Saddest chapters in ASOIAF

LHakaLH

5 hours ago, Jekse said:

A Ghost In Winterfell because of Theon's history of making dumb decisions and him looking back at his failures 

To that point I'd put pretty much all of Theon's chapters in ADWD up there, with a special nod to his first chapter in ADWD, where you're not really sure who it is at first but then it hits you with it being Theon (although if I recall, they still don't even use Theon's name, just "stark's ward" and other indirect signifiers).

not sure if sad is the right word for this next one.but going back to Hodor, Bran's final aDWD chapter affects me a lot pertaining to Hodor. the way Bran is so willing to warg into him for his own pleasure and the way Hodor cowers deep inside of himself at the presence of Bran is the most haunting and unsettling thing to me in the whole series. plus all Hodor's done for Bran for him to use him like that id disturbing.

On 10/2/2019 at 5:42 AM, R2D said:

The chapter where Sansa tells Loras that  Margaery must have been so sad to lose her husband, showing how homophobia doesn't have to be about vulgar threats or violence to have an effect. I felt so sorry for Loras in that chapter.

Sansa doesn't even know that Loras is a homosexual, how can this case be homophobia?

2 hours ago, miyuki said:

Sansa doesn't even know that Loras is a homosexual, how can this case be homophobia?

Right. It's not. I think I might understand what the poster was trying to get across though - that Sansa didn't know anything about Loras & Renly & assumed (for good reason) that Margaery would be the more grief stricken of the two because she lost her husband. That unintentionally impacted Loras for a multitude of reasons, but also because he was faced with the reality of the situation in that no one even knew he had reason to be grief stricken let alone understood what he was feeling. 

Definitely not homophobic though. 

Jaime's first chapter in FFC. He stands sigil for his father and thinks of many things, mostly how pointless the investigation for Tywin's killer is since he was involved as well, thinks of Rhaegar's final words to him. Basically every time a pov character recalls Rhaegar it is always a sad moment. 

I believe that also this passage from AFFC deserves to be mentioned:

Mya shook her head. "I remember a man throwing me in the air when I was very little. He stands as tall as the sky, and he throws me up so high it feels as though I'm flying. We're both laughing, laughing so much that I can hardly catch a breath, and finally I laugh so hard I wet myself, but that only makes him laugh the louder. I was never afraid when he was throwing me. I knew that he would always be there to catch me." She pushed her hair back. "Then one day he wasn't. Men come and go. They lie, or die, or leave you.

I would have actually named the same Catelyn chapter as in the OP, off the top of my head.

I agree also about A Ghost in WInterfell, and Arya's chapters become increasingly sad, building up to the one where she decides that there is nothing left to do but use Jaquen's coin, after which they become pretty disturbing.

All of the Catelyn's chapters after Catelyn VII in Clash get more and more depressing and heartbreaking.

Samwell II and IV in Feast, Arya XIII in Storm, Eddard XV in Game and all of Theon's chapters in Dance except for the last one are all massive gut-punches. The closing sentences of Bran VII in Clash are also a major tearjerker.

On 10/9/2019 at 1:51 AM, Danelle said:

Jaime's first chapter in FFC. He stands sigil for his father and thinks of many things, mostly how pointless the investigation for Tywin's killer is since he was involved as well, thinks of Rhaegar's final words to him. Basically every time a pov character recalls Rhaegar it is always a sad moment. 

Isn't that strangest thing? Whenever anyone thinks or talks about Rhaegar, it's always sad and super melancholic. The who, the why and the when doesn't matter. Like it never, ever fails. It's always sad.

On 10/13/2019 at 8:51 AM, Jabar of House Titan said:

Isn't that strangest thing? Whenever anyone thinks or talks about Rhaegar, it's always sad and super melancholic. The who, the why and the when doesn't matter. Like it never, ever fails. It's always sad.

Barristan, Eddard and Cersei have their sad Rhaegar related moments as well. Only Dany thinks of Rhaegar without feeling sad but then again she had never met him.

5 hours ago, Danelle said:

Barristan, Eddard and Cersei have their sad Rhaegar related moments as well. Only Dany thinks of Rhaegar without feeling sad but then again she had never met him.

Dany does feel sad when she thinks of Rhaegar. She feels sad that she never got a chance to meet him or his children. She feels sad that he was such a melancholic, gentle soul. She even daydreams about the likelihood of her marrying Rhaegar's son Aegon.

Even when Robert Baratheon talks about Rhaegar, it's sad. Sure, it's more pathetic than anything...but sad is sad.

On 8. Oktober 2019 at 11:52 PM, miyuki said:

I guess he/she was just trying to say that the world is so homophobic, that Loras can not openly grief for his lover so Sansa would know and wouldn't ask about Magaery, but about Loras himself instead.

Certainly various Arya chapters after the Red Wedding, specially when she wargs and discovers Catelyn's body. Also, I recall Brienne's thoughts throughout her chapters in book 4 to be really dark and hopeless: her confession in Quiet Isle, her remembrance of painful events from her childhood, the chapter in which she's ambushed in the ruins of that castle... She is basically questioning herself, her motifs and her whole existence in every single chapter. The devastation of the Riverlands after the war, as seen from numerous POVs, was also painful to read.

On 10/9/2019 at 3:22 AM, miyuki said:

Jeez, Sansa stans always take the slightest offence at anything. I'm saying that homophobia has multiple layers and assuming everyone is straight is another way in which it impacts gay people. (Yeah, I know, Sansa probably doesn't even know gay people exist, I get it). I'm not calling Sansa homophobic.

And don't say someone is "a homosexual", it has negative connotations. 

27 minutes ago, R2D said:

Jeez, Sansa stans always take the slightest offence at anything. I'm saying that homophobia has multiple layers and assuming everyone is straight is another way in which it impacts gay people. (Yeah, I know, Sansa probably doesn't even know gay people exist, I get it). I'm not calling Sansa homophobic.

And don't say someone is "a homosexual", it has negative connotations. 

It's funny how you accuse Sansa stans of being offended too easily and then go rant about how random microagressions are homophobia and offensive.  :)

But the case of Sansa and Loras in ASoS is not homophobia in any way. It's just someone being unknowingly insensitive. Sansa doesn't know Loras and Renly were really close, so she talks casually about Renly's murder. Think of somebody talking casually about Robb's death in the red wedding near Sansa. She'd likely go full hurt mode but most likely hiding it behind courtesy. 

Being insensitive to someone who is a homosexual is not homophobia if the reason for being insensitive is not the person's homosexuality. It's just being insensitive.

7 minutes ago, miyuki said:

It's funny how you accuse Sansa stans of being offended too easily and then go rant about how random microagressions are homophobia and offensive.  :)

But the case of Sansa and Loras in ASoS is not homophobia in any way. It's just someone being unknowingly insensitive. Sansa doesn't know Loras and Renly were really close, so she talks casually about Renly's murder. Think of somebody talking casually about Robb's death in the red wedding near Sansa. She'd likely go full hurt mode but most likely hiding it behind courtesy. 

Being insensitive to someone who is a homosexual is not homophobia if the reason for being insensitive is not the person's homosexuality. It's just being insensitive.

No, it's still homophobia if the person in question doesn't know they're being homophobic.

Just now, R2D said:

No, it's still homophobia if the person in question doesn't know they're being homophobic.

Answer this then. A crazy, hypothetical situation.

Someone is throwing rocks at random people. That someone has no idea who these people are nor does Someone know anything about their sexuality.

Is Someone a homophobe every time the rocks hits a homosexual but just violent every time the rock hits a straight person? 

Just now, miyuki said:

Answer this then. A crazy, hypothetical situation.

Someone is throwing rocks at random people. That someone has no idea who these people are nor does Someone know anything about their sexuality.

Is Someone a homophobe every time the rocks hits a homosexual but just violent every time the rock hits a straight person? 

No, because that situation in question does not make assumptions about the person's character or sexuality.

Just now, R2D said:

No, because that situation in question does not make assumptions about the person's character or sexuality.

Sansa doesn't make any assumptions either. She says that Renly's death must have been horrible for Margarey and then Loras gets upset and says why talk about Rebly when he is dead. Please explain the homophobia here. 

2 minutes ago, miyuki said:

Sansa doesn't make any assumptions either. She says that Renly's death must have been horrible for Margarey and then Loras gets upset and says why talk about Rebly when he is dead. Please explain the homophobia here. 

She makes an assumption that Margaery is more impacted by the death than Loras, as she offers no condolences to Loras, an understandable assumption to make, but an assumption nonetheless. Loras not being able to mourn publicly and having to watch people offer their sympathies to Margaery is because of homophobia, which Sansa's unknowing remarks contribute to .

Archived