl Farouk. Harry Lloyd also did a good job as a young Charles Xavier. I think it came to a reasonably satisfying ending, even if some of the plot resolution felt a bit too easy. One of the things I like about it is that it's a superhero show where the resolution of plotlines doesn't tend to come down to a fight scene (the show even gives Farouk some dialogue in the finale saying how dull such things would be). I do also like the imagination and creativity of the story and visuals, and it had some great music choices. However, I think it could still benefit from being a bit more comprehensible at times and character development sometimes get sacrificed to make way for strangeness.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is anyone checking out The Righteous Gemstones? The first episode was a little weaker than I'd like, but the show looks like it has a lot of potential. The cast is great and the premise has a lot to play with. 

I’m liking it. Anyone that liked Eastbound and Down and Vice Principals probably will, too. 

The former satan worshiper guy cracks me up. 

On 9/18/2019 at 1:54 PM, red snow said:

I enjoyed the first episode a lot but I'm watching it with someone else so can only do next episode when they can. 

It's excellent. I finished all 8 episodes and it's a really good show, and one that is clearly topical & important.

Highly recommend.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

It's excellent. I finished all 8 episodes and it's a really good show, and one that is clearly topical & important.

Highly recommend.

Episode 2 was very strong. I loved the contrast between how the police treat both victims. 

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Havent seen it but read your spoiler....hardly a spoiler given that happens at least once every season :lol:

Ah yes, but I'd rather be safe than sorry :) There might be other scenes that loose their tension if people know which character I'm talking about. 

I finished s1 of Peaky Blinders and think it’s just decent so far, but will continue. I started s2 and finally got to Tom Hardy. How many episodes is he in? I’m afraid to look it up and get spoiled more.

Spoiler

I know he “dies” at some point as I accidentally saw an article saying that some people think his character will return.

On 9/19/2019 at 6:00 PM, Ramsay B. said:

I finished s1 of Peaky Blinders and think it’s just decent so far, but will continue. I started s2 and finally got to Tom Hardy. How many episodes is he in? I’m afraid to look it up and get spoiled more.

Hide contents

I know he “dies” at some point as I accidentally saw an article saying that some people think his character will return.

He's in a bunch.  I'd say at least eight or more but I haven't watched in a while so I don't know for sure.  

Saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood yesterday. Good times at the movies I'd say, but nothing earth shattering as far as I'm concerned. Thoroughly enjoyed it, but I don't think this one will has the same legs as Tarantino's best work. Nice to see Brad Pitt and Leo back again, wish we had more movie stars like them.

I went to see Ad Astra today, which I thought was good overall but perhaps not without some issues. It's got a slightly weird mix of introspective character moments and tense action scenes. The performances are good, particularly a restrained performance by Brad Pitt in the lead role - I did feel the narration we get during the film was maybe a bit unnecessary because I think he did a good enough job of showing what he was feeling without needing to tell us as well. It does look spectacular as Pitt journeys across the solar system, and has a good soundtrack as well. The overall shape of the plot was fine (it works a lot better than in Interstellar, for example) but there were times when it felt a bit contrived.

The ape attack on the space station was tense but it did feel like an unlikely diversion. Considering how important Pitt's mission was to the continued existence of the solar system they shouldn't really have been distracted by it and he definitely shouldn't be the one going on board.

Saw the last episode of Peaky Blinders. Not very pleased with it, although I'm guessing there are two things most people here will go apeshit over

Spoiler

1. The return of Tom Hardy. it might be bullocks, but God I was cheering to have him back. His Alfie is so much better than Hardy's lead role in his own dreary BBC series, give the man a spin-off!

2. Aidan Gillen got brutally murdered. A shame, I liked Aberama

All in all it was a bit of a shocker as it really did not follow the mold of earlier seasons. Curious to see how it continuous. 

Archived