Most disappointing show cancellations

Alarich II

5 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Oh, well.  We still had The Americans.

I can't remember any TV show having such effective slow burn. It lasted for, what, three years, and then that finale happened. I am still under impression of it. 

On 8/31/2019 at 3:33 PM, Martell Spy said:

Yeah, Daredevil is definitely the most disappointing. Deadwood was really bad, too. But with Daredevil, it had just come off off a great season. And they were like, oh by the way Cox can never play the character again and will likely be recast to save money. Oh, and all those other shows you like in Marvel Netflix?All gone too, along with the actors. 

I never heard that!  That is depressing because Cox is really good in the role.  I saw him a while back talking about the petition that was circulating.  I wonder what Woll and Henson think.  Primarily Woll though I would like to see everyone remain. 

My So Called Life was a great show.  I recently read about AJ Langer being the Countess of Devon.

9 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Once in a while I still think about Rubicon.  It had such a slow burn going, no one had the patience to wait for it to play out.  Oh, well.  We still had The Americans.

That show had a great, great theme song. It was funny to see Christopher Welch show up on Silicon Valley as a VC in the first season because I remember him from Rubicon. 

The greatest leap of faith that Rubicon asked of its viewers was to believe someone would have had the first name of Truxton. Just glorious, preposterous stuff. 

52 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

That show had a great, great theme song. It was funny to see Christopher Welch show up on Silicon Valley as a VC in the first season because I remember him from Rubicon. 

The greatest leap of faith that Rubicon asked of its viewers was to believe someone would have had the first name of Truxton. Just glorious, preposterous stuff. 

Truxton sounds to my ears like someone who's truculent - quick to argue.

How about Guedron?  French name that made its way to the American South.  

/end threadjack 

11 hours ago, Risto said:

I can't remember any TV show having such effective slow burn. It lasted for, what, three years, and then that finale happened. I am still under impression of it. 

Three years? Wasnt it a season per year? (So, 5/6 years?)

5 hours ago, Vaughn said:

Poor Martin Starr, just scraping by with a large secondary part in a $400M Marvel movie this summer. 

He was in Silicon Valley. I had no idea that was him. Only watched half a season though. Never saw the Spiderman movies. Didn't know he was in them. OK, maybe the geeks didn't exactly fall into obscurity.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Three years? Wasnt it a season per year? (So, 5/6 years?)

Well, I think the ultimate slow burn started in Season 4, lasted through the Season 5 and better part of Season 6 only to Kaboom in last two episodes. 

21 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Once in a while I still think about Rubicon.  It had such a slow burn going, no one had the patience to wait for it to play out.  Oh, well.  We still had The Americans.

I'm glad someone finally said it!

I would've liked to see more Firefly sure, but i'm fairly sure of the formula and that it would've played out in a certain way. Rubicon was a bit different, it had it's own feel and I was awfully pissed off when it got canned. Michael Cristofer was/is incredible.

4 hours ago, Astromech said:

He was in Silicon Valley. I had no idea that was him. Only watched half a season though. Never saw the Spiderman movies. Didn't know he was in them. OK, maybe the geeks didn't exactly fall into obscurity.

I don't know. Martin Starr has done well, but does anyone know his name like, say, Seth Rogan or James Franco or...Sarah Marshall Guy?

On 9/1/2019 at 8:40 PM, Hodor the Articulate said:

Cupid... is a show probably no one remembers, but Paula Marshall and Jeremy Piven were fantastic leads.

I remember it.  For some reason my mom and I watched it together (Ally McBeal was another rare show I watched with my mom).

Reminds me of a show I watched with my Dad that was cancelled pretty early, Brimstone.  No idea if it was any good, but at the time we bother were upset to lose 'our' show.  It was a guy who was let out of Hell to chase down a bunch of horrible people who escaped hell in a mass breakout.

4 hours ago, SkynJay said:

I remember it.  For some reason my mom and I watched it together (Ally McBeal was another rare show I watched with my mom).

Reminds me of a show I watched with my Dad that was cancelled pretty early, Brimstone.  No idea if it was any good, but at the time we bother were upset to lose 'our' show.  It was a guy who was let out of Hell to chase down a bunch of horrible people who escaped hell in a mass breakout.

I remember Brimstone and recall lamenting its cancellation. Peter Horton as the lead was good, and John Glover as the Devil was amazing. It actually was pretty good by the standards of late 90s television, IMO, with very consistent writing and a premise that supported episodic stories.

The first show to pop into my head when reading this title was a show called John Doe.  This was a fox show that came out in 2002 about a man who has no idea who he is, but basically knows everything else.

The season was spent with him helping solve crimes for the police while trying to find out who he was.  The whole time he was living in above a bar owned by someone who became his friend.  The season ended on a cliff hanger when he found out that his friend had something to do with who he was.  I was so excited for the following season and then found out it was cancelled, really stuck with me.

Someone else also mentioned Forever and I loved that show.  I was sad to see that go.

On 8/31/2019 at 8:05 PM, Triskele said:

Let me be clear that John from Cincinnati was not a great show.  But I was quite bummed it was cancelled because it had an element in it that was really intriguing in a "where were they going with that" kind of way where I'd have liked to see more.

On a smaller scale, same thing with the more recent HBO show Here and Now.  Got terrible critical reviews and bad ratings as far as I'm aware, but similar to JfC it had a metaphysical plotline that was intriguing in and of itself despite the rest of the show's flaws.  

I liked John From Cincinnati a lot. I wouldn't have traded Deadwood for it, of course. And we'll never get a real explanation as to what everything meant but you can sort of almost make sense of it as is with the few things Milch has said about it. It's got an amazing cast and some great writing. 

Edit: any Deadwood fans who haven't seen John From Cincinnati should check it out on HBOgo. It won't take long and it won't make sense but it will be interesting. 

Anyway I didn't actually watch Freaks and Geeks and Firefly before they were canceled so my answer would be The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. Fucking gutted me as a kid when they canceled that after one awesome season. I don't even think I knew shows could get canceled before that. 

Archived