GRRM's new book Fire and Blood (about the Targaryen dynasty) says that after death Targaryen family members were cremated rather than buried; and that at the funeral of a dragon-rider, his dragon was often called on to light the funeral pyre. Clearly the time-duration and power needed when used for that purpose, would be much less than (e.g.) a full long blast against an enemy fort. Likely, the plain order "Dracarys" must have come in many variations acccording to what job it had to do.

On 8/29/2019 at 10:25 PM, Anthony Appleyard said:

I borrowed it from the library and tried to read it.  To be perfectly honest, I found it tedious.  A lot of it seems to be repeated information from his other targ history book.  It felt like a money grab.

I've read Fire & Blood several times, and even though you have a point, it does get a little tedious at times, I thought it was really interesting to learn all about these characters from ASOIAF that you never get to meet. 

I feel like it stopped just before the interesting parts started. I personally find politics before the dragons all died boring because the Targs are basically untouchable, which doesn't make for much excitement. It would be much better if F&B had come out before TWOIAF, but it didn't and it feels a lot like what argonak said, a cash grab.