Most disappointing show cancellations

Alarich II

5 hours ago, DMC said:

Seconded.  Penny Dreadful would be the only thing near its competitor for TSCC, but I don't really count it.  Didn't seem like Showtime cancelled it, but more Green wanted to move on and Logan didn't wanna continue the show without her (which I whole-heartedly agree with).

IM sure i asked this last time but where did you read that Green wanted to move on?

Ah, the holy trinity of Netflix - "Sense8", "Daredevil" and "Marco Polo" (the last while not being really great in first season, showed great potential in the second season. I wanted more.)

"Agent Carter" was difficult to say good-bye. Atwell has been amazing as Peggy and I hate ABC for pushing AC out of the window in order to snatch Atwell for that awful series.

"Rome" certainly remains that gloriously unfinished story. "Terra Nova" had amazing concept and I wish to have seen more of it.

Even though they finally made the movie, Deadwood will always be a loss. They needed at least one more full season to wrap up the show properly.

I recently watched a cancelled CW show from the early 2010s called The Secret Circle, and it was terrible, but terrible in a really amusing kind of way. I feel like they could have just gone completely bonkers for another season or two, and it would have been fun to watch. 

At Titancon, @Pebble thats Stubby arranged a Family Feud-style game in which one of the questions was a show that was cancelled too early. I don't know the total number of respondents, but top answer was something like 52% saying Firefly ... and then after that was Fucking Firefly and then Firefly God Damn It, etc. I think it was chosen by something over 80% of total respondents (Pebble will know for sure). It was quite funny.

But yes, Firefly. Bit gutted about The OA as well. Daredevil is the only one of the Netflix Marvel shows I really felt a twinge at being cancelled. 

ETA: Oh, yes, Rome. And Deadwood. And frankly, I wanted another season of Treme.

@HelenaExMachina

I think it's the gossip, but it may have a grain of truth. Green noted in interviews during season 3 that she'd spent nearly half the year in Ireland for each of the seasons, and she spoke of Ireland as kind of ... well, not having much for her to enjoy. Maybe a lack of friends, maybe a lack of nightlife to her taste, maybe cultural differences, whatever. Heard some random claims that she's indicated in interviews that she had issues in her childhood which was partly in Ireland, so maybe there's that to factor in if it left her with a bias against the place.

But near as I can tell, it's celebrity gossip/rumor, and never seen it sourced when it's been brought up elsewhere on the internet.

Recently, the Joel McHale led sitcom the Great Indoors. For some reason, I enjoyed the shit out of that show. Plus, McLovin was in it...and for a future thread, whenever Vice stops making Action Bronson Watches Ancient Aliens. Watch that shit.

20 hours ago, SkynJay said:

I am currently pissed at Amazon for dropping The Tick.

What? I didn't even notice, I really enjoyed this show! Next thing they'll cancel Miss Maisel and then I only keep my Prime membership for the overnight delivery...

11 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm surprised to see all the Rome citations. Frankly I loved the first season so much that I haven't even bothered to watch the second. 

As you can see, that is a bizarre and unacceptable life choice. Yes, season 2 is kinda messy and rushes through stuff. But it doesn't really feel rushed unless you know big events (like Antony's campaigns in Asia that were being set up with Herrod) are missing from the real story. The show noticeably starts skipping months and sometimes years between episodes, but it's a production limitation rather than a writing one so it's not horribly jarring like a lot of shows that have to suddenly wrap 20 pounds of plot threads into a two episode series finale. It feels natural and if anything leaves you desperately craving more, which is one of the two ideal outcomes of a series and specifically its ending.

Watch season 2. It's not quite as good as season 1 from a head-to-head comparison but it's fucking awesome! Stop being a goober.

4 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

As you can see, that is a bizarre and unacceptable life choice. Yes, season 2 is kinda messy and rushes through stuff. But it doesn't really feel rushed unless you know big events (like Antony's campaigns in Asia that were being set up with Herrod) are missing from the real story. The show noticeably starts skipping months and sometimes years between episodes, but it's a production limitation rather than a writing one so it's not horribly jarring like a lot of shows that have to suddenly wrap 20 pounds of plot threads into a two episode series finale. It feels natural and if anything leaves you desperately craving more, which is one of the two ideal outcomes of a series and specifically its ending.

Watch season 2. It's not quite as good as season 1 from a head-to-head comparison but it's fucking awesome! Stop being a goober.

I see someone’s sassiness carried over from last night’s draft.

Anywell, I wanted Caesar’s story, and that’s what I got with season one. I don’t need a lesser convoluted story about the person I plan to name my first son after.

20 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

IM sure i asked this last time but where did you read that Green wanted to move on?

Sorry, forgot to respond to this yesterday.  Like Ran said, just rumors.  The way I read between the lines of this interview with Logan and David Nevins is Green was the impetus for it to end at that season more so than Logan, but that's just my interpretation.  Regardless, it's very explicit they did not want to continue without Vanessa Ives, so in terms of this thread I don't think it qualifies as really being cancelled.

10 hours ago, Alarich II said:

What? I didn't even notice, I really enjoyed this show! Next thing they'll cancel Miss Maisel and then I only keep my Prime membership for the overnight delivery...

No danger there, the show continues to reel in critical acclaim and awards for them, its their darling! (Rightly so)

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Sorry, forgot to respond to this yesterday.  Like Ran said, just rumors.  The way I read between the lines of this interview with Logan and David Nevins is Green was the impetus for it to end at that season more so than Logan, but that's just my interpretation.  Regardless, it's very explicit they did not want to continue without Vanessa Ives, so in terms of this thread I don't think it qualifies as really being cancelled.

Hmm, interesting take on the interview. I didnt read it as Green wanting out, just that they knew the character was going to be on her way out. As i said before, i think the ending was possibly earlier than Logan expected so whether it was cancelled or not is a bit debateable. Regardless, i mourn it deeply

Still v. sad about The Tick and Agent Carter. 

Would have loved Jessica Jones to have one more season. Daredevil was great, but I think it would only have got worse if it had carried on. With the stars in a favourable alignment, JJ4 could have been just grand. 

Honourable mention to Tuca and Berty on Netflix, cancelled after just one season. I don't know if S2 would have kept up/improved on S1, but I would have loved to have the chance to find out. 

12 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

As i said before, i think the ending was possibly earlier than Logan expected so whether it was cancelled or not is a bit debateable.

I agree the last season was rushed, which is why I don't really buy some of the company lines stated in that interview - e.g. that they planned on ending it "midway through the second season" in the way they did.  If that's the case why even bother introducing Dr. Jekyll at the beginning of three?  Anyway, the primary reason I parse that interview in such a way is Logan's response here:

There was no doubt in your mind that it had to end?

Logan: No doubt in my mind. Eva Green really is my muse, and I set out to write a story about a very complicated character that I love deeply.

The first thing he mentions to the "why'd this end now question" is about Eva Green.

One I liked was Limitless, only had one season but I thought it was a fun show that just didn't quite make it. It never got accused of great acting or writing, but was just interesting enough and light hearted enough to be enjoyable.

Dare Devil, Jessica Jones, Punisher, I liked Dare Devil the most of those.  The OA, man there were times I loved it and times where I was like WTF. Same with Sense8, the damn movie ending was horribly rushed and it showed.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

One I liked was Limitless, only had one season but I thought it was a fun show that just didn't quite make it. It never got accused of great acting or writing, but was just interesting enough and light hearted enough to be enjoyable.

Yeah, Limitless was amazing. I adored how they simply left the procedural nature and adopted the quirkiness. It was truly exceptional.

Another one I really like was "Forever". They started and got cancelled the same year. I thought both shows were really fun to watch.

I haven't seen someone mentioning "Galavant". That one was a rare gem on TV landscape.

6 hours ago, Risto said:

I haven't seen someone mentioning "Galavant". That one was a rare gem on TV landscape.

Indeed, though it's remarkable enough that it got a second season! And while it would be nice to see Tad Cooper all grown up, the final episode did wrap everything up much more neatly than the first season did.

Archived