Football: same old, same old

A Horse Named Stranger

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah he had a boss second half.

In the first half the young lad Saka was good too, I understand the decision to take him off and it didn't backfire but right now he looks better than Pepe.

There seems to be a pattern with Guendouzi. When he has time on the ball and the team is in possession, he does a pretty good job of pushing forward. When the team cannot maintain possession, he's part of the reason because he's not very good on the ball in tight spaces (nor is anyone in the back 6). Villa dropping back and inviting pressure from Arsenal was the worst thing they could have done given the players on the pitch.

Well....football fans do enjoy complaining more than gloating so there's that. Klopp could be better in certain aspects (that applies to all managers though as noone is perfect) but it's hard to fault him too much considering he's transformed Liverpool from a EL team to one of the best sides in Europe in less than 4 years. 

I honestly don't know what our midfield should look like anymore, Torriera has played a couple of times but hasn't *really* impressed. Today we had zero midfielders actually tackling the west ham midfielders. Not great.

1 minute ago, Raja said:

I honestly don't know what our midfield should look like anymore, Torriera has played a couple of times but hasn't *really* impressed. Today we had zero midfielders actually tackling the west ham midfielders. Not great. 

You could do a lot worse than Ghendouzi, Willock and Ceballos but that definitely needs shoring up with Torreira to tackle in certain games.

The one thing that is certain is Xhaka should never play again, he makes Matic look dynamic and poised.

3 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

You could do a lot worse than Ghendouzi, Willock and Ceballos but that definitely needs shoring up with Torreira to tackle in certain games.

The one thing that is certain is Xhaka should never play again, he makes Matic look dynamic and poised.

Yeah, I think Guendouzi can do whatever Xhaka can and can actually drive with the ball if need be.

It kinda blows because we have a very decent squad, especially with the emergence of Willock & Saka. Willock in particular is so good on the ball.

Not very convincing today by Liverpool.  A bit of fatigue after midweek, a slight drop in form up front, and a tough opponent on a bit of high after thrashing Wolves.

That’s a good win away from home, but now need to get some rotation going for a heavy slate of games ahead.  We need Ox, Shaqiri, Keita and Lallana fully fit and sharp for when called upon.  The midweek LC game away to MK Dons should be used for that. 

On 9/1/2019 at 9:32 AM, polishgenius said:

Imagine your center-back being Luiz, so knowing you need cover in front of him for when he goes crazy, and the best option for that is Xhaka.

No imagination necessary. I’m living that nightmare.

One of the other problems for Arsenal is the cards. We're leading the EPL this season in yellows so far (17) and we were fourth last year (72) which was only five off the pace of the leaders (Watford with 77).

Guys like Xhaka routinely pick up cards because they're beaten and have to hack the player down instead. It's no surprise that this means either (a) getting players sent off like yesterday, or (b) having already-tentative players in defence being even more hesitant.

I wonder if eventually getting Holding back will improve the defence, and whose place (Sokratis or Luiz) he takes.

Wasn't a bad performance from Chelsea despite losing to Liverpool. I don't think either team was at their best, but Liverpool are so effective now that they can beat teams like Chelsea without playing brilliantly themselves.

There's something about this Liverpool that's similar to the old Mourinho Chelsea team. Liverpool can switch it on and play stylish football, but when they need to battle and make it tough for the opposition, they can do that just as well. 

Watching Liverpool against Chelsea and against Newcastle last week, one thing that impressed me was just how good their crossing is. Not every cross found a Liverpool player, but Chelsea or Newcastle had to defend really well to get a flick or a block on the crosses coming in. Watching Chelsea's crossing at times this season, we sometimes make it easy for the defending team. The same goes for Man United yesterday; some of the crosses they put in against West Ham were so easy to defend. A lot of Liverpool's crosses are a true test for the side they are playing against. 

2 hours ago, Jordan La Cabra said:

Watching Liverpool against Chelsea and against Newcastle last week, one thing that impressed me was just how good their crossing is. Not every cross found a Liverpool player, but Chelsea or Newcastle had to defend really well to get a flick or a block on the crosses coming in. Watching Chelsea's crossing at times this season, we sometimes make it easy for the defending team. The same goes for Man United yesterday; some of the crosses they put in against West Ham were so easy to defend. A lot of Liverpool's crosses are a true test for the side they are playing against. 

City are the same. Neither side has tall forwards but the quality of the delivery is so good that their players don't need to be 6'4" in order to get on the end of things. United's delivery from wide areas and set pieces otoh is woeful - we have to be among the worst sides in the league at crosses and set plays and that's been the case for years. Even when we had big guys known to be strong in the air like Lukaku, Zlatan and Fellaini, our delivery was so bad that it rarely ever caused problems for the opposition.

3 hours ago, Raja said:

He should one hundred percent be taking Luiz's place. Luiz has been pretty woeful for us, and was terrible again yesterday.

Should and will are different things. Luiz was bought on Emery's watch so you never know, he might keep playing him.

Either way, Holding coming back in should result in some improvement, although not sure it will be enough.

There was a time when Chambers was being talked about as a future CB as well. When we get the first-choice FBs back I wonder if Chambers will come into consideration in the centre for some matches.

Maybe Emery should consider using a 3-5-2 once Bellerin, Tierney and Holding return - If I'm not mistaken he has used that formation before at Arsenal. A back three of Sokratis, Luiz and Holding with Tierney and Bellerin as wingbacks. Luiz also performs better in a back 3 and his distribution and ability to bring the ball out of defence are valuable skills in Emery's system. 

eta. Auba and Lacazette will also be in their favoured positions up front rather than Auba being shunted out wide. Nicolas Pepe as a forward option off the bench until he settles in.

8 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Maybe Emery should consider using a 3-5-2 once Bellerin, Tierney and Holding return - If I'm not mistaken he has used that formation before at Arsenal. A back three of Sokratis, Luiz and Holding with Tierney and Bellerin as wingbacks. Luiz also performs better in a back 3 and his distribution and ability to bring the ball out of defence are valuable skills in Emery's system. 

eta. Auba and Lacazette will also be in their favoured positions up front rather than Auba being shunted out wide. Nicolas Pepe as a forward option off the bench until he settles in.

If you can count on Emery for one thing, it's for changing the system. It wouldn't surprise me if he played this formation at some point this season and multiple variations of it. Arsenal has no identity because the manager has no real identity, other than playing the ball out of the back with players who are mostly terrible on the ball.

United vs Arsenal next week should be fun.  Neither side is really convincing but they'd both love to beat a rival and reassure supporters.  For Arsenal, it's a good time to face United with all of their strikers injured.  For United, it will really help them to play against an attacking opponent with a slow and porous defense to counter-attack.

I just hope Solksjaer still has his job for Liverpool's upcoming game against United.  

Archived