Football: same old, same old

A Horse Named Stranger

Imagine needing penalties to beat Rochdale at home. 14 "big chances" created in our last 3 games and only 2 goals to show for it. Our players can't hit the broadside of a fucking barn. This is going to be worse than the David Moyes season. 

Eta. On the bright side, at least we didn't pull a Spurs. 

Drawing for the next round of the LC:

Everton v Watford

Aston Villa v Wolves

Manchester City v Southampton

Burton Albion v Leicester

Crawley Town v Colchester

Chelsea v Manchester United

Oxford United v Sunderland

Liverpool v Arsenal

A but fortunate there for Crawley, Colchester, Oxford and Sunderland to all avoid PL opposition.  Some relatively even match-ups there.  

I wonder if Liverpool and Arsenal will persist with the kids in the next round.  I hope so.

I love this Chelsea team. It's so much more enjoyable watching your team when you see it filled with players who have been there since they were kids and have worked hard to make it through the ranks to get their chance. 

I've been excited to see Reece James play in a competitive game for Chelsea for a long time, and it certainly didn't disappoint: one goal (a curler from outside the box) and two assists. He definitely has the more natural style of a modern FB compared to Azpilicueta. James will have to bide his time, but he will certainly get his chance in the league if he keeps playing like this when he gets a run out.

Marc Guehi looked very comfortable at the back. Obviously he didn't have loads to do, but even on the ball, he looked assured and mature. Hudson-Odoi coming back and scoring was great to see. I think what I like most about him is his ability to mix it up from LW; he can cut in on his favoured right, but he is also as adept at going down the outside on his left and playing a cross. His goal actually came from shifting onto his left and shooting.

Substitutes Tino Anjorin and Ian Maatsen both put in strong performances. It was the first time I had seen either play and now, having seen Anjorin, I see where the Loftus-Cheek comparisons come from; he seems to share that languid style with RLC. Maatsen looks every inch the modern FB, always looking to get forward - he must have covered some ground despite only coming on in the second half.

The main praise, though, is reserved for Billy Gilmour. 18 years of age and he totally bossed the midfield. Yes, he will rarely play a game for Chelsea where he gets as much time on the ball as he did last night, but he made the absolute best of the opportunity he had by keeping things moving in midfield by always being an option to pass to. Some of the passes he sprayed out wide were very Fabregas-esque, too.

Sigh. I mean, it was going to happen but still slightly disappointed.

I was hoping it would be something like when we made cesc captain and picked either bellerin or holding, but they're just coming back from injury so maybe it's tough. The thing is, it's become so much of an issue now, he should have announced this at the start of the season.

3 minutes ago, Raja said:

Do you think Silva will last this season?

Unsure. 

He had a major slump last season, and - like Koeman and Martinez - seemed to struggle to turn results around. He did manage in the end, however. So I think that if the team starts pulling out results, he will. But if they continue to deliver performances like against Villa and Sheffield U, he will be gone pretty soon.

Really poor management from Solskjaer. He says that Pogba was struggling but still chose to keep him on the field. This follows on from last season where he continued to play an injured Rashford as well as rushing Lingard back. I'm sure United fans would love Solskjaer to succeed but he's looking more out of his depth than Moyes with every passing week. The Norwegian league is his level.

There seems to be a media narrative now about Spurs stagnating and/or Pochettino having reached the end of the cycle with his Spurs team and not looking bothered about the rebuild ahead.  IMO that comes more from Levy than Pochettino — it’s not the manager’s fault that the club cannot or will not pay the requisite wages to retain the players he developed.  It seems pretty harsh and ungrateful, and I wouldn’t bet against Spurs rebounding a bit once their new MFs settle in. 

OTOH, if Pochettino is winding down his time at Spurs, I really hope he lands at Real Madrid rather than United.  Having stumbled through four terrible managerial appointments, they don’t deserve to have a great manager from a direct rival suddenly fall into their lap.

Everyone assumes Poch will head to Manchester United, whether it’s this season or next. But is he really a good fit for that situation? I’m not sure, legitimately asking. He’s an excellent manager to be sure. But his philosophy doesn’t seem to mesh with the players United currently have (high pressing etc.) and in the current climate signings are more so the realm of sporting directors, and we know the issues Spurs have had with bringing in new players. So what does he bring to a club like United that’s going to make an impact? Is it just another refresh?

Also, prediction for the United v Arsenal match here; Pogba returns to score a penalty after another David Luiz gaff and a ridiculously long run up, but Pepe gets on the score sheet in the run of play for the first time and Auba nets a beauty to go ahead. Then of course Daniel James beats Sokratis in the 87th to level. Tell me I’m wrong...

25 minutes ago, Joey Crows said:

Everyone assumes Poch will head to Manchester United, whether it’s this season or next. But is he really a good fit for that situation? I’m not sure, legitimately asking. He’s an excellent manager to be sure. But his philosophy doesn’t seem to mesh with the players United currently have (high pressing etc.) and in the current climate signings are more so the realm of sporting directors, and we know the issues Spurs have had with bringing in new players. So what does he bring to a club like United that’s going to make an impact? Is it just another refresh?

There's still no sporting director at United. So Poch gets to do some shopping I presume. And it wouldn't be United anymore, if they started to sign a manager with a longterm playing philosophy in mind, instead of the biggest name that couldn't hide fast enough.

I mean after Ferguson they went to Moyes, from there they went to posession football under LvG, then came I park the bus and like strong physical players Mourinho, to Solskjaer who presumably wants to play a higher press with a more attacking brand of football (at least I assume that was his idea). So they might as well go for Poch for two year before trying something completely different again.

Yeah we're not super-ready for a high press but one benefit of Solskjaer is that he's getting the team ready for that idea. And you'd also hope that Poch has better ideas for how to get the fitness up to standard all round.

It's really only a couple of players that are completely unsuitable for it.

And yeah it's sad to say but it seems increasingly obvious that Solskjaer isn't of the level for this. He might make a good assistant but he's simply far too hesitant to make changes on both a small (subs and tactical switches) and grand (transfers, adapting the style to the squad) scale to be the big boss for us. Like I do appreciate that he's clearly told the team in recent games that since we don't have the fitness to go 100% for the full 90, we should start off more measured and ramp up the energy in the second half rather than blowing our tops early, but why did this take him that long to figure out?

That said, any manager is going to have problems with the forward line we have at the moment.

Speaking of Manchester United, I heard a bit on a podcast recently that referenced the notion that many people in the US who have only started following football in the last decade don’t know that United used to always put out a world class squad. Now I’m normally not a fan of the idea that I’m older than someone’s target audience, but for some reason that thought made me happy. When I first paid attention to the English league they were competing with Arsenal for best EPL team and competing with no one for popularity...

Archived