NASFiC 2020 - Columbus OH

DaveAx

Since the 2020 Worldcon is not in the US, there will be a NASFiC held that year. The winner -- and sole bidder, I believe -- of the site selection process was Columbus, OH.

Guests will be:
Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson -- authors
Stephanie Law -- artist
Christopher J. Garcia -- editor
Mark Millis -- science
Sue and Steve Francis -- fan
Eric Flint -- 1632 Minicon

For more info, see their website: http://columbus2020nasfic.org/

7 minutes ago, Padraig said:

Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson.  Surprising.

Given the Villeneuve Dune will be releasing its first part just a few months after, if it sticks to schedule, it's rather canny. But surprising, yes.

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, LugaJetboyGirl-irra said:

Looks like I will be going to this if anyone wants to meet up.

I am tentatively planning on attending, and have booked a hotel room (which I can always cancel if plans change).

Look forward to seeing you there!

• 3 months later...

Two recent posts on Facebook by the con:

FIRST POST

From Dale Mazzola:

We would like to announce that at this point in time, April 25th 2020,

We are STILL planning for the NASFIC in Columbus OH, to occur on the weekend of August 20th thru the 23rd.

With states lifting stay in place rules/orders/recommendations the hotel thinks that everything will be just fine.

What we (your NASFIC team) desperately need from you (our Members) is to know if you are still planning to attend. If you are NOT planning to attend, then please cancel your hotel reservation. It’s the only real way we have to know how to proceed.

Registration prices will stay at $100 until we welcome you to the Sheraton, then the at-the-door price will be $125.00.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me at [email protected]

SECOND POST

The important part of the NASFIC announcement is:
What we (your NASFIC team) desperately need from our Members is to know if you (our Members) are still planning to attend. If you are NOT planning to attend, then please cancel your hotel reservation. It’s the only real way we have to know how to proceed.

When I spoke with the hotel last week they made a big deal of our awesome room block and no cancellations. I will be talking with them again at the end of this week, and if you really won’t attend, please cancel your room. If you will attend, we really appreciate your support!

• 3 weeks later...

And here's the latest, announced on 5/14:

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

This is the statement we have been hoping we would not have to make, but it is with a heavy heart that we, in consultation with Hotel management and the local Convention and Visitor’s Bureau, announce that we have made the decision to cancel the Columbus 2020 NASFiC. Due to the uncertain health situation and the unreliable travel restrictions, it was decided by all that hosting the NASFiC at this time would be unwise.

We still plan to publish a souvenir book for all attending and supporting members.

Due to the fact that we are still negotiating penalties with the hotel, ongoing expenses, and our intention to publish a souvenir book, it is not feasible to offer refunds at this time.

If you don’t hear from the hotel within two weeks regarding your reservation, please call them.

We may have a virtual event on the weekend of August 20 -23. We’ll update everyone on that later once we have some plans.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Looks like NASFIC will also do a virtual con on the weekend of Aug 21-23, and it will be free with an optional donation. 

Interesting that they couldn't be bothered notifying the paid-up members about this.

Archived