Most disappointing show cancellations

Alarich II

So, after the cancellation of The OA, I started thinking about which show cancellation I found the most disappointing/unsatisfying... My top three are

1. Firefly, probably going to top the list forever. Such a great show, great characters, great actors. It had everything and still it got cancelled and to this day I find that a very sad decision.

2. The OA, a wonderful, strange story. Great first season, second season even better, really opens up the universe, ends with a terrific cliff hanger, then gets cancelled. Boooo!

3. Sense8, really liked the show, never understood why they couldn't just dial back a bit on the expenses and keep it going. I really loved it.

47 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I think we had this thread a while back but either way, no contest:

Terminator The Sarah Conor Chronicles

im still devastated  

Its no contest in the sense that its a clear 2nd place behind Farscape. But at least Farscape eventually got the miniseries, so you might have a point. TTSCC was so damn good.

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

Its no contest in the sense that its a clear 2nd place behind Farscape. But at least Farscape eventually got the miniseries, so you might have a point. TTSCC was so damn good.

Farscape and Sense8 both suffered somewhat from the conclusions being overly rushed, but they did get reasonably satisfying conclusions. Firefly was great, but while it's a pity we didn't get more, it wasn't really a cliffhanger ending situation. I'd put Crusade somewhere near the top of the list; while not without flaws, it had plenty of potential. TTSCC is the clear winner, though.

Babylon 5 gets the prize for most disappointing uncancellation; season 5 wasn't awful, but it's pretty anticlimactic after they wrapped up the real story thinking season 4 would be the last.

Titus, one of my favorite comedies, is the one that pissed me off at the time.

I am currently pissed at Amazon for dropping The Tick.

I wasn't watching Deadwood or Firefly while they ran, but they are on the obvious list as well.

Terriers (needs a Hulu reboot like Veronica Mars)

Party Down (understandable though) 

Master & Commander: Far Side of the World (ok, not TV but c'mon, there's 20 books!) 

Agent Carter 

There's also been so many shows that while I didn't love them, it's too bad the story was never wrapped up like 'Colony', 'Threshold', etc... 

Stargate Universe - it was good from the start, and it was getting really good by the time it got cancelled; it could have become a truly sublime space opera show, that we've sorely missed, at least until The Expanse showed up. (and if The Expanse had stayed cancelled, oh boy)

Travelers - a good, more low key SF series, that I thought Netflix saved, only to cancel after one additional season

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Deadwood

Carnivàle

Rome

Yep

3 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

Daredevil is the one that kills me.

I would have watched more Punisher, too. Not quite as good as Daredevil, but Bernthal was such a great Frank Castle, and the ending of S2 just started to tease the full blown comics Punisher. 

Firefly

Carnivale

Deadwood

Everything Sucks 

Has anyone else seen Everything Sucks? Netflix comedy from last year about high school freshmen in Oregon in the 90s. Drama club vs AV club. I really enjoyed it, and the music was a big part of the appeal.

7 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I think we had this thread a while back but either way, no contest:

Terminator The Sarah Conor Chronicles

im still devastated  

Seconded.  Penny Dreadful would be the only thing near its competitor for TSCC, but I don't really count it.  Didn't seem like Showtime cancelled it, but more Green wanted to move on and Logan didn't wanna continue the show without her (which I whole-heartedly agree with).

Archived