Watch, Watched, Watching: Hunting Minds

Ramsay B.

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Wtf? Have you seen Troy? 

I think in a lot of ways Troy does not deserve the bad rap it has -- and particularly Pitt in it.  It's a most satisfying sword and sandal.  What else is one looking for out of a film about Troy -- or Gladiator for that matter -- which second son quotes as where he learned everything because Marcus Aurelius is just like his dad. Sounds just like Kendall talking about Logan in Succession -- and btw, Brian Cox who plays Logan plays Agammemnon in Troy -- and plays him pretty much like he plays Logan.  :laugh:  Yes, I just rewatched Troy because it on netflix.

13 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I think in a lot of ways Troy does not deserve the bad rap it has -- and particularly Pitt in it.  It's a most satisfying sword and sandal.  What else is one looking for out of a film about Troy -- or Gladiator for that matter -- which second son quotes as where he learned everything because Marcus Aurelius is just like his dad. Sounds just like Kendall talking about Logan in Succession -- and btw, Brian Cox who plays Logan plays Agammemnon in Troy -- and plays him pretty much like he plays Logan.  :laugh:  Yes, I just rewatched Troy because it on netflix.

Troy is overmaligned. I won't say underrated, because the film is really messy. But it's overmaligned for sure. It's entertaining. If you want to see a truly disastrous attempt to cash in off Gladiator there's a certain Oliver Stone biopic I have to recommend. 

Saw Joker yesterday. It isn't really worth all the fuzz made around it. Phoenix is great as always, but that is where it pretty much ends in my opinion. So far it seems that all the reviews I have seen either give it a 4/5 - 5/5 or a 1/5 or 2/5, but if ever there was a movie that was a clear 3/5, it is this one.  Enjoyable, but forgettable as well. Damn our hype culture to make a little trifle of a movie into this cultural battleground. 

13 hours ago, Zorral said:

Why have so many people been so vicious about Brad Pitt, a guy who is darned good actor, who gets better as he ages, just as he seems to continue working on improving his character and humanity -- which not many people bother doing whether they are actors or not.

:bowdown:

12 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Wtf? Have you seen Troy? 

I have actually and to this day I still don't get the hate. There are absolute classic moments in there. Achilles taking the beach (and pretty much everything before), his duel against Hector, Peter O'toole's Priam begging for his son's corpse and pretty much everything with Briseis. All the greatest moments in that film star Brad Pitt.

The film as a whole never reaches the same level as those individual moments, but it is still damn enjoyable.

10 hours ago, Conflicting Thought said:

Kalifornia is so underrated, like nobody knows that movie, and being a brad pitt movie, thats crazy

Saw it once, but it didn't stick in my mind.

12 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Think Brad Pitt was unfairly labelled as a pretty boy when he was younger and that stopped a lot of people paying attention to his acting chops. Sure he took a few roles where he didn't have to do much but look nice, but he also did a lot of movies that were brave choices. I remember him in Kalifornia and thinking he was far from what I expected of him. I really liked him in 12 Monkeys even if that was a bit of a gimmicky performance, and Fight Club is iconic as well. 

And he has really only gotten better with age, he's chosen his roles well and shown that he has a lot of range. I challenge anyone who says hes not a good actor.

:cheers:

Watched Safety Not Guaranteed last week and had the weird sense that I had already seen it - although I have no recollection of doing so. I thought it was a cute little film, worth watching if you are after a funny, slightly weird but also a teeny bit thought-provoking indie film. It's also only 90 minutes long I think. It felt quick anyhow.

On 10/6/2019 at 2:02 AM, Ramsay B. said:

I watched it the other day and thought it was pretty good. I knew next to nothing about him, beside the fact that he was an all-time soccer great. Wild times in Italy.

Also, I was kinda disappointed that it didn’t have the normal HBO sports narrator- So am I the only idiot that never knew it was Liev Schreiber this whole time? I always pictured some older guy, and realizing who it was kinda blew me away. How did I never put this together? He does such a great job at it. 

One complaint I have about the film is that it went really light on his drug use. Dude did cocaine on the field during a game.

Unpopular opinion coming. Midsommar is overrated. Great cinematography and acting couldn’t save bad directing and a sub-par plot. I kind of feared that would be the case.

8 hours ago, Isis said:

Watched Safety Not Guaranteed last week and had the weird sense that I had already seen it - although I have no recollection of doing so.

Your doppleganger in another timeline in the multiverse probably.

watched the final episode of Peaky Blinders, season 5.  I dunno ... felt oddly underwhelmed, despite the genuine nail biting tension

Spoiler

at the rally, the vengeance murder plan of Aberama Gold, Polly's gypsy husband-to-be, and the assassination plot of Mosley come together -- and all fail, and particularly the death, instead, of Polly's fiancé -- I physically was on the edge of my chair there

and the visceral shame and horror I felt as 

Spoiler

while the audience members there as supporters and members of his British Union of Fascist Party did the same, chanting, "Perish Judah", the descent of the Mosley party's lightning bolt stage backdrop, framed by lightning bolt shield insignia -- all entirely non-fiction -- as Mosley paraded down the theater aisle, in his black, bespoke uniform, arm outstretched in the fascist salute, while the audience members also extended their arms in the fascist - nazi salute. 

I thought of Charlottesville and so many other occasions of true racial and anti-semitic violence that have been taking place here on a regular basis, and shuttered.  Also because

Spoiler

I knew the plot to assassinate Mosley would fail, because as we know from history he wasn't assassinated.  Yet I was still on tenterhooks.

But after that, it was all downhill and then ended

Spoiler

on a supposed cliff hanger, but we know he's not killing himself because there is a season 6, so what was the point of that?  Plus I'm really tired of these people addling themselves with opium-heroin.  Don't care to be in the company of druggies on screen any more than I do in real life.  They are far to erratic and they are also generally very boring at the same time.

Is anyone watching the new series of Top Boy? I loved the earlier stuff but haven't had a chance to get into this yet. 

Also, new BBC Attenborough being advertised, I still havent started the Netflix one with the same filming crew. 

11 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Is anyone watching the new series of Top Boy? I loved the earlier stuff but haven't had a chance to get into this yet.

Catching up on the old stuff first! I imagine I need to finish it before starting the new series?

29 minutes ago, Raja said:

Catching up on the old stuff first! I imagine I need to finish it before starting the new series?

If you've started I would. But I've forgotten pretty much all the old stuff and I would imagine most other people would have as well.  So the new one was probably filmed a little but with that in mind. X

Watched all 3 John Wick's over the weekend and enjoyed the 3rd one more on the small screen than the big one.  Also watched all 4 of the 'new' X Men movies and DofP is the only good one of the lot.  First class is passable, the last two are just not very good.  The last one doesn't have an ounce of continuity with dofp, which made the grim dark seem even more hopeless.  No wonder nobody wants to work on any more....

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Also, new BBC Attenborough being advertised, I still havent started the Netflix one with the same filming crew. 

Yes I am about half way through it, I did have to go back and watch the original ones though as I forgot how things were left but there was quite a substantial time jump so I’d say you probably could watch the new one as a stand alone. 

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Unpopular opinion coming. Midsommar is overrated. Great cinematography and acting couldn’t save bad directing and a sub-par plot. I kind of feared that would be the case.

I can understand if it wasn’t your cup of tea, but there’s nothing wrong with the direction of that film. Ari Aster is hands down one of the best young directors working right now. I’ve seen it twice already (both cuts) and I can’t wait watch it again. I noticed things the second time that I missed on my initial viewing. Much like Hereditary, he put shots in that are very easy to miss. You have to watch the entire screen during one of his films. 

It also kind of amuses me when people give all the credit for “great performances” solely to the actors. We’ve all seen good actors give bad performances, and a lot of that is from actual lack of direction. 

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

I can understand if it wasn’t your cup of tea, but there’s nothing wrong with the direction of that film. Ari Aster is hands down one of the best young directors working right now. I’ve seen it twice already (both cuts) and I can’t wait watch it again. I noticed things the second time that I missed on my initial viewing. Much like Hereditary, he put shots in that are very easy to miss. You have to watch the entire screen during one of his films. 

It also kind of amuses me when people give all the credit for “great performances” solely to the actors. We’ve all seen good actors give bad performances, and a lot of that is from actual lack of direction. 

Hmm, perhaps you are right. I guess my thing is I tend to blame the directing when the whole isn't greater than the sum of its parts. 

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

One complaint I have about the film is that it went really light on his drug use. Dude did cocaine on the field during a game.

The whole thing seemed kind of vague. Although it was crazy how a whole country seemed to turn on him. 

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

You’re a bad human. I’m gonna get that broom ready for tonight(baseball talk).

Archived