Watch, Watched, Watching: Hunting Minds

Ramsay B.

I saw the movie Joe starring Nic Cage/Tye Sheridan and thought it was good. It’s a redemption story, of sorts, that can be pretty bleak at times, but definitely worth a watch. Acting is on point all around.

I’m on episode 9 of Mindhunter. I would say I prefer s1 but over s2 but it’s still compelling tv. 

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

I saw the movie Joe starring Nic Cage/Tye Sheridan and thought it was good. It’s a redemption story, of sorts, that can be pretty bleak at times, but definitely worth a watch. Acting is on point all around.

I’m on episode 9 of Mindhunter. I would say I prefer s1 but over s2 but it’s still compelling tv. 

I finished Mindhunter s2 last night. I liked the application of their gained knowledge (or should I say theories at this point)  to an actual case, but missed the clinical psychological aspect of last season's interviews. Kemper was fantastic. I agree with other posters about too much time being spent on Carr's relationship and Tench's family issues.

I can't watch Succession anymore.  I've tried to see it as modern King Lear+black comedy, but it is too fucking depressing and unrelenting, watching damaged people continue to damage each other with no end in sight. Ugh, I'll take a Westworld rewatch for 100 Alex, at least there is some hope and once in a while something positive happens.  Once it wraps and I can know how it all shakes out, I might pick it up for a binge watch but I can't take it on a week to week basis.  

The thing I love about Mindhunter is, despite my juvenile love of action, explosions, sword fights, and superheros .... this show is the exact opposite of all that, and its fantastic... Not one gunshot fired in two seasons.... no fisticuffs.... just smart, character driven dialogue, and good story telling...

11 hours ago, Astromech said:

I finished Mindhunter s2 last night. I liked the application of their gained knowledge (or should I say theories at this point)  to an actual case, but missed the clinical psychological aspect of last season's interviews. Kemper was fantastic. I agree with other posters about too much time being spent on Carr's relationship and Tench's family issues.

Definitely. I also didn’t really care for the group tension between the main 3 that was forming in earlier episodes. 

The book that this is all based on is a good little read for those interested.

I caught The Girl on the Train on a flight and really enjoyed it. My only real complaint is that they had a few too many hints that lessened the twist. I highly recommend if you like dramas that also have a mild feel of a thriller. 

48 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

The thing I love about Mindhunter is, despite my juvenile love of action, explosions, sword fights, and superheros .... this show is the exact opposite of all that, and its fantastic... Not one gunshot fired in two seasons.... no fisticuffs.... just smart, character driven dialogue, and good story telling...

Funny you say this. One thing I noticed immediately and have been waiting for others to see if it was just me was, every scene at Quantico when they were outside there were tons and tons of gunfire in the distance. It seems to trail off as we get through the episodes and I think the last scene we have outside there, there is no gunfire.  Maybe it was just me.

Wasn't *too* into Mindhunter S1, thought the writing was pretty terrible besides a few episodes here and there, but I'm suitably curious about the second season.

But I need to finish Derry Girls & Deadwood first.

Been watching season 1 of Mr. Mercedes.  Interesting and very different than I expected from a King adaptation - I haven't read book or even a synopsis of the show.  Knowing there's multiple seasons, I hope they planned it that way from the start.

So the new season of 13 Reasons Why is basically Who Shot Mr. Burns and I am loving every minute of it.  EVERYONE IN TOWN IS A SUSPECT!  

Definitely better than the second season where they had to retcon so much shit because all the flashbacks were set during the same period as season one.  Still pretty sure this show's message is that no one should ever have kids because they are absolutely horrible.

Watched Cartel Land which is a documentary of 3 groups in Mexico and at the border. The 3 groups are the Cartels, the Mexican vigilantes and U.S. vigilantes that hunt human smugglers (coyotes). 

I thought the documentary was fascinating, brutal, and alarming. A very graphic report with very little in the way of solutions.

5 hours ago, briantw said:

So the new season of 13 Reasons Why is basically Who Shot Mr. Burns and I am loving every minute of it.  EVERYONE IN TOWN IS A SUSPECT!  

Definitely better than the second season where they had to retcon so much shit because all the flashbacks were set during the same period as season one.  Still pretty sure this show's message is that no one should ever have kids because they are absolutely horrible.

I started watching S2 and couldn't even get through the first episode. I gave up.

On 8/26/2019 at 5:25 AM, Ramsay B. said:

I feel the opposite.

I love how they get out in the field this season and apply what they've gathered from the interviews to a real case. I know they touched on a couple brief things last season like the school principal and the guy in Altoona, Pa, iirc, but something about the large scale of this case and them actively seeking out a serial killer was fun. The interview scenes get boring to me after a while.

Lots of flights this week so I’ve been watching Netflix eps to pass the uncomfortable time. 

Finished Dark S2.  Excellent.  This show is so good at managing the interwoven time streams and maintaining suspense.  A pity they didn’t resolve it now, but I’ll definitely watch S3.

And then I started Altered Carbon too.  I’m six or seven episodes in and it’s really good.  I remember not really enjoying the book — I think the uber-badass main characters plus all the trippy stuff just didn’t grab me — but this works really well on screen.  And the production quality is excellent.  It’s amazing the quality of SciFi world portrayal we can have now just in TV shows. 

Rewatching Battlestar Galactica in chronological order (as the Lords of Kobol intended). Which meant starting with blood & chrome, then the minisodes from razor.

Currently got three episodes of season 1 left. “No more Mr Nice Gaius!”

The second season of Yellowstone just ended and I don't think I'll stick around for season 3. The show looks great and has good cinematography, plus the acting is mostly good. But the writing is just on the level of a trashy soap-opera, and there is genuinely only one character on the show that I actually like and care about. Honestly this show has really lowered my appreciation for Tyler Sheridan's work.

I also recently watched the first season of Banshee. I really liked Warrior and have heard some good things about Jonathan Topper's previous show so I figured I'd give it a shot. And it really didn't click for me. I though it started out pretty strong, but then it just got worse in the second half of the season. There's some really good stuff in there but the story is hopelessly cliche and I really don't care about the main a characters at all. Both Hood and Carrie are pretty boring, but Kai Proctor is probably my biggest problem, he is a character type that I have seen done a lot better in many other places. I'm still not sure if I'm giving it another chance.

I also rewatched Green Room. Now I really liked it a lot the first time I saw it, but I think I liked it even more this time around. It is tense, thigh, atmospheric, violent and really fucking brutal when it wants to be. And the performances a top-notch throughout, especially from the late Anton Yelchin.

Archived