Jump to content
Ramsay B.

Watch, Watched, Watching: Hunting Minds

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, Astromech said:

I did not know more seasons are planned. Here I thought that was a series finale and not just a season finale. Improves my opinion of it if that is the case. There is so much more to tell after this season.

The showrunners plan 7 seasons.

The more time goes by since I watched this season 5, the more thinking about it, the more disappointed in it I am.  That final episode should have been something else. 

Spoiler

Hardy's character returning without any planting of clues he's alive -- how?  Really Tommy has been portrayed as a far more effective killer than that.  It would have been much more effective, showing the continuity of organized gangs, including Jewish ones, for Tommy to have gone to the new leader.  feh.  Mosley makes a terrific Big Bad, but we know nothing defeated him except the war with the nazis.  Then all this is filtered through drug addled minds -- it fell flat rather than brilliant, despite the nail biting as to whether the sniper would succeed or not -- we're focused on the sniper, not Shelby not Mosley.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Dublin Murders aired last night on BBC, but since they are gonna air episode 2 tonight, i will wait.Reviews have been very positive so far.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0009fhr

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0009fjz

The commentators to the Guardian review at least were majority unfavorable though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to have gone unnoticed that Preacher has come to an end. 
 

An often frustrating show, it was as often dull and meandering as it was brilliantly over the top. I’m sad to see it go, but also kinda glad it went out reasonably strongly.

I could have done with one less season than we got and a bit more impetus throughout, because it often felt like the same plot points and themes were repeated and didn’t go anywhere.

But it did have characters that stick with you, Cassidy is brilliant. It’s hard to dislike a show that has a fist fight between Jesus and Hitler. It often felt like the show didn’t care who it annoyed and just did whatever it wanted.

I’ll miss it, but not that much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Seems to have gone unnoticed that Preacher has come to an end.

I waited until the finale was out before binging the whole season.  I think it worked better that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2019 at 6:43 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

I watched the first episode of the new season of Peaky Blinders.  Was it always the overly dramatic and campy?  Because that was not a good first episode.  There's certainly been enough good things written about this season that I am hopeful for the rest of it.

My comparison is Sons of Anarchy. PB is better but that is the feeling I get sometimes when watching it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a few days off and caught a couple movies.

Joker.  I liked this, I knew a little coming in and that it was a slow building movie so I was ready for it. Phoenix killed it as the lead, great job. I really liked this movie, I like a dark movie from time to time so this was right up my alley.

Spoiler

Not really spoiler but to be safe.  At the end of the movie as he is dying his hair and becoming the "Joker" it really felt like yeah, this makes sense. This is the Joker, not that one we got in Suicide Squad. All the things we learn about his childhood and such make sense to what happens to him.

Also saw Gemini Man. Eh....it was ok. At times the CGI aging stuff was ok and other times it was very distracting.

Spoiler

I had a hard time buying the villain was years older than Will Smith's character. He said that he met him in military, that he was in charge of the unit he joined, meaning Voss or whatever his name is, would be several years older than Smith at a minimum and yet he looks the same age or younger. Nit picking but hey, thats what we do!

I wouldn't recommend it unless you like shoot em ups, have time to kill and it's a matinee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2019 at 6:05 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Happy Death Day was actually pretty enjoyable. Fun, dumb slasher comedy. 

Yeah it was a fun flick.  Nothing to write home about but inoffensive and enjoyable.  Sometimes, that's enough.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, briantw said:

Yeah it was a fun flick.  Nothing to write home about but inoffensive and enjoyable.  Sometimes, that's enough.  

It was definitively pretty fun, mainly due to a good central performance and a lighthearted script.

But wow it was stupid by the end.

The writers clearly just thought ‘ok let’s do Groundhog Day but with murder and teens!’ but never got further than that.

i was sitting there the whole time going ‘ forget Groundhog Day forget Groundhog Day’. But you can’t because it has a very similar arc and does so many similar things with the idea. They even reference it!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished Charitéa German TV drama set in 1888 in the Berlin hospital of the same name. Found it very watchable. Although the stories and dialogue around the original characters tended towards the clunky and obvious, the drama based on the historical characters was great, and the production values seemed pretty good to me too. I'd love to go on to read some non-fiction based on the era to learn a bit more about Vichow, Ehrlich, Behring and Koch, and the hospital itself. It's available on Netflix. There's also a second series set at the Charité between 1943 and 1945. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have been re watching a lot of Breaking Bad recently. Something I am appreciating more is the slow set ups they did sometimes. Like S2 with the stuffed animal in the pool. You have no clue at all until it happens at the end of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Heartofice said:

It was definitively pretty fun, mainly due to a good central performance and a lighthearted script.

But wow it was stupid by the end.

The writers clearly just thought ‘ok let’s do Groundhog Day but with murder and teens!’ but never got further than that.

i was sitting there the whole time going ‘ forget Groundhog Day forget Groundhog Day’. But you can’t because it has a very similar arc and does so many similar things with the idea. They even reference it!!

That was kind of the point though. They were leaning into it while coming as close as possible to breaking the fourth wall without actually doing so.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That was kind of the point though. They were leaning into it while coming as close as possible to breaking the fourth wall without actually doing so.  

Felt like an apology to me. Like ‘yeah we know we copied it but at least we were honest’

Didn’t  feel like a get out of jail free card.

Edited by Heartofice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dog-days said:

Just finished Charitéa German TV drama set in 1888 in the Berlin hospital of the same name. Found it very watchable. Although the stories and dialogue around the original characters tended towards the clunky and obvious, the drama based on the historical characters was great, and the production values seemed pretty good to me too. I'd love to go on to read some non-fiction based on the era to learn a bit more about Vichow, Ehrlich, Behring and Koch, and the hospital itself. It's available on Netflix. There's also a second series set at the Charité between 1943 and 1945. 

 

I really liked the one between 1943-45, a fascinating story based on the real and disturbing history at the property.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I really liked the one between 1943-45, a fascinating story based on the real and disturbing history at the property.

Just started to watch it last night. Looking forward to the rest - with a certain amount of apprehension given the era. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finished the series Unbelievable. The relationship between the two detectives was well done. I thought Merritt Weaver was very good in the series Godless and she was even better in Unbelievable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×