Football: same old, same old

A Horse Named Stranger

Just now, Iskaral Pust said:

United vs Arsenal next week should be fun.  Neither side is really convincing but they'd both love to beat a rival and reassure supporters.  For Arsenal, it's a good time to face United with all of their strikers injured.  For United, it will really help them to play against an attacking opponent with a slow and porous defense to counter-attack.

I just hope Solksjaer still has his job for Liverpool's upcoming game against United.  

I hate Monday games with a passion.

18 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I just hope Solksjaer still has his job for Liverpool's upcoming game against United.  

Not likely to make a difference. New manager or not, there still won't be a Lukaku replacement. However it's still derby, so even if Liverpool is the stronger team, that doesn't mean they'll get their horsepower on the pitch, or that United won't just push back as hard as they could.

Great stuff from Klopp after winning FIFA Best Manager - https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-fc

So then I realised, Wait, when did Rocky IV come out, 1980-something? When were these boys born?

Finally, I said, “Wait a minute, boys. Please raise your hand if you know who is Rocky Balboa?”

Only two hands went up. Sebastian Kehl and Patrick Owomoyela.

Everyone else, “Nope, sorry, boss.”

My entire speech — nonsense! This is the most important match of the season. Maybe the most important match of some of the players’ lives. And the manager has been screaming about Soviet technology and Siberia for the last 10 minutes! Hahahaha! Can you believe this?

New Balance trying to block Liverpool’s mammoth new Nike kit deal

Kit suppliers New Balance are not ready to cut ties with Liverpool and are set to take the club to the High Court in an effort to block their mammoth new deal with Nike.

According to reports, Liverpool have agreed a club-record kit deal worth £70m per season with sports giants Nike – a £25m increase on what they currently receive.

However, The Athletic report that New Balance believe they have a right to match Nike’s offer and want to extend their relationship beyond the end of the 2019-20 season.

Sometimes people ask me why I am always smiling. Even after we lose a match, sometimes I’m still smiling. It’s because when my son was born, I realised that football is not life or death. We’re not saving lives. Football is not something that should spread misery and hatred. Football should be about inspiration and joy, especially for children.

This was my favourite bit from the players tribune piece. 

29 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Tierney looked good against Nottingham Forest. Could be because it's Forest but either way, for his first game with the Senior team, he looked damn good.

He played well and Bellerin got some minutes too. Thank jeebus those two are getting fit!

30 minutes ago, Joey Crows said:

He played well and Bellerin got some minutes too. Thank jeebus those two are getting fit!

Same with Holding. Also Chambers looked class. Think he'd be a better fit for the Xhaka role than Xhaka. He was awesome at it with Fulham.

11 hours ago, Mexal said:

Same with Holding. Also Chambers looked class. Think he'd be a better fit for the Xhaka role than Xhaka. He was awesome at it with Fulham.

I dunno man, I don't think Chambers is at it technically to play as a CM. I think he would be pretty bad in that position, especially when pressed, which will happen a lot in an arsenal midfield. I hope we don't try it, I'd like to move away from the type of immobility that chambers & xhaka share.

Would be happy to see Chambers replace Luiz in the defense against United though ( assuming Holding doesn't start)

Also, it's a pity Holding & Bellerin have been unfit at the same time. Feel like one of them would be club captain if they were fit.

2 hours ago, Raja said:

I dunno man, I don't think Chambers is at it technically to play as a CM. I think he would be pretty bad in that position, especially when pressed, which will happen a lot in an arsenal midfield. I hope we don't try it, I'd like to move away from the type of immobility that chambers & xhaka share.

Would be happy to see Chambers replace Luiz in the defense against United though ( assuming Holding doesn't start)

Also, it's a pity Holding & Bellerin have been unfit at the same time. Feel like one of them would be club captain if they were fit.

I mean, Chambers was Fulham's player of the year at CM. Anyway, just want to get him on the field. 

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

I mean, Chambers was Fulham's player of the year at CM. Anyway, just want to get him on the field. 

Yeah - but that isn't that much of a ringing endorsement, imo, especially as he played more than just CM & they were relegated and were generally awful & it's a far cry from the level needed in our midfield. I'd rather us try and make Guendouzi, Ceballos, Torriera or Willock work.

I worry for him at RB, especially against United and more so if it's against James. AMN might not be any better so I guess I wouldn't be too opposed.

Romero, Wan Bissaka, Tuanzebe, Jones, Rojo, Fred, Pogba, Andreas Pereira, Lingard, Chong, Greenwood.

Our starting lineup against Rochdale is a weird mix. Wan Bissaka in particular I find strange (obviously Pogba is there to get minutes). 

I hope to see Chong give us a better demo of what he's about, because I've heard so much about him from people who watch the youth but so far in the first team he's mostly just enthusiasm, and too much of it at times. His last game there were a few really nice touches and he'll need more of those.

We've been refusing to finish against Rochdale, but just like last week in the EL, we're struggling to get the chances to fall to Greenwood, the finisher-in-residence. I think that's a team cohesion issue rather than an issue with his movement specifically, but it could be a concern going forward.

Chong's movement, on the other hand, is definitely a issue. I never like to talk shit about young players but he's constantly out of position, chasing after the ball when he should be staying wide then staying wide and standing still when he should be cutting in to offer himself for a pass. Been repeatedly about three yards inside of where he needs to be to block an opposing runner when on defensive duties too. I really hope it's just nerves.

Harvey Elliott genuinely was pretty good for Liverpool, especially for a 16 year old. There's certainly some promise there. Curtis Jones was good too, he was actually awarded man of the match, but I do feel he lacks a clear cut position which might end up being to his detriment. 

Of the experienced players I thought Lallana had the best game. He's actually quite good at the sort of Jorginho base of midfield keep the ball moving role but you'd think he'd get exposed against better sides. Lovren didn't do a lot to push his case for getting back a starting role.

Archived