Football: same old, same old

A Horse Named Stranger

Not only was that penalty a game-changing error overlooked by VAR, we also didn’t get a blatant penalty against Newcastle when Matip was fouled. 

OTOH, United have been awarded 40% of all PL penalties so far this season, despite rarely getting into the opponent’s box. 

Disappointing result, especially after wasting good chances.  And the players were struggling with heat and humidity.  Napoli are tough opponents. 

Don't cry about United. All the penalties we've been awarded were penalties. You're making it sound like referees are finding excuses to give United penalties while fucking over poor little Liverpool. Let's not forget all the times Liverpool were awarded penalties thanks to Salah diving.

17 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Not only was that penalty a game-changing error overlooked by VAR, we also didn’t get a blatant penalty against Newcastle when Matip was fouled. 

OTOH, United have been awarded 40% of all PL penalties so far this season, despite rarely getting into the opponent’s box. 

Disappointing result, especially after wasting good chances.  And the players were struggling with heat and humidity.  Napoli are tough opponents. 

You're not even competing against United & you've had plenty of calls go for you last season. I would understand being frustrated if City were gifted something but I have zero idea why united are in this debate

16 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Don't cry about United. All the penalties we've been awarded were penalties. You're making it sound like referees are finding excuses to give United penalties while fucking over poor little Liverpool. Let's not forget all the times Liverpool were awarded penalties thanks to Salah diving.

Refs are definitely conspiring against Liverpool, that's why they had the least cards or amongst it last season despite being one of the dirtiest teams.

Anyway, Dortmund really should have beaten Barca there. Several key chances including a penalty. And although Sancho didn't have his most magical game, the only consistent way Barca had to stop him was to kick him six feet in the air.

Chelsea played well enough to get something from that game last night, but just weren't good enough when the opportunities to score arrived. Valencia took their goal well from a nicely worked set piece. 

Ajax sailing to an easy win over Lille makes the victory for Valencia at Stamford Bridge become even more vital. While Chelsea didn't draw one of the biggest names from pot 2, I would say our group is quite well balanced, so to start on a defeat isn't ideal for the team.

Disappointing to see Mount go off injured. He has been one of the best players in the team this season, and we look better having his energy on the pitch. 

14 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

He was great in Europa league for Sevilla. That can’t be denied but I don’t think he ever got top four with them.

Didn't he get Sevilla to CL on multiple occasions but failed to get them to the knockout stages so they ended up in Europa League? Or is my memory playing tricks on me?

9 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Refs are definitely conspiring against Liverpool, that's why they had the least cards or amongst it last season despite being one of the dirtiest teams.

I'd like to see the stats to support this claim. Having seen most Liverpool games last season I didn't get this impression, even with supporter bias aside.

Napoli could be tough to beat in the knockouts. Not too much different than last year but Manolas makes their defense a bit more solid. Him and Koulibaly were awesome. 

On the Liverpool side I don’t think Milner and Hendo really work all that well together when they start in the center of midfield. Wish Naby was healthy, sucks he hasn’t really had a long stretch of games to show his quality.

It’s funny that a year ago Fernandinho was considered the key-man risk for City, the aging crucial player in their system for whom they had no back-up.  Then he missed a lot of games in the second half of the season but it went unnoticed as City went on a relentless winning streak to the title. And now he has been replaced by Rodri as a brand new signing with no bedding-in period needed at all. 

I don’t have any profound point here, just funny how quickly his situation changed. 

11 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Real Madrid were rubbish and got played off the park. Luckily for Real, PSG were without their first choice front three otherwise this would have ended in a very embarrassing scoreline. 

As rubbish as Real Madrid were, I was impressed by how PSG stepped it up without who you would probably consider to be their three best players in Neymar, Mbappe and Cavani. 

What was interesting from Real Madrid's perspective, though, was that Bale was one of their better performers. Considering all the talk of Zidane wanting him to be sold in the summer, he seems to have started the season in decent form.

11 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Some interesting results tonight. Obviously there's Real losing to PSG but I was thought Atalanta might be decent this year and they got spanked by Dinamo Zagreb, Leverkusen lost to Lokomotiv Moscow too.

Dinamo Zagreb became a far more effective sports club from the moment their mafia-style leader had to flee the country cause of lawsuits by the state against him(he does claim, as do higher ups in the club, that he's still managing things from afar, but his presence at the club made it far more morose than the player quality in the past should have made it) and they got their current manager a bit more than a year ago, alongside very good player selection. With the best infrastructure in the country(and even ex-Yugoslavia region), they've finally started playing up to the potential their team has always had. I don't predict they can beat City, or anything close to it, but they could get a draw at home, and could certainly get 2nd place in the group if they keep this level of play up.

It also helps that one of the best talents that was raised in La Masia in Dani Olmo went to Dinamo five years ago and now made a name for himself. Dinamo even rejected offers up to 40 mil. € for him during the summer transfer window. If he keeps being their best player at this stage, he'll sell for even more.

4 hours ago, Jordan La Cabra said:

What was interesting from Real Madrid's perspective, though, was that Bale was one of their better performers. Considering all the talk of Zidane wanting him to be sold in the summer, he seems to have started the season in decent form.

Bale and Rodriguez have started the season decently enough. The problem for Real is that there has been very little team cohesion thus far with players looking like they lack motivation and are just playing for themselves (Bale and Rodriguez just happen to have put in the better individual performances). The link up play between their front 3 has been poor (really it's only Benzema who has looked capable of linking up well with other players), the midfield has been atrocious and is constantly getting overrun even by lesser teams and their defence has been leaking goals for over two seasons except now there is no Ronaldo to paper over the cracks with 40+ goals a season. 

Zidane has a huge task on his hands but I don't think he's going to be given the time with an ultra impatient and demanding fanbase + a trigger happy president who has different ideas on transfers. 

Calling this Liverpool team "one of the dirtiest teams around" is a bit rich. Same with "all the penalties Salah got by diving". 

James sure seems to be doing his utmost to stake his claim as the undisputed diving champion. Tom Daley, watch out.

Didn't get to watch the Napoli game, but from the highlights, that was a very dubious penalty indeed. But if I had to pick one game out of our opening two months to lose, this would have been it. Imperative that we keep up the pressure on an injury-ravaged City at the weekend by beating Chelsea. Hopefully a desperate Watford will be encouraged by their comeback against Arsenal and pounce on City's weakened defence.

Archived