Watch, Watched, Watching: Hunting Minds

Ramsay B.

I'm all in to go see Ad Astra(sp?)

Which not only will be opening right before my birthday but is likely to be 2 great performances in a row from BPitt as the last theatre I went to was for OUTINHWood.

Brad's having a helluva a year at least career wise.. The word is to see it on the largest screen available a la Gravity.

8 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I'm all in to go see Ad Astra(sp?)

Which not only will be opening right before my birthday but is likely to be 2 great performances in a row from BPitt as the last theatre I went to was for OUTINHWood.

Brad's having a helluva a year at least career wise.. The word is to see it on the largest screen available a la Gravity.

Looking forward to hearing what people think about this. I'm not getting a good vibe from the previews, not sure why.

^^^^I don't put huge stock in previews because I've seen so many movies where I came to the opposite, either liked or disliked, than the critics,  to the point where I have to take reviews with a grain of salt. That said, I think the one I did peek at, rotten tomato or some such outfit, had scored ad astra a solid 85 or 4.5/5 or something pretty good I thought.

I'm betting the type of viewers that enjoyed Gravity are likely going to be the viewers that will like Ad Astra, just my guess. And that's a group I put myself in.

16 hours ago, dbunting said:

Looking forward to hearing what people think about this. I'm not getting a good vibe from the previews, not sure why.

It's directed by James Gray and stars Brad Pitt. The trailers look great. I expect greatness. End of story. 

Watched the first episode of "unbelievable". Very good, reminded me a lot of "when they see us" in terms of the police abusing their power to make life easier but in this show it's bullying the victim into false statements instead of bullying innocent kids in custody. So it has that frustration factor already but in terms of the show hitting the right nerves.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Watched the first episode of "unbelievable". Very good, reminded me a lot of "when they see us" in terms of the police abusing their power to make life easier but in this show it's bullying the victim into false statements instead of bullying innocent kids in custody. So it has that frustration factor already but in terms of the show hitting the right nerves.

Yeah... this is better than I thought it would be.... we're on ep4... 

6 hours ago, dbunting said:

Watched The I Land.  I don't recommend it to anyone. Way too predictable for a show that appears to expect to surprise you.

Best thing about the show is that it reminds me that "lost" wasn't as bad as the ending made me feel.

The i-land also acts as a reminder that Netflix are as happy to make syfy channel trash as HBO quality programming. 

12 hours ago, red snow said:

Best thing about the show is that it reminds me that "lost" wasn't as bad as the ending made me feel.

The i-land also acts as a reminder that Netflix are as happy to make syfy channel trash as HBO quality programming. 

Netflix seem to be veeringly increasingly towards trash with their originals these days and cancelling the quality stuff

11 hours ago, dbunting said:

Trying Wu assassin now, two episodes into it. Feels like The Iron fist but on a better quality level if that makes sense.

Stuff actually happens and the protagonist isn't a whiny billionaire which certainly helps. That and he's a genuine martial artist.

11 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Netflix seem to be veeringly increasingly towards trash with their originals these days and cancelling the quality stuff

They do seem more concerned with quantity over quality in their attempts to boost their library. I can think of a lot of shows I'd rather had been wrapped up (sense8 or OA) than i-land. Hopefully it will remain as a limited series as promised. I guess Netflix are aiming to be a broad church though and wish to appeal to a wide range. It's just as more iffy shows appear I become more wary of starting a new show until there's a lot of positive good buzz. Whereas I still tend to give anything by HBO a shot because their hit rate is so good. Disney+ will have that with the star wars and marvel shows until I have reason to suspect they are dubious too.

BBC's "the capture" is quite good, two episodes in. It deserves the "this year's bodyguard" even if it isn't quite up there yet. It still has a plot that draws you in.

On 9/15/2019 at 9:57 PM, red snow said:

I thought the first episode did a really good job of not leading the viewer to any one conclusion as to what happened, or trying to manipulatively portray anyone in a totally one dimensional way, which can often be the case in shows like this. 

It wasn’t something I’d normally watch but so far it’s pretty good

13 hours ago, dbunting said:

Trying Wu assassin now, two episodes into it. Feels like The Iron fist but on a better quality level if that makes sense.

It fizzled out for me. I lost interest after about 4 episodes. If I want kick ass martial arts, I'll rewatch The Last Dragon, the greatest martial arts film with the greatest soundtrack imaginable.

50 minutes ago, Astromech said:

It fizzled out for me. I lost interest after about 4 episodes. If I want kick ass martial arts, I'll rewatch The Last Dragon, the greatest martial arts film with the greatest soundtrack imaginable.

You can go straight to hell with this opinion.

Meanwhile, the new Aladdin seemed neither good nor bad to me. It was just there. Other than the beautiful actress, this movie is forgettable in t-minus 3, 2, 1. Also, did anyone else notice some weird editing decisions where it appeared they just randomly sped up the pacing of the film?

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

You can go straight to hell with this opinion.

Meanwhile, the new Aladdin seemed neither good nor bad to me. It was just there. Other than the beautiful actress, this movie is forgettable in t-minus 3, 2, 1. Also, did anyone else notice some weird editing decisions where it appeared they just randomly sped up the pacing of the film?

Somebody's upset they never found they never found their Glow. :) 

On Friday night we watched a film so bad it was beyond 'terribad' (similiar to SyFy's 'terribly good' rating) - it was called Galaxy of Terror and oh my goodness... *shudder* It was made between Alien and Aliens (1981) and it clearly was partly inspired by Alien (particularly Ash).  The crew travel to an alien planet and are killed off one by one whilst investigating. There is an awful scene with super gratuitous nudity which is highly offensive and I would recommend that nobody watches it on the strength of that alone. There's also some offensively bad science. Not sure which was worse. James Cameron was involved in production apparently. I hope to forget this film as soon as possible.

The 1986 UK Warner video release was cut by 14 secs by the BBFC to reduce the rape of Dameia by a giant maggot. The cuts were fully waived for the 2002 ILC DVD.

9 hours ago, Raja said:

Is anyone watching Unbelievable?

It's on netflix & it's riveting & so sad at the same time. I am terrible at finishing tv shows, but I haven't been able to stop watching with this one.

I enjoyed the first episode a lot but I'm watching it with someone else so can only do next episode when they can. 

Archived