Football: same old, same old

A Horse Named Stranger

10 hours ago, Consigliere said:

The Netherlands have blown Germany away in the 2nd half. 

Most hillarious bit was the penalty and the VAR inactivity on that.

Basically what happened. Germany play an attack, but are offside (unnoticed by the onfield officials) Dutch player (de Ligt I think) applies to the referee, and the ball strikes his arm. Penalty.

Note, if Germany had scored a goal directly from that move, then the VAR would have stepped in and called the offside. Here he remained silent. The Dutch players were justifiably fuming over that. They deservedly won the match in the end, but had Germany escaped with a draw thanks to this penalty gift, I think they would have had some choice words for the VAR.

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Most hillarious bit was the penalty and the VAR inactivity on that.

Basically what happened. Germany play an attack, but are offside (unnoticed by the onfield officials) Dutch player (de Ligt I think) applies to the referee, and the ball strikes his arm. Penalty.

Note, if Germany had scored a goal directly from that move, then the VAR would have stepped in and called the offside. Here he remained silent. The Dutch players were justifiably fuming over that. They deservedly won the match in the end, but had Germany escaped with a draw thanks to this penalty gift, I think they would have had some choice words for the VAR.

I thought it was a very tight offside and that the linesmen weren't particularly guilty of not calling it immediately. In the end they are human beings and I think the German attacker was on the same line as the Dutch defenders. IMHO those cases should always benefit to the attacking side.

Regarding the handball, where on earth do you wave at the referee while the ball is still at play? I know it happens frequently but it shouldn't. Players sometimes get booked for stopping the ball with their hands when fouled. It's the same thing for players talking to the ref before he whistles. They simply don't have to do that. 

Sacking your manager four games into the season makes zero sense. How badly could he have messed up in four matches to deserve a sack? And if you meant to replace him earlier, why not do it in the summer and give the new manager a chance to get to know the squad and have a say about the new signings. It's insane.

8 hours ago, baxus said:

And if you meant to replace him earlier, why not do it in the summer and give the new manager a chance to get to know the squad

Well, to be fair, the new manager knows most of the squad already.

But yeah. Watford's owners have always been ruthless. This one is particularly odd though and makes me think something went on behind the scenes to cause it.

Yeah, Watford's owners are very quick to sack managers so this should hardly be that surprising. Jokanovic got them promoted and was sacked, Sanchez Flores and Gracia guided the club to comfortable midtable finishes and an FA Cup semi final and final respectively but both were sacked anyway. Really, since gaining promotion the only managerial sackings that actually made some sense were Mazzari who narrowly managed to avoid relegation and Marco Silva who got his head turned by Everton. 

14 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Yeah, Watford's owners are very quick to sack managers so this should hardly be that surprising. Jokanovic got them promoted and was sacked, Sanchez Flores and Gracia guided the club to comfortable midtable finishes and an FA Cup semi final and final respectively but both were sacked anyway. Really, since gaining promotion the only managerial sackings that actually made some sense were Mazzari who narrowly managed to avoid relegation and Marco Silva who got his head turned by Everton. 

...and who can blame him for that?

At long last Sterling is producing performances for England the way he does for City.

I'd like to see Southgate bring on Gomez and Maddison/Mount for Keane and Barkley respectively. 

ETA. Kosovo have been brave in how they are trying to play but really they've created nothing of note. The goal was a result of unforced errors - a poor pass by Barkley and an even worse attempt at a pass by Keane. 

Now that is a big surprise. Marcelino was doing a great job at Valencia and under difficult circumstances given their financial situation. Got the club into the CL in two out of his three seasons and led them to their first trophy in a decade last season beating Barca in the Copa del Rey final. They didn't even make that bad of a start in the league this season either. 

Archived