Watch, Watched, Watching: Hunting Minds

Ramsay B.

Ah, I did not realize, but Vincent Philip D'Onofrio is a major character on the Godfather of Harlem. The cast is absurdly stacked with talent. I'm about half an ep in and enjoying it so far. They don't do as well with minor characters (one of the things Narcos specializes in), but the major characters and actors really pop.

13 hours ago, Conflicting Thought said:

Im watching LOVE on netflix, like 6 episodes in, and, i dont know how i feel about it, it has some funny moments but i cant help thinking is just all some wish fulfillmet shit from the writers, specialy since the lead actor is also writer and i think creator?. Like every girl just falls for him out of no where. 

I would finish the first season of it. They did something genuinely surprising at the end of the season with it.

Netflix making a lot of dumb cutting decisions these days. Oh well, look forward to season 6 at least.

It’ll soon be time to say goodbye to Hollywoo, as BoJack Horseman will conclude with its upcoming sixth season on Netflix. Even in the Peak TV era, it’s always a relief when such a highly-regarded series gets to end on its own terms, but according to star Aaron Paul, the decision didn’t come from the show’s creative team.

Paul, who is an executive producer as well as a voice actor on BoJack, wrote on Twitter that “sadly Netflix thought it was time to close the curtains,” adding, “They gave us a home for 6 beautiful years. Nothing we could do about it.

Aaron Paul says Netflix decided 'it was time' to end BoJack Horseman

https://ew.com/tv/2019/09/28/aaron-paul-says-netflix-decided-end-bojack-horseman/

On 9/29/2019 at 12:11 AM, Joey Crows said:

Just finished a rewatch of Peep Show. 

It’s so good! It has the awkward comedy typical of many great British shows and the borderline psychopathy of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Aaaand it launched the career of Olivia Colman...

Borderline?  I love that show.  It's been years since I've watched it.

4 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I watched the Director’s cut of Midsommar and didn’t think it really added much. A few things here and there, but 145 minutes is more than enough. I felt that extra 25 minutes by the end.

I did like the water ceremony scene, and that it explained how...

Connie was killed, and why her body looked the way it did at the end.

Other than that, yeah, nothing too important. Mainly just driving home how awful Christian is, and a little extra about the thesis. I adore this film though, so I was completely fine spending a little more time in that world. 

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I did like the water ceremony scene, and that it explained how...

Reveal hidden contents

Connie was killed, and why her body looked the way it did at the end.

Other than that, yeah, nothing too important. Mainly just driving home how awful Christian is, and a little extra about the thesis. I adore this film though, so I was completely fine spending a little more time in that world. 

Spoiler

I wouldn’t have put together the Connie thing if I didn’t read about it after. Makes sense though. The fool was also way more of a fool in this cut too.

I again only saw the sister’s face in the background after she wins the dance-off. The interwebs says there’s more but I don’t know? I was searching like a hawk the whole time.

I’ve been listening to Attestupan a lot. Such a great score.

7 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I watched the Director’s cut of Midsommar and didn’t think it really added much. A few things here and there, but 145 minutes is more than enough. I felt that extra 25 minutes by the end.

We just watched the theatrical cut on Sunday. Good shit. My wife absolutely loved it. Florence Pugh is my hero.

See, I wasn't that sold by it. Saw it with a bunch of friends and we were kinda underwhelmed. I appreciate the craft, but I just find the writing to be a touch lackluster. I haven't seen Hereditary, but I probably will. I feel like all the hype around the film made me think I was going to watch something that was going to knock my socks off, but unfortunately that wasn't the case!

I'm watching fifth season of The Affair and I must admit I didn't believe it could work after what happened in season four finale, but strangely, it does. And what a disturbing way of showing what the world can look like around 2050...

I'm mostly interested in Joanie's timeline, but Noah and Helen are not that bad either.

Bold move, anyway, to continue the story after the events of season four, and for me it clicked.

4 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

I'm mostly interested in Joanie's timeline

Me too.  As usual though, I find Whitney to be so BORING I can't stand it.  Also for some reason, after realizing there wasn't going to be any Joanie, I quit half way through last week's ep and never went back.  Haven't seen the latest one either.

Maybe because I got bogged down with the o so not historically correct The White Princess?  I mean, really, Catherine of Aragon arrives in England barely 15 years old, he who will be Henry VIII is only 10, but on tv they both look -- especially the actress playing Catherine -- at least 29 years old!, and have sexy smoldering going on before they even meet, because Henry had pretended to be her betrothed, Arthur, Prince of Wales, and wrote her sexy letters, which she answered in equally non-convent Catholic girl-child manner.  That's just for starters. Let's not even to Queen Isabella's characterization.  She was truly one of the strongest, most powerful rulers Europe has ever known, and smartest and best -- male or female.  But tv etc. can't seem to figure out how to show a strong, smart, powerful woman in history unless she is swinging a  sword and killing people.  Sorry folks.  Yes, Isabella traveled with her armies.  She even directed a lot of their action.  But she did not fight, was not trained in sword play, and was always careful to publicly give credit to her husband or some other man.  Very stategic all that. Thus far too smart and complicated for tv to write.

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

Me too.  As usual though, I find Whitney to be so BORING I can't stand it.  Also for some reason, after realizing there wasn't going to be any Joanie, I quit half way through last week's ep and never went back.  Haven't seen the latest one either.

Well, the last one is all from Joanie's perspective and it is really good. We even get a glimpse of Cole and Alison.

Now I remember why I always watch Enter the Dragon and not Game of Death. While the final sequences are awesome, the movie as a whole is kind of bad. Sure they had to deal with this slight problem of their star dying midway through production, but come on man. Some of the scenes were just lazy AF. 

The Crow did it better. 

On 9/28/2019 at 4:47 PM, dbunting said:

So another don't waste your time Netflix movie. The Outsider.  I had some time to kill and limited resources so I picked this one. Looked ok at first, then the movie started and it was all down hill. There was nothing about this that makes it watchable other than it was less than 90 minutes!.

Was this the Yakuza film with Jared Leto or the Western with Trace Adkins? I tried twice to watch the Leto film but fell asleep both times. I'm a sucker for Westerns but the Adkins one didn't appeal to me.

2 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Well, the last one is all from Joanie's perspective and it is really good. We even get a glimpse of Cole and Alison.

Great! Thanks for telling me that. I'll get there. No need to rush. Other stuff to do.

Last night I finished The Killing. The series finale made me cry throughout. One of strongest series finales I've seen, alongside The Americans, Six Feet Under, The Leftovers and The Shield.

I saw the first two seasons years ago but wasn't super into it. I had mixed feelings because the murder mystery had way too many red herrings. I'm glad I caught it on TV again and saw all of it. The show got better over time, as it stopped pretending to be a murder mystery rather than a character drama, which was always its main strength.

This topic pops up often, and each time the hunting of minds sounds shameful to me.   Brains wouldn't be ambulatory.  So no matter how much of a head start you gave them, the heads would still be laying right where you dropped them.  It doesn't sound very sporting.

(Stumptown was watchable).

(EVIL was what it had to be.   They did it competently, but not in a way that hooked me.)

(I've enjoyed Preacher a lot more than expected.)

(This will go down as the week when pro wrestling metastasized into an every day thing.   Watching it all now qualifies as a career.)

HBO's documentary on Diego Maradona dropped last night, and it's completely insane. I had heard all kinds of stories about the guy while living in Buenos Aires, but none of it compares to what's in this movie. Highly recommend it, even if you're not into soccer.

Yeah, I said soccer Eurocommies!!! :box:

23 hours ago, Astromech said:

Was this the Yakuza film with Jared Leto or the Western with Trace Adkins? I tried twice to watch the Leto film but fell asleep both times. I'm a sucker for Westerns but the Adkins one didn't appeal to me.

The Western, and now I know why the Marshall looked familiar, had no idea until now.

Archived