Football: same old, same old

A Horse Named Stranger

11 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

How can you sell Lukaku and not bring in a striker. 
Wonder who will last longer between Valverde and OGS

Valverde should be okay once Messi returns to full fitness and resumes carrying the club. 

Solskjaer isn't going to last long but the big issue is that whoever replaces him will have the same problem of there being a serious lack of goal scoring ability in the squad and a paper thin midfield. Shafting Lukaku in favour of Rashford was a laughably bad decision and one that Solskjaer is going to pay for with his job. 

I see my beloved Arsenal have conceded seven shots on goal in the first half hour and are trailing a relegation-zoned Villa by a goal.

On a day when our closest rivals, Chelsea and United, have also lost (or look like losing). Very Arsenal of us.

At this point, Leicester and West Ham might as well book those CL spots. It looks like us big clubs don't really want them...

EDIT: And we're now down to 10 men, as well. Hurrah.

18 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Two great set pieces so far, and a marginal offside decision.

Wijnaldum has still offered bugger all though, so I wasn't completely wrong!

Trent great going forward but he needs to thank Matip for getting him out of a few tricky situations.

Salah needs to do better.He's trying too hard, just needs to pass it around more.

9 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Does anyone want to finish 3rd and 4th? 

Leicester and West Ham, clearly. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a new top 4 entrant this season with the persistent weaknesses that Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea and United are showing.

54 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Maybe Emery goes before either 

I think Emery is a whole lot safer than Solskjaer. Over the course of a season, the lethal combination of Auba and Lacazette (and possibly Pepe depending on how quickly he can settle) are going to win Arsenal a lot of points even if their play is not deserving of it.

United, otoh, only have Rashford and Martial neither of whom have ever hit the 20 goal mark. Solskjaer is also using a formation that utilises a #10 and we have two players (Mata and Lingard) who contribute fuck all in terms of goals and assists. This is shaping up to be like LVG's 2nd season where we only managed to score a paltry 49 goals.

I'd think Valverde is fairly safe. Messi's return to full fitness will be massive. In addition to that their main rivals, Atleti and Real, have been pretty poor as well. Barca are still favourites to win the league. 

Hopefully Liverpool can avoid relegation, it'd be a shame if such a strong rivalry got spoiled because their manager is such an idiot.

2 minutes ago, Raja said:

Guendouzi is a boss though. Took a lot of responsibility there.

Yeah he had a boss second half.

In the first half the young lad Saka was good too, I understand the decision to take him off and it didn't backfire but right now he looks better than Pepe.

Archived