Football: same old, same old

A Horse Named Stranger

Great opportunity for Arsenal here. Alderweireld at RB should be a good area to exploit. Ndombele injured and Lo Celso on the bench leaves the midfield lacking creativity + the issues with Eriksen as well as Vertonghen and Alderweirled's contracts expiring at the end of the season which Poch himself said has lead to the squad being unsettled. 

ETA. Everton/Wolves has been a good game. As I expected, EL exertions have impacted Wolves and they haven't made a great start to the season. I doubt they finish above either Everton or Leicester this season. 

28 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

ETA. Everton/Wolves has been a good game. As I expected, EL exertions have impacted Wolves and they haven't made a great start to the season. I doubt they finish above either Everton or Leicester this season. 

EL is a curse for an aspiring team, especially when it requires the qualifying rounds too.  Wolves have a bigger squad than the Burnley side that struggled to balance EL and PL, but not enough bigger to really matter so far. 

But it’s really hard to avoid this trap.  The players and fans grind their way through years of the same domestic games, until a high league finish is rewarded with the opportunity for a new adventure.  You can’t not embrace that adventure, even if you know it’s a poisoned chalice. 

It’s only four games into the season, United and Chelsea have the same amount of points, United have much better goal difference, and United (somewhat fortunately) smashed Chelsea on the opening day.  And yet it already feels like Solskjaer’s job is much less safe than Lampard’s.  Mainly because Lampard is earlier in his honeymoon period with the fans, and because it’s the homegrown youth players that are playing well so far.

Lots can change for either team, especially once they’re playing European games each week.  There’s potential for either to hit on a line-up and style that works, although neither looks great at coaching tactics so far.

Good way to end the half. Pre-match was hoping for 3 points against a Tottenham side that hasn't been performing well recently, but I guess I'll take 1 point if we can get it.

50 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

It’s only four games into the season, United and Chelsea have the same amount of points, United have much better goal difference, and United (somewhat fortunately) smashed Chelsea on the opening day.  And yet it already feels like Solskjaer’s job is much less safe than Lampard’s.  Mainly because Lampard is earlier in his honeymoon period with the fans, and because it’s the homegrown youth players that are playing well so far.

Lots can change for either team, especially once they’re playing European games each week.  There’s potential for either to hit on a line-up and style that works, although neither looks great at coaching tactics so far.

Re: Solskjaer. I think he generally starts off with the right tactics but his in game management is quite poor. He leaves substitutions very late and seems to have no answer when the opposition makes tactical tweaks. Also, he's starting to strike me as a 'yes man' who thanks Woodward for feeding him shit. If he's really content with the squad then he has just sabotaged himself.

Just look at our last two games when we were chasing a goal - against Palace our best options off the bench was Mata and Greenwood and against Southampton it was Lingard and Greenwood. Midtable clubs have better options than that. Not prioritising the need to replace Herrera, Fellaini and Lukaku was criminally amateurish. 

Archived