So who is The Harpy?

Dreadscythe95

Is it Hizdar zo Loraq? Is it Shavepate? Is it Reznak mo Reznak or someone else?

Well I have to go with the opinion that The Harpy is Galazza Galare, The Green Grace of Meeren. She seems wise and kind and she has given Dany a lot of advice, including marrying Hizdar and re-opening the fighting pits. What clue Martin gives us that exposes her though is when she says to Ser Barristan Selmy after Dany is gone with Drogon that Daenerys is dead they should kill the other 2 dragons as well. She is also a woman (The Harpy) and she is a religious leader, which gives her a lot of power. 

What do you guys think?

41 minutes ago, Dreadscythe95 said:

The Harpy is Galazza Galare, The Green Grace of Meeren.

:agree:

The Harpy is a female. Warriors of Meereen are her "sons", and Graces of various colors are her "daughters". Seems that she's something like spiritual leader of Meereen, the Mother of slavers, who opposes Dany, the Mother of Dragons.

It’s the Green Grace.

Hidzhar probably genuinely does want to use Dany to elevate Meereen to a place of prominence in the world (a Ghiscari with common sense!).

Although I don’t think it matters because we’re going to get Order 66 on the Slaving families in the next book. Plus George has said he likes the show “I Claudius” and there’s a bit in that where all the conspirator families are happily celebrating and the Praetorians stomp in to arrest the plotters; panic ensuing. It would not surprise me if he does his take on that in Mereen. Slavers Bay is his take on Classical Rome after all.

I have no doubt that the Green Grace, Hizdar and Reznak were all in league and probably behind the Sons of the Harpy. But keep in mind that none of them wanted Daenerys to leave Meereen. When some in her council urged her to do that, Reznak pleaded with her to remain. Like the Undying and Illyrio and Xaro, the Green Grace and Hizdar and Reznak want to use Daenerys--and her dragons. 

42 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I have no doubt that the Green Grace, Hizdar and Reznak were all in league and probably behind the Sons of the Harpy. But keep in mind that none of them wanted Daenerys to leave Meereen. When some in her council urged her to do that, Reznak pleaded with her to remain. Like the Undying and Illyrio and Xaro, the Green Grace and Hizdar and Reznak want to use Daenerys--and her dragons. 

That's probably true. Through Fire and Blood they can achieve their goals and rule Meeren, while if Daenerys leaves they have nothing to back their place, they become noblemen among the many again.

2 hours ago, Dreadscythe95 said:

That's probably true. Through Fire and Blood they can achieve their goals and rule Meeren, while if Daenerys leaves they have nothing to back their place, they become noblemen among the many again.

And once she gives Hizdar an heir, they can off her. Which suggests that perhaps someone else served her the poisoned locusts. Was it the Shavepate? Even though he was opposed to the Sons of the Harpy, his position deteriorated after Daenerys wed Hizdar. 

I don't think there is any one leader Harpy, I think the Green Grace is just as she represents herself, an intermediary that knows the will of the Sons well enough and is so trusted to broker on their behalf. I believe this because her desire for peace seems sincere. And that Hizdahr is also what he seems, a mediocrity, and that's part of the reason he was accepted as the Sons to be her husband.

The idea that there is a leader Harpy I think is a fabrication by Skahaz, and that he arranged for the locusts to be poisoned to frame Hizdahr (meaning he had kidnapped, murdered and mutilated  Hizdahr's servant's little girl), all in an effort to gain the power (by either Dany's consent or with the wroth of her people if she were to die) to kill all the former slavers. That's what Skahaz wants most earnestly, and there being a hidden Harpy leader and the locust poisoning both help that agenda.

On 8/29/2019 at 10:13 AM, Dreadscythe95 said:

Well I have to go with the opinion that The Harpy is Galazza Galare, The Green Grace of Meeren. She seems wise and kind and she has given Dany a lot of advice, including marrying Hizdar and re-opening the fighting pits. What clue Martin gives us that exposes her though is when she says to Ser Barristan Selmy after Dany is gone with Drogon that Daenerys is dead they should kill the other 2 dragons as well. She is also a woman (The Harpy) and she is a religious leader, which gives her a lot of power. 

What do you guys think?

:agree:

She leads the harpy.  Although there may not be head harpy.  She represents the harpy, the god of slavery.  

Something to consider. The purpose of all this political intrigue in Meereen is to either prepare Dany for, or to be a missed opportunity to prepare Dany for ruling Westeros.

Meereen has the GG, and a counterpart in Westeros may be Varys, an actor trying to heal the wounds and sow a new peace. Meereen has the Shavepate, and there may be in Westeros come the end of the new Dance an actor devoted to destroying every house that opposed her in the Dance.

If Dany doesn't return and Barry and Tyrion are left to sift through everything, or the city just burns and they cut and run, then Dany will not have learnt the most poignant lessons come time for her to try and rule Westeros.

On 8/29/2019 at 10:13 AM, Dreadscythe95 said:

What do you guys think?

The Harpy cannot be kind.  That is not possible.  Yes the Harpy can show outwards signs of good manners to her social class or her betters.  But do not mistake that for kindness.  The Harpy is the symbol of the Master Class and she supports the owning of slaves.  I agree with your assessment besides the kindness part.  The Green Grace is indeed the Harpy.

11 hours ago, Dany's Red Comet said:

The Harpy cannot be kind.  That is not possible.  Yes the Harpy can show outwards signs of good manners to her social class or her betters.  But do not mistake that for kindness.  The Harpy is the symbol of the Master Class and she supports the owning of slaves.  I agree with your assessment besides the kindness part.  The Green Grace is indeed the Harpy.

I only meant that she acts kind, not that she actually is. 

Archived