Watch, Watched, Watching: Hunting Minds

Ramsay B.

Watching Peaky Blinders. Was watching Years and Years, and it is a pretty good dystopia, but I had to pause it for Peaky. 

About to watch Mr. Robot season 4 and Walking Dead season 10, new seasons. Going to get a Sling TV plan just due to Robot. Would probably cancel HBO for now, but Watchmen is coming. Way too many tv costs lately though. October TV seems to be really excellent these days.

Watched the first three episode of Peaky Blinders's season 5.  As per usual I get sucked in quickly.  I am liking it a lot for the most part -- and will probably like it more now that we are set with Big Bad.

What I don't like is hallucinagenic / visionary scenes that tend to also dissolve into so-called reality -- what are we seeing that happens and why is due to whatever drug Tommy's taking?

I really dislike the hair that looks like a road kill raccoon on Tommy's and others' head.  Nor do I believe for one second that he would be in Parliament with a hair style like that.

What I really do like is how they aren't distorting anything to show just how alike that era is politically to this one in terms of insane bigotry and mad, violent eruptions.

But this year Cillian Murphy lost the sharpest cheekbones on screen to Lucy Liu in both Season 6 and 7 of Elementary.  (I sure do hope Ms Liu, whom I admire for so many reasons, will start eating again.  I have worried some that her character's condition during much of season 7 was reality for the actor.)

On 10/2/2019 at 5:49 PM, Tywin et al. said:

HBO's documentary on Diego Maradona dropped last night, and it's completely insane. I had heard all kinds of stories about the guy while living in Buenos Aires, but none of it compares to what's in this movie. Highly recommend it, even if you're not into soccer.

Yeah, I said soccer Eurocommies!!! :box:

I watched it the other day and thought it was pretty good. I knew next to nothing about him, beside the fact that he was an all-time soccer great. Wild times in Italy.

Also, I was kinda disappointed that it didn’t have the normal HBO sports narrator- So am I the only idiot that never knew it was Liev Schreiber this whole time? I always pictured some older guy, and realizing who it was kinda blew me away. How did I never put this together? He does such a great job at it. 

10 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I love Fight Club and Seven, but I think I’d probably agree. Zodiac is so good. 

I adore Zodiac, it's got such a good cast. I'm not even that  big of a Fincher fan, but I watch Zodiac once a year, at the very least. Mostly because Ruffalo & Gyllenhaal are so good.

My wife and I binge watched a BBC series called The Capture over the last 2 nights, a thriller/what happened kind of thing involving a crime committed, witnessed on CCTV, quite an interesting premise although a bit far fetched at times.

On 10/5/2019 at 10:13 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Rewatched The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. 

I never tire of this movie, it's every bit as enjoyable today as  when it was released over a decade ago, a true classic imo.

As a huge Brad Pitt fan, this is the film I always turn to to show everyone that he's a brilliant actor and deserves just as much love as Leo. 

Why have so many people been so vicious about Brad Pitt, a guy who is darned good actor, who gets better as he ages, just as he seems to continue working on improving his character and humanity -- which not many people bother doing whether they are actors or not.

Watched some more Peaky Blinders.  So maybe so much of the mess that was the 20's and 30's that made WWII seemingly inevitable was caused by so much of the world being on bad drugs and booze?  Like now?  Plus, of course we have the most impossible addiction of all -- entertainment, but nevermind that! since I'm as addicted to entertainment as everybody else, so, then, that has to be totes healthy.

Think Brad Pitt was unfairly labelled as a pretty boy when he was younger and that stopped a lot of people paying attention to his acting chops. Sure he took a few roles where he didn't have to do much but look nice, but he also did a lot of movies that were brave choices. I remember him in Kalifornia and thinking he was far from what I expected of him. I really liked him in 12 Monkeys even if that was a bit of a gimmicky performance, and Fight Club is iconic as well. 

And he has really only gotten better with age, he's chosen his roles well and shown that he has a lot of range. I challenge anyone who says hes not a good actor.

51 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

Kalifornia is so underrated, like nobody knows that movie, and being a brad pitt movie, thats crazy

We used to watch Kalifornia and True Romance a lot, back when I was first married. That was...1998. But I probably haven't seen it for about 15 years. Time for a rewatch. 

5 minutes ago, Isis said:

We used to watch Kalifornia and True Romance a lot, back when I was first married. That was...1998. But I probably haven't seen it for about 15 years. Time for a rewatch. 

I can't say I ever liked it much as a movie, outside of Brad Pitts performance. I think I got distracted by trying to stop myself going 'That's Fox Mulder', every time Duchovny was on screen.

Archived