Football: same old, same old

A Horse Named Stranger

6 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

a great manager from a direct rival suddenly fall into their lap.

Poch is very good no doubt but he just lacks that winning mentality that defines the greats. We can commend Spurs for their scouting system which helped assemble this team and Poch for his coaching to get the best out of them but at the end of the day, with the team Spurs have had over the past 5 years, a great manager would have actually won something. 

I wouldn't mind Poch at United since he is a very good coach and this United team looks to be poorly coached. In fact LVG was the only good coach we've had since Ferguson retired - he was just beyond shit at identifying the right players to fit the system he wanted to play. 

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

There's still no sporting director at United.

There's never going to be a Sporting Director (at least not one with any real power) at United as long as Woodward is CEO and as long as he keeps bringing in the money, the Glazers will give him carte blanche to run the club. Even if a DoF is appointed, he will only serve in an advisory capacity. You see, Woodward wants to be like Florentino Perez.

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Poch is very good no doubt but he just lacks that winning mentality that defines the greats. We can commend Spurs for their scouting system which helped assemble this team and Poch for his coaching to get the best out of them but at the end of the day, with the team Spurs have had over the past 5 years, a great manager would have actually won something. 

I wouldn't mind Poch at United since he is a very good coach and this United team looks to be poorly coached. In fact LVG was the only good coach we've had since Ferguson retired - he was just beyond shit at identifying the right players to fit the system he wanted to play. 

There's never going to be a Sporting Director (at least not one with any real power) at United as long as Woodward is CEO and as long as he keeps bringing in the money, the Glazers will give him carte blanche to run the club. Even if a DoF is appointed, he will only serve in an advisory capacity. You see, Woodward wants to be like Florentino Perez.

This Spurs side has certainly missed the boat when it comes to winning silverware. The Leicester City miracle year was their best chance at winning the prem as all the other top teams were in flux. Can’t see it happening now.

But how much responsibility can be aimed at Poch for not winning? He managed to create a great team that was much better than the one he started with, I think him getting that close to winning is a huge achievement in itself. It’s harsh to say he doesn’t have winning mentality when he’s performed so far above expectations.

I think there have been some pretty poor recruitment choices that have meant he doesn’t have the side he wants and clearly he’s been frustrated. 

Ironically he’ll only end up with the same problems should he decide to go to United

6 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

West Ham have quietly become a really good footballing side. Cracking goal they just scored with Yarmolenko set up by Haller.

Pellegrini endured a rough start at West Ham (the terrible injury list didn't help) but it was apparent last season that he  was turning them into a good footballing side. That's why I tipped them, along with Leicester and Everton, as the teams most likely to break into the top 6 this season - United are the side most likely to drop out.  

Whether any of these side can actually sustain a top 6 placing is another story however. Participation in Europe usually fucks them up. 

9 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

This Spurs side has certainly missed the boat when it comes to winning silverware. The Leicester City miracle year was their best chance at winning the prem as all the other top teams were in flux. Can’t see it happening now.

But how much responsibility can be aimed at Poch for not winning? He managed to create a great team that was much better than the one he started with, I think him getting that close to winning is a huge achievement in itself. It’s harsh to say he doesn’t have winning mentality when he’s performed so far above expectations.

I think there have been some pretty poor recruitment choices that have meant he doesn’t have the side he wants and clearly he’s been frustrated. 

Ironically he’ll only end up with the same problems should he decide to go to United

Well, I mean some blame has to go to the manager. Poch gets too much of a free pass for not winning anything imo. He's had a better squad than United since going to Spurs yet United have still won more in our banter era. At the end of the day, while Poch is very good, I don't consider him great. Klopp didn't have oodles of money nor a big squad at Dortmund yet he built up that squad and took them to two league titles + German Cup + CL final. He took over a worse Liverpool side than what Poch had at Spurs and built them up to be European champions. That's the sign of a "great" manager. 

Nah, I think this was simply a very good freekick. Nice spin, bounces off a few yards before the goal, and hit right the goal right next to the post. Great goalkeeper on a good day gets a hand to the ball and might turn it around the post, or tip it wide. But I don't think you can actually fault Pickford there.

You can rather fault Calvert-Lewin for not putting that one away. Or Mina and again Lewin for not scoring after that corner. But Everton are really giving it all today. City are just a better team footballing wise (and water is wet).

Ok that's curtains now.

That should be that now. Everton have played well and Coleman in particular has been immense. This is a big win for City as Everton at home are a very different proposition. Everton had their chances (and so did City) but the difference is City will dominate possession and create a bucket load of chances so the opposition has to be efficient in front of goal which Everton weren't. 

Bah.

We're a lot better against better teams, because we can lie deeper and leave less space behind our oil tankers Keane and Mina. And with Iwobi, Richarlison, our fullbacks (plus DCL/Kean) we have speed on the counter. Plus there is actually technique there - we pass well.

What we struggle with, mightyli, is when we run a game, but teams defend deep. When we need to break down stubborn opposition, we look less than ordinary. Countering against a good team, and we look good. 

(That said, City were better than us today.)

Archived