Watch, Watched, Watching: Hunting Minds

Ramsay B.

6 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

The whole thing seemed kind of vague. Although it was crazy how a whole country seemed to turn on him. 

It wasn't his country though. He broke their hearts by beating them in the WC, and the city he played for was already disliked. I know he's still a good in Argentina though. I believe my host family had a picture of him next to their family pictures and the Pope. 

You’re a bad human. I’m gonna get that broom ready for tonight(baseball talk).

We broke Danny Dimes!!! 

ETA:

Jokes aside, I'm probably reacting like I did when I saw Skyfall. Heard people praise it for months only to be let down due to heightened expectations.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It wasn't his country though. He broke their hearts by beating them in the WC, and the city he played for was already disliked. I know he's still a good in Argentina though. I believe my host family had a picture of him next to their family pictures and the Pope. 

True. I kinda forget that he was in an Italian league, and how Naples was viewed by the rest of the country.

It is funny how even one of his league teammates said he never forgave Diego for the pk. Like he expected him to miss it on purpose, or something?

Danny Dimes didn’t look too bad considering the circumstances. No run game and your D-line manhandling our O-line. Although those 2 Shepard misses hurt.

A couple episodes into Peaky Blinder new season and yep, there is the ever present scene of them walking through the industrial area to punk music with flames and sparks in the back ground! Wouldn't be a season of PB without it!

23 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

True. I kinda forget that he was in an Italian league, and how Naples was viewed by the rest of the country.

It is funny how even one of his league teammates said he never forgave Diego for the pk. Like he expected him to miss it on purpose, or something?

I think they expected him not to play. That game had no business being played in that city.

Finished Peaky Blinders S5 and liked it a lot more than S4. It seemed like a very short season and I wanted another episode or two so I guess they did a good job. One spoiler and one question in this:

Spoiler

So we are to assume that the other option that was mentioned between Micheal and Gina(?) was tipping off the crew about the assassination attempt, or do we assume that it was the guy who is helping to fix the sporting matches? The killing of Aberama Gold makes me want to think Polly had a hand in it, like she wanted to kill him off so she didn't have to marry him, but they also went after Arthur so....

I did have one question, in the Swan Lake episode, Gina(?) Gray mentions that Mosley is a Duke...I don't remember them mentioning or showing us that she knew who he was before that scene? How did she know him on sight and his rank/title? Did I miss something or was this a clue to who she really is? 

I kind of want to compare this to Sons of Anarchy, only in that they are criminals/gang who are trying to do some good, and it always gets messed up. This is a far superior show IMO, but I get that feel sometimes. 

I'm finally starting Peaky Blinders - season 1. The show has been on my watch list for a while. Watched the first episode last nigjht. I loved it, the show seems really interesting.

I've also started Fleabag and Barry, as a part of my resolution to watch more comedies.

I watched Midsommar. I was a big fan of Hereditary so I had pretty high hopes for this one. And I really didn't like it a at all. The most horrifying moment in the movie happens within the first five-ish minutes and the rest of the movie is just not very scary or tense or even particularly unsettling. Mostly I just found everything really, really silly. The characters were flat and dull, and the plot was so predictable it was hard to become invested in any of them when it was so obvious what was going to happen. It just went way too hard on the foreshadowing and everything that happened was so clearly telegraphed long in advance. I would just have liked at least some surprises. It also probably didn't help that I couldn't keep myself from noticing how inauthentic the setting looked. It was clearly not shot where it was supposed to take place.

It's a good looking movie though. The cinematography, the visual design and the sound design are all very good.

Finished season 1 of Mindhunter. My initial misgivings about the show centred around Holden Fords romance sections as that all felt so Hollywood and cliched, plus the first episode doesn’t really tend to go anywhere.

However as the show rolled on it became incredibly good, especially any of the interviews with the ‘sequence killers’

Just now, Teng Ai Hui said:

I was watching RuPaul's Drag Race UK.  My 11 y/o daughter expressed some interest in it, so I let her watch it as well.  (I'm on the fence about whether that was a good or bad parenting decision.)

I'm going to flash some more ignorance than usual and ask what that even is. I've heard of it before, but is it just a fashion show? It always sounded like Maury Pauvich to me so I never looked into it.

Watched a couple of the Netflix movies released recently: In the Tall Grass and Fractured

Both are in every way a 'straight to DVD' release and I guess that is exactly what Netflix is going for these days. Essentially genre movies that don't ever try and do anything interesting or different, but tick a number of genre boxes so that people know what to expect when they watch. 

I liked both movies on some level, they were enjoyable, but also kinda predictable and didn't surprise me in any way. 2.5 out 5 star movies. 

This is now the standard for movies on Netflix I think, I don't see very much that would qualify as 'really good' in the movie category. It's TV shows are a lot better I will admit. But I am considering my subscription now.

13 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I'm going to flash some more ignorance than usual and ask what that even is. I've heard of it before, but is it just a fashion show? It always sounded like Maury Pauvich to me so I never looked into it.

It's a long-running drag race competition hosted by Ru Paul. Pretty standard manufactured reality show, but Ru Paul is so charismatic I enjoy it even though I'm not its common audience. A friend-of-a-friend was in last (or two? Hmm) seasons ago, and was a lot of fun cheering for her. 

If the 11 year old is interested, my non-father, LGBT advocate self thinks it'd probably be a fun show to watch with his/her daughter. It will inevitably raise some questions on gender and sexuality, but she'll be delighted by the fashion and cast. In this day and age, refusing her might make it weirder than watching a very entertaining show that focuses on men creating outrageous costumes and lip synching Beyonce songs.

2 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

It's a long-running drag race competition hosted by Ru Paul. Pretty standard manufactured reality show, but Ru Paul is so charismatic I enjoy it even though I'm not its common audience. A friend-of-a-friend was in last (or two? Hmm) seasons ago, and was a lot of fun cheering for her. 

If the 11 year old is interested, my non-father, LGBT advocate self thinks it'd probably be a fun show to watch with his/her daughter. It will inevitably raise some questions on gender and sexuality, but she'll be delighted by the fashion and cast. In this day and age, refusing her might make it weirder than watching a very entertaining show that focuses on men creating outrageous costumes and lip synching Beyonce songs.

My guess -- though I am not a parent (nor have I ever watched the show) -- going by the kids of friends, ya, an 11 year old girl can handle the bolded! :cheers:  Hey RuPaul was in Grace & Frankie, so clearly even over 60's can handle RuPaul and friends.

Archived