Aussies: NSW Politicians, keeping ICAC in business

Jeor

10 hours ago, Paxter said:

This Kyle Sandilands thing. Shouldn't the people who supported Folau be demanding Kyle not be sacked? There seems to be some inconsistency here...

I seem to have missed this one.  What's he been up to this time?

10 hours ago, Paxter said:

This Kyle Sandilands thing. Shouldn't the people who supported Folau be demanding Kyle not be sacked? There seems to be some inconsistency here...

Obviously. It’s unacceptable to them that a private organization chooses to separate themselves from a bigot who rants online about gays being perverts an deserve to be eternally tortured along with some other groups of people.

That infringes upon the bigot’s  religious freedom rights.

Man says he finds Christianity dumb and silly? 

Unacceptable.

Religious Freedom=Christian supremacy in most of these people’s minds. It was never about freedom. It has always been about absolute domination.

It has literally never crossed most of their minds that the privileges they heavily fight for need to be given to everyone-not just those who have religious beliefs they like- to have a modicum of fairness.

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

I seem to have missed this one.  What's he been up to this time?

Haha oh Stubby. This one is right up your alley. In a nutshell:

On 19 September 2019, Sandilands commented on air that the Mother of Jesus was a "liar who got knocked up behind a camel shed" among other related comments. Sandilands later apologised for the remarks; but this didn't pacify protesters, who on 23 September called for Sandilands to be sacked.

I think he is now back on air after getting some breathing space in LA for a couple weeks.

56 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Haha oh Stubby. This one is right up your alley. In a nutshell:

I think he is now back on air after getting some breathing space in LA for a couple weeks.

Meh. Hitch used stronger language than that.  EG (paraphrased):

What's more likely? That some bloke was his own virtual dad or a 16 year old minx lied about having sex? 

At least some of our governing politicians had the right response to the incident. From Christian Porter:

“It is not designed to protect people from hearing inflammatory things from FM shock jocks – that type of protection would start to look like a law against blasphemy, which would be a big step backwards for free speech.”

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 10:44 PM, Daniel Newhouse said:

Just saw the movie Australia.  Is there any truth to the narrative?  Other than the part at the end when Nullah runs off with his grandfather there wasn't much that dramatic.  

Wait, didn't Nullah's grandfather kill Nichole Kidman's husband for being a white person?  I know there's some sort of cheating scandal with another ranch that I don't follow.  Maybe someone can explain.  K, if I understand correctly, the other ranch was skimming off of Nichole's ranch by taking the best cattle.  Why shoot the victim?

Never seen the movie but I'm fairly confident that Strictly Ballroom kicks Australia's butt when it comes to Luhrmann films (and great Australian films). 

8 hours ago, Paxter said:

Never seen the movie but I'm fairly confident that Strictly Ballroom kicks Australia's butt when it comes to Luhrmann films (and great Australian films). 

I've been meaning to rewatch that for years - almost fail to find it and then forget. Thanks for the reminder!

Agreed, Strictly Ballroom is a great Aussie movie.  I saw ‘Australia’ years ago and don’t remember the details, just that I didn’t really like it.  Can’t remember what it was exactly, just a bit meh and a lot of hype for nothing.  I saw The Dressmaker recently, highly recommend.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit late to the party on this one, but I had to laugh at the outcome of Hanson's recent trip to Uluru. Her political stunt backfired when she got stuck and had to slide back down the rock, later admitting that she "could see the sense" in banning the climb. 

Onya Pauline.

On 11/5/2019 at 10:40 PM, Paxter said:

A bit late to the party on this one, but I had to laugh at the outcome of Hanson's recent trip to Uluru. Her political stunt backfired when she got stuck and had to slide back down the rock, later admitting that she "could see the sense" in banning the climb. 

Onya Pauline.

Such a numpty.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm assuming Australia never had any bush fires before it legalised gay marriage and abortion.

A person must know they've gone too far with putting their intolerance on display when Alan Jones tells you to pull your head in.

On 11/6/2019 at 3:40 AM, Paxter said:

Onya Pauline.

Yes, but ONLY on safety grounds and not because of any cultural mumbo jumbo; I'm guessing.

Plenty of shenanigans going on in the banking sector (again) with Westpac's CEO resigning yesterday. You'd think they would've learned something after what happened with CBA...but no.

Separately, I do think it's a shame that the banking Royal Commission and associated scandals have received so much more media coverage than the equivalent exercise in the aged care sector. 

Yes, heads are going to continue to roll at Westpac. The problem is that they can't be fined the multi-billion amount that they deserve, as everyone will want to preserve the sacrosanct four pillar-banking sector.

The banking Royal Commission has been a bit of a slow burn really. The initial report was a little soft on detail but now things are coming out. For all the supposed strength of the Australian banking system (and it still is strong in terms of capital requirements) I think the Big Four have become a little complacent given the cartel-like characteristics of the sector.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/parenting/117738049/nazisamoa-aussie-antivaxxer-slams-mandatory-vaccines-during-measles-epidemic

I'm not going to play all high and mighty, since we have more than our fair share of anti-vaxx lunatics here. But this person is particularly bad and I think someone, in Aussie, should lay a complaint to the medical board, or whatever it's called, saying she is practicing medicine without a licence by running $200/person seminars telling people (giving medical advice) not to vaccinate their children.

It's one thing to be going on twitter calling the Samoan govt Nazis as bad as that is. It's whole other thing to be charging people money and telling them lies about vaccines. People making money from promoting anti-vaxx should be shut down.

1 hour ago, Jeor said:

Yes, heads are going to continue to roll at Westpac. The problem is that they can't be fined the multi-billion amount that they deserve, as everyone will want to preserve the sacrosanct four pillar-banking sector.

The banking Royal Commission has been a bit of a slow burn really. The initial report was a little soft on detail but now things are coming out. For all the supposed strength of the Australian banking system (and it still is strong in terms of capital requirements) I think the Big Four have become a little complacent given the cartel-like characteristics of the sector.

This latest revelation is more a product of AUSTRAC being a strong regulator than anything else. The RC is over and was a watered-down affair due to Turnbull/Morrison's pro-business inclinations. 

As for the strength of the system, you'd naturally expect any banks with 10%+ ROEs to be in a decent capital position. The main problems with the system are around conduct and competition rather than balance-sheet strength. 

Archived