Watch, Watched, Watching: Hunting Minds

Ramsay B.

5 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I'm pretty pissed that I haven't been able to see this yet.  Missed it in theaters and it hasn't been on the other avenues I have.  Garland's follow-up to the amazing Ex Machina, and I loved the book it was based on (though I hated the rest of the series after this first book).  

It's been on Amazon Prime for quite awhile.  Don't have that one?

7 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I'm pretty pissed that I haven't been able to see this yet.  Missed it in theaters and it hasn't been on the other avenues I have.  Garland's follow-up to the amazing Ex Machina, and I loved the book it was based on (though I hated the rest of the series after this first book).  

I actually didn’t care for the first book(didn’t finish the series), but really enjoyed the movie. It’s a shame you didn’t see it in theatres because the last sequence of it really benefited from the big screen and blaring audio. 

Started watching The Hot Zone. Busman's holiday for me. I'm honestly trying my hardest to stay silent on the bad science but there's been a fair amount of shouting at the TV.

Love how nobody cared about eye protection AT ALL for any process (including throwing bleach around) in the late 1980's.

18 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I finished the series pretty quickly and I really enjoyed it. It was on the surface a pretty lightweight romp, but I thought it actually raised some interesting issues. It was much more interesting that Mulitplicity and didn't just take the most shallow take on that scenario. 

Also Rudd and Aisling Bea were great together. I could watch Rudd in anything and I was a fan of Bea's anyway from her comedy, and she does a great job here. 

Its a really easy watch, recommended.

I stand by my assessment. I've watched the entire season and I liked it but I didn't love it. I agree Rudd and Bea were great in it. There's just so many shows I've been amazed by recently, this one falls just short of that for me.

It is more interesting than Multiplicity, I attribute that to the Rick and Morty aspect I also said the show reminded me of.

Seen a few earlier posters talking about Incendies so I watched it.

Pretty heavy story and I will give no details but I think it was mentioned that it's a sobering ride and will definitely stay with you long after you watch if. Which for me is a pretty major benchmark to any good work.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Just started watching Detectorists, I had to pay for season 1 as its disappeared off BBC player (i presume in readiness for Britbox).  It's very very funny,

I've got a friend who absolutely loves it. I assumed it was some naff old biddy-ish thing that I would hate...

On 10/26/2019 at 2:56 AM, Nictarion said:

Making my way through the filmography of Denis Villeneuve (who’s one of my absolute favorite working directors right now), so tonight I watched Incendies, and it pretty much blew me away. Not an easy watch, as it’s some really heavy stuff, but it’s a powerful film. As much as I love Sicario, Arrival, BR 2049, etc, I think this might be his best.

Just finished it and you weren’t kidding, this was excellent. I went in totally blind and had no idea what to expect. Probably the best movie I’ve seen this year.

I watched Enemy like a month ago and also really liked that one. I’m now intrigued with Dune just because of Villeneuve.

I think some of the criticisms about the live action Lion King remake are very valid. It's so jarring seeing the animals being expressionless. That was one of the most important parts of the cartoon. They also botched what could have been the best scene in the movie, the Be Prepared song. That said, it's still worth seeing if you're a fan of the original. 

On 10/21/2019 at 10:54 PM, Triskele said:

As the reviews come in on this one it's been really interesting to see how divisive this is.  

I haven't really seen anyone say they hated it, but I've seen several more now similar to the one I linked saying "it doesn't work" or some version of that.  

Well, it certainly worked for me. I loved it. Both hilarious, and emotionally impactful.

I literally gasped when I saw his mom’s shoes hanging there

Taika Waititi is quickly moving into can’t miss territory. And between this, and Leave No Trace, Thomasin McKenzie continues to impress me every time I see her in something. Amazing young actress. 

Also, the chubby little friend was the best. :lol:

The Highlander TV show is on Amazon. When I was a high school nerd I loved watching it. Thought it was totally bad ass. It hasnt aged that well! Boy is it corny as hell in every way. But I'm five or six episodes in now and acclimating to the bad acting, fake swordplay, and great 90s outfits. And it's been pretty fun. Maybe I'll do the same for X Files once my interest in this peters out.

Call me old fashioned, but I really liked The Affair finale. Reminded me a bit of The Six Feet Under finale, though they both had actually pretty much nothing in common but a kinda similar atmosphere. But maybe it's just me. Just a little sad that we didn't get to see Cole in the whole season. Didn't believe in the fifth season in the first place, but I'm glad I watched it.

A sick weekend means a movie weekend, and I went on a Hitchcock spree. First up was The Birds. I couldn't remember if I had seen it or not, and I gotta say, it was a bit of a let down. Perhaps it was scarier in its day, but nothing about it spooked me. And please, for the love of god woman, stop trapping yourself in the room with all the birds. Next up was the classic Rear Window. I've seen this movie several times now and it still keeps me on the edge of my seat. The movie is damn near perfect. Last up was Rope. IIRC, this is one of his lesser seen films. If you're someone who hasn't, drop what you're doing and go to your TV. It's fantastic, but just remember it's not a true horror film.

Also, as a 31 year old man, I've got to say Matilda still slaps!!! 

14 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Call me old fashioned, but I really liked The Affair finale. Reminded me a bit of The Six Feet Under finale, though they both had actually pretty much nothing in common but a kinda similar atmosphere. But maybe it's just me. Just a little sad that we didn't get to see Cole in the whole season. Didn't believe in the fifth season in the first place, but I'm glad I watched it.

Hmmm. I didn't believe in the fifth season either. So I haven't watched it yet. But I will probably binge it at some point.

I finally finished off Knightfall at the weekend. The second season was better than the first - the first one was just TOO hammy. I mean, it is still hammy but slightly less awful. I would say watch it if you like slightly OTT medieval stuff - plus Mark Hamill obvs. That said, I got a bit fixated on the fact that there are so many windows in the finale and glass windows were not a thing at the time. And once you notice it, everyone has loads of glass windows. *shrug*

On 11/4/2019 at 3:54 PM, Corvinus said:

Went to Zombieland: Double Tap this weekend. Just as funny as the first one.

Saw it last weekend and it was exactly what you would expect it to be. Loved the scene when they meet their dopplegangers

Spoiler

They cut back to the two nerds and they are playing Magic the Gathering out of nowhere, perfection.

Archived