So who is The Harpy?

Dreadscythe95

Galazza Galare.  It has to be a well-known fact among the masters of Meereen.  There has never been any reason to hide the identity because it has been thousands of years since the masters were challenged.  All of the slaving families know this and are hiding the truth.  

All clues lead us to believe that the Harpy is Galazza Galare, The Green Grace of Meeren. When she is asked if the Sons of the Harpy tried to poison Dany she afims that they did not do it. How could she know that?  Harpy also is female and she is female. Also, she is the one that shows Dany how to go to the Pyramids and become a KIngs´Wife. Dany follows her advice and no one even tries anything against her.

7 hours ago, TheThreeEyedCow said:

Go on...

It's a hunch and mostly based on literary clues. I know some people don't like mining the book for literary meaning. If you're open to them, you can take or leave these few hints I can recall off the top of my head.

Perhaps I should add: I believe that GRRM is giving us a number of parallel stories in ASOIAF to show that power corrupts and that one person's hero is another person's villain. A "Dany = Harpy" theory is just one example among his main characters. Many people praise Dany as the liberator of slaves, but she also destabilizes Astapor, opens the door to a plague and crucifies the slaveholders in exactly the same cruel way that they crucified slave children. Is she really a hero, or has she recreated a new version of the same oppression she hoped to alleviate? The Unsullied may be technically liberated after Dany "buys" them, but she still plans to command them and to use them as canon fodder for an invasion of Westeros. She tells them they are free to go but offers no support for them to return to their homelands or to learn new trades.

Some of this is taken from earlier posts here and here.

- When Dany buys the Unsullied, Kraznys mo Naklos hands her a whip called The Harpy's Fingers. I spin a longer theory in the linked post, but the dragonbone handle of this whip tells me it is a Targaryen weapon. In a nutshell, I think Kraznys is a symbolic King Aerys, recognizing Dany as his heir.  In a "be careful what you wish for" twist, however, Dany hands over the dragon that Kraznys coveted, and the dragon then roasts the man holding the leash. Stark children take on qualities of the people bitten by their bonded direwolves; similarly, I think Dany takes on qualities of Kraznys when Drogon roasts him. She is "becoming" Aerys at this key moment but she is also becoming a harpy, just like her monster baby had leathery skin and wings and a tail.

- The secret organization known as the Sons of the Harpy attack the Unsullied and Dany's allies. Although they make concerted efforts, Dany and her minions cannot discover the identity of the Harpy to put a stop to the murders. As the bloodshed continues, Dany is drawn into behaviors that contradict her own values and ideals as a way to appease the mysterious opponent. She marries Hizdahr, even though he is a likely candidate to be the Harpy and even though Dany does not love him. Through this marriage, she allows resumption of the deadly sporting events at the fighting pits, even though she had previously banned them. Is GRRM's point that Dany IS the Harpy? She has the whip, the monster(s), the husband, the pyramid, the slave army, the blood sports. . . . Until she leaves them behind and becomes a dragon rider. (Does the dragon riding represent a break from the pattern she had fallen into, or does it simply mean that Dany can now fly, just like the winged Harpy can presumably fly on its bat/eagle wings?)

- Is the fate of the Harpy statue on the great pyramid in Meereen a prediction of the fate in store for the Iron Throne? Drogon takes the place of the toppled statue. A sculptor proposes to impose Dany's face on one of the major Harpy statues in a plaza, but she politely declines.

There are some other details in the links about the way GRRM uses chimeras and mythical beasts and more symbolism around long claws / harpy's fingers.

I'm not sure I found it in this link, but there was also a discussion about Rhaegar's harp that may relate to the harpy and its Targaryen connection through GRRM's use of wordplay hints.

On 9/2/2019 at 12:04 PM, HallowedMarcus said:

All clues lead us to believe that the Harpy is Galazza Galare, The Green Grace of Meeren. When she is asked if the Sons of the Harpy tried to poison Dany she afims that they did not do it. How could she know that?  Harpy also is female and she is female. Also, she is the one that shows Dany how to go to the Pyramids and become a KIngs´Wife. Dany follows her advice and no one even tries anything against her.

Good point.  I have to agree.

On 9/2/2019 at 6:19 PM, Seams said:

It's a hunch and mostly based on literary clues. I know some people don't like mining the book for literary meaning. If you're open to them, you can take or leave these few hints I can recall off the top of my head.

Perhaps I should add: I believe that GRRM is giving us a number of parallel stories in ASOIAF to show that power corrupts and that one person's hero is another person's villain. A "Dany = Harpy" theory is just one example among his main characters. Many people praise Dany as the liberator of slaves, but she also destabilizes Astapor, opens the door to a plague and crucifies the slaveholders in exactly the same cruel way that they crucified slave children. Is she really a hero, or has she recreated a new version of the same oppression she hoped to alleviate? The Unsullied may be technically liberated after Dany "buys" them, but she still plans to command them and to use them as canon fodder for an invasion of Westeros. She tells them they are free to go but offers no support for them to return to their homelands or to learn new trades.

Some of this is taken from earlier posts here and here.

- When Dany buys the Unsullied, Kraznys mo Naklos hands her a whip called The Harpy's Fingers. I spin a longer theory in the linked post, but the dragonbone handle of this whip tells me it is a Targaryen weapon. In a nutshell, I think Kraznys is a symbolic King Aerys, recognizing Dany as his heir.  In a "be careful what you wish for" twist, however, Dany hands over the dragon that Kraznys coveted, and the dragon then roasts the man holding the leash. Stark children take on qualities of the people bitten by their bonded direwolves; similarly, I think Dany takes on qualities of Kraznys when Drogon roasts him. She is "becoming" Aerys at this key moment but she is also becoming a harpy, just like her monster baby had leathery skin and wings and a tail.

- The secret organization known as the Sons of the Harpy attack the Unsullied and Dany's allies. Although they make concerted efforts, Dany and her minions cannot discover the identity of the Harpy to put a stop to the murders. As the bloodshed continues, Dany is drawn into behaviors that contradict her own values and ideals as a way to appease the mysterious opponent. She marries Hizdahr, even though he is a likely candidate to be the Harpy and even though Dany does not love him. Through this marriage, she allows resumption of the deadly sporting events at the fighting pits, even though she had previously banned them. Is GRRM's point that Dany IS the Harpy? She has the whip, the monster(s), the husband, the pyramid, the slave army, the blood sports. . . . Until she leaves them behind and becomes a dragon rider. (Does the dragon riding represent a break from the pattern she had fallen into, or does it simply mean that Dany can now fly, just like the winged Harpy can presumably fly on its bat/eagle wings?)

- Is the fate of the Harpy statue on the great pyramid in Meereen a prediction of the fate in store for the Iron Throne? Drogon takes the place of the toppled statue. A sculptor proposes to impose Dany's face on one of the major Harpy statues in a plaza, but she politely declines.

There are some other details in the links about the way GRRM uses chimeras and mythical beasts and more symbolism around long claws / harpy's fingers.

I'm not sure I found it in this link, but there was also a discussion about Rhaegar's harp that may relate to the harpy and its Targaryen connection through GRRM's use of wordplay hints.

Those are some good points and the parallels between Theon and the Unsullied seem to fit. I'm just having another read through. I'm getting to the end of GOT so I'll be keeping this in mind going forwards. I agree that Dany didn't think things all the way through re the freeing of slaves and the "liberation" of Mereen. And the idea that 'The Harpy' is actually Dany herself is very tantalising. As you said, with the whip, slave army, and pyramid... it's a question of perspective. Thanks for sharing.

On 8/31/2019 at 3:30 AM, chrisdaw said:

Something to consider. The purpose of all this political intrigue in Meereen is to either prepare Dany for, or to be a missed opportunity to prepare Dany for ruling Westeros.

Meereen has the GG, and a counterpart in Westeros may be Varys, an actor trying to heal the wounds and sow a new peace. Meereen has the Shavepate, and there may be in Westeros come the end of the new Dance an actor devoted to destroying every house that opposed her in the Dance.

If Dany doesn't return and Barry and Tyrion are left to sift through everything, or the city just burns and they cut and run, then Dany will not have learnt the most poignant lessons come time for her to try and rule Westeros.

Or rather to destroy her sense of justice, generosity and trust? The urban guerrilla warfare against the freedmen and Unsullied would sour anyones ideals.

Archived