Watch, Watched, Watching: Hunting Minds

Ramsay B.

4 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Soooo... you’re telling me I better watch it again starting right now?

Whatever you say boss. 

:crying: My mother always said I had management potential :D 

34 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Well, now i need to watch Fury Road again. Hardship, i know...

The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must I suppose

5 hours ago, Triskele said:

:bowdown: give that man an academy award and while you are at it, take one for yourself as well for reminding me of the fact that this exists :D

5 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

It is undoubtedly feminist but definitely a platonic relationship.  The beauty of the relationship between Max and Furiosa is the arc it goes through.  First they attack each other, then they grudgingly cooperate, then they come to trust each other and then they sacrifice for each other.  Barely a word is spoken between them.  The message would have been undermined if they had said much, because it is nothing but their actions and behavior that cause them to change their minds about each other.  The irony is the message can be summarized as "WITNESS ME!!"   Look at whom I really am!  A man and a woman can trust, respect, be vulnerable and grow willing to sacrifice themselves for each other without either trying to influence the other, without either trying to manipulate, cajole, argue or convince each other in any way?  That's far most feminist than "Woohoo! Girl Power!"   WITNESS ME!!

All fair points, although the traditionalist in me would still cast their platonic relationship as romantic in nature. To me, Fury Road can be read almost like a courtly romance, but then updated for the 21st century. With Max serving as 

Spoiler

the questing knight and Furiosa as the queen (a role she sort of takes on at the end when they return to the citadel and finish the last vestiges of Joe's rule there), who is an active participant in the tale instead of the passive beauty of medieval chanson de gestes. Sort of fits in with the parallells Miller himself has drawn between the Mad Max myth cycle and the Matter of Britain. 

I'd also say that the feminism in the film is much deeper than just plain Girl power, even without taking the character of Furiosa into account. 

Spoiler

The brides rebelling, the destruction of the chastity belt, the open references of Joe in which he makes clear he sees them as property and that all coupled with a rather distinct sense of personality for the major female characters, stemming from the fact that they are not one unanimous blob (e.g. the bride who on several occassions loses it and want to return to Joe was a brilliant add-on, it made it much more realistic)

22 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I read a piece this morning that says the Rom Con genre is being revived, not as CIS gender- oy-girl-fall-in-love, but as people becoming truly friends, of whatever gender, including meeting cute, initially disliking each other, learning to trust and care for each other through honesty and experience. 

Sort of like the Frozen switcheroo where the story is not so much about the princess and the boy, but the two sisters. More diversity in subject matter is always to be lauded in film, although I do hope that people don't forget about the original content of the genre. Just make it less cliché :)

EDIT: I love the fact that Fury Road inspires so much love from people that we have so many people jumping on the band wagon of discussing it here. Very impressive for a three of four-year-old film and a testament to its towering strengths as a piece of art.   

Just finished episode 4 of Carnival Row.  Liking it more all the time. One of the pleasures too, is the number of solid actors that we've gotten to know out of British television.  They're doing a terrific job.  I'm particularly enjoying Indira Varma and her role.

Spoiler

This episode includes a fight between two fae, in the air, their wings (that have hooks, like those of some moths and bats), which would have been spectacular if the series hadn't followed this fashion of shooting everything in muddy, undifferentiated lighting. This is my biggest criticism at this point: the lighting.  It's also a bit difficult for US ears to follow the dialog's faux 1890's cockney-whatever pronunciation, but that's on me, and not really a problem.

ETA -- having just watched episode 5, I have changed my mind about wishing Bloom's character wasn't a secret fae.  There were some reveals and switches about that which deepened the story telling and characterization.

Also, this series is pretty gothic as well.

Adding to the strength of the story telling (so far) is that Philo (Bloom) and Vignette (still a stupid name, and her Irish accent that none of the other Creatures - Creech have comes and goes), is there are other significant characters with plots of their own.  There is a lot going on in this era on which the fantasy and steam punk tropes have been overlaid.  Don't think it was necessary to do that, but I suppose They thought it would attract more viewers with them, and / or, because They wanted to! And, yah, ultimately, I think it's working quite well.  It holds my attention and I'm kind of a hard sell, particularly for fantasy.

Finished watching Carnival Row. It was better than expected. With all the speculation about which show will be the next GoT, I'd say Amazon has made an early attempt with this one. Not that it is the next GoT, not yet, and hopefully it will end better, but some of the ingredients are there. The main plot and the sub-plots are smaller, and mostly self-contained to this season, though with interesting setups for next season. It does feature a large enough cast of characters, and the story is set in an epic fantasy world that begs for more development.

Spoiler

The previews are deceiving in one aspect, as it implies that the main two characters, Philo and Vignette are a duo that will share the story equally. Unfortunately, that’s not the case, as the story focuses more on Philo (Orlando Bloom) than Vignette (Cara Delevigne), whom the writers didn’t quite know what to do for parts of the season, all the way to the end where it almost looked like they were going to have her be the classic damsel in need of a rescue, but they managed to pull a quick twist and have her be his savior. Bloom’s character does get a lot more, and Bloom managed to handle it well, though there were moments when he reminded me of his days in Pirates of the Caribbean. (like in the first episode, when he made me chuckle because he was holding that gun like a sword on Pirates)

As all good SFF stories, this show attempts to take on social issues of the day, and give them the nuance of the imaginary world it set up. I’m probably not the best judge to say whether or not it succeeded in this, but it certainly didn’t shy away from attempting to tackle themes of colonialism, immigration, racism, and even religion.

At only 8 episodes, the show maybe tried to do too much. The first 3 episodes are pretty much spent to setting up the world and main characters, with only snippets of the main plot in there, and with all the sub-plots thrown in, it certainly couldn’t develop a larger main plot, leading to some quick tie-ups in the final episode. But there is room to go bigger, more epic. Apparently, they have a fantasy map created for the whole world.

The show benefited from several great actors, especially Jared Harris and Indira Varma. Unfortunately, neither Harris, nor Varma, will be around for next season, so hopefully they find solid replacements to play new, and strong characters.

I’ll give it 7/10.

As to other ties to GoT, well…

Spoiler

It pretty much has a female Littlefinger, chaos speech and all, who also has a bit of Cersei in her. The original Daenerys, Tamzin Merchant, has a main role, and her character also suffers from dealing with an incompetent brother, there’s a secret bastard son of a prominent figure, some prophecies with regards to destinies, and dark powers rising… hmm, the more I think about it, the more I think maybe it's a bit too much like GoT. At least the world is not medieval-like.

Finished S3 of GLOW. Some really good acting performances in what is generally a campy and light hearted show. Wasn't entirely sure if I wanted to watch another season of it but I am glad I did. 

Hopefully tomorrow I can finish Carnival Row. Had issues with Prime streaming tonight.

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Thats the one. Its tempting and when i do my next Prime freebie i might give it a try.

I might give it a try soon, the premise sounds quite interesting and I’ve always had a bit of a celeb crush on Cara.

The trailers for Carnival Row make it look like a perfume ad. In fact, I've seen perfume ads with more dramatic tension. I didn't do anything for me.

We zipped through half of S2 of Mindhunter yesterday. I think it is at least as good as the first season. I was hoping there wouldn't be too much non-relevant fluff added on but I have to say that the personal lives of all three of the leads are clearly directly related to the work they are doing. In fact, I'm not even sure that it wasn't a little heavy-handed in one scene where Carr and Tench are arguing opposite viewpoints, still effective though.

11 hours ago, dbunting said:

Finished S3 of GLOW. Some really good acting performances in what is generally a campy and light hearted show. Wasn't entirely sure if I wanted to watch another season of it but I am glad I did. 

Hopefully tomorrow I can finish Carnival Row. Had issues with Prime streaming tonight.

Im currently working through GLOW. Its alright but not as good as previous seasons. I miss the wrestling, there is not very much of it this season. 

Which reminds me, @Theda Baratheon i think you will enjoy what they do with Shiela this season!

10 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

I might give it a try soon, the premise sounds quite interesting and I’ve always had a bit of a celeb crush on Cara.

You don’t say? ;) 

entirely understandable of course

Saw Office Space for the first time. Now I know where the 'that would be great' memes come from. This movie is really peak 99 in every possible way, but still very enjoyable. Especially the printer scene is great fun!

38 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Saw Office Space for the first time. Now I know where the 'that would be great' memes come from. This movie is really peak 99 in every possible way, but still very enjoyable. Especially the printer scene is great fun!

Didn't I ask you to work this holiday weekend?

Cause that'd be great.

43 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Anyone who has worked in an office setting can relate to that movie! The swingline stapler was awesome. Yeah, if you could get me those TPS reports that would be great.

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

53 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Didn't I ask you to work this holiday weekend?

Cause that'd be great.

47 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Anyone who has worked in an office setting can relate to that movie! The swingline stapler was awesome. Yeah, if you could get me those TPS reports that would be great.

Every evaluation period, we joke about "meeting with the Bobs". Also, as an engineer, I always try to use the excuse that I'm not a people person to try to get out of conference calls with customers. 

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

I did find a red stapler at work once in a drawer of a desk that hadn't been used for a long time and wondered if someone had been desperately searching for it.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood-

Spoiler

So I finally got to see this and I loved it, which was no surprise to me.

Pitt and DiCaprio slayed all through. The Bruce Lee scene was pretty damn comical, not only the sparring but also Russel and his wife's reaction to her car lmmfao.

The little girl is going to be in future films. I thought there was going to be a reveal that this was a young Jodi Foster or some twist for a moment, she's a natural.

Loved the guy from Billions as Steve McQueen, M.R. nails the role of Tate and Pussycat was a great character.

This is a movie that you would have to work to become offended by imo.

Finished Carnival Row and I am not sure I liked it enough to watch S2, although knowing myself I am sure I'll give it a try.  There were way too many similarities to ASOIAF in this for me.

Spoiler

Ep 3 felt like Philo/Jon Snow and Vignette/Ygritte, to me, even the sets looked like GOT sets.  There are several scenes in episodes where the music sounds like it was directly from GOT, I want to say it's a violin but not sure, but a low/deep sounding string instrument and chords that immediately rang of GOT to me. Then we have a chaos speech from a character that also is the one behind the scenes scheming and even sent a false letter that set the whole chain of events in motion? I mean that screams of Littlefinger.   Hidden Prince of sorts who didn't know who his parents are , brother sister incest....

It might just be me and I am only seeing these since I am a big fan of GOT and it's still fresh in my mind. 

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

Finished Carnival Row and I am not sure I liked it enough to watch S2, although knowing myself I am sure I'll give it a try.  There were way too many similarities to ASOIAF in this for me.

Hide contents

Ep 3 felt like Philo/Jon Snow and Vignette/Ygritte, to me, even the sets looked like GOT sets.  There are several scenes in episodes where the music sounds like it was directly from GOT, I want to say it's a violin but not sure, but a low/deep sounding string instrument and chords that immediately rang of GOT to me. Then we have a chaos speech from a character that also is the one behind the scenes scheming and even sent a false letter that set the whole chain of events in motion? I mean that screams of Littlefinger.   Hidden Prince of sorts who didn't know who his parents are , brother sister incest....

It might just be me and I am only seeing these since I am a big fan of GOT and it's still fresh in my mind. 

I’ve not seen the show yet but the instrument you describe is more likely a cello than a violin, used a lot in GoT and very beautiful sounding.

14 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

You don’t say? ;) 

entirely understandable of course

:blush::wub:

3 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Been rewatching Hannibal cause I was still in a serial killer mood after mindhunter :ph34r:

Bonsoir

Archived