Football: same old, same old

A Horse Named Stranger

9 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Brilliant counter-attacking football from Norwich. They also defended extremely well which was surprising seeing as how it looked like this team would leak goals. They did a great job at keeping City out of the box which resulted in City having to resort to lumping in crosses.

Looking at how poor City were defensively, Laporte's long term injury could be a major problem for them. With Kompany released as well, that just leaves them with Stones and Otamendi as the only senior CBs in the squad. Guardiola will probably resort to using Fernandinho at CB. 

Inb4 City buy Koulibaly in Jan or maybe a cheeky Alderweireld

1 minute ago, Mark Antony said:

Inb4 City buy Koulibaly in Jan or maybe a cheeky Alderweireld

Alderweireld could be a real possibility but I'm not so sure on Koulibaly unless City are prepared to drop around €150m (apparently De Laurentiis isn't prepared to listen to offers below his release clause). 

Just now, A Horse Named Stranger said:

CL aligibility will probably remove Alderweireld. Maybe Boateng.

This is no longer an issue with the new rules that came into effect last season. 

• Regarding the registration of players after a group stage of the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, a club may register three new eligible players without any restrictions. This is in line with the existing regulatory situation in the different domestic leagues, which does not impose restrictions on the eligibility for competitions of players registered for a new club during the winter transfer window.

58 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

That's why I think Guardiola will bin one of Stones or Otamendi in favour of Fernandinho - think he's done that before. Also just read that Norwich have 10 players out injured which makes this victory even better. 

11 I think it was. Four starters.

What a game by Chelsea today. They needed this badly. Tammy continues to score, Mount added one on, and Tomori with an insane goal. Frank Lampard plus transfer ban has really been a blessing in disguise so far this season. Mourinho, Conte, Sarri aren't playing any of these Chelsea academy players, but Lampard, obv being English and younger, gets these young guys and has no choice but to give them a chance and they're playing superbly well right now. The formation today incorporating the wing backs was interesting as we've also run a 4-3-3 and a 4-2-3-1 so far this season. Preferably Emerson is at left wing back but with him injured during the break, Alonso slid in well to his old spot of glory. Tomori shows a lot of composure on the back line as a young guy, and nice to see Rudiger back even though he picked up a minor injury. When Kante back, I'm guessing he takes Kovacic off the field, and CHO in for Willian, this may be the most promising formation we can put on the field. Lot of talk about Reece James but I'm not ready to but Azpi on the bench just yet. Chill out. 

Big week ahead with Valencia on Tuesday for CL and Liverpool next Sunday.

Come on Chelsea.

Since we were discussing possible CB signings for City, this game has reminded me about the most obvious choice - Nathan Ake. Would be a more sensible signing than either Alderweireld or Koulibaly in January. Laporte is a top player and clearly first choice for that LCB slot so it makes no sense to pay big wages to a 31 y/o Alderweireld (plus Levy would surely demand an unreasonable fee for him from a league rival) or big wages + world record transfer fee for Koulibaly. If Otamendi leaves at the end of the season as well then Alderweireld could be a good option on a free transfer. 

I think the season so far for Arsenal is playing out pretty much as most people expected. Their front 3 is top class resulting in some quality forward play but defensively they are having a mare - anyone who seriously thought that David Luiz would be a major upgrade on Mustafi were just kidding themselves. In saying that, Arsenal's defence has been even more open that I thought they would be. Just saw a stat that Arsenal have conceded 96 attempts at goal so far this season - more than any other side in Europe's top 5 leagues. 

45 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I think the season so far for Arsenal is playing out pretty much as most people expected. Their front 3 is top class resulting in some quality forward play but defensively they are having a mare - anyone who seriously thought that David Luiz would be a major upgrade on Mustafi were just kidding themselves. In saying that, Arsenal's defence has been even more open that I thought they would be. Just saw a stat that Arsenal have conceded 96 attempts at goal so far this season - more than any other side in Europe's top 5 leagues. 

Their defense sucks but their system plus their inability to control the ball in the midfield is what makes this team so mediocre. You don't give up 30 shots a game because your back 4 is bad.

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

Their defense sucks but their system plus their inability to control the ball in the midfield is what makes this team so mediocre. You don't give up 30 shots a game because your back 4 is bad.

Yes, their whole orientation is unbalanced.  It’s not just that they play with three forwards who don’t defend, it’s that they don’t have a midfield shield or a possession metronome, their FBs get forward (and both are back-up FBs now) and their CBs play a high line without a ton of pace, plus they play out from the back without reliable interplay patterns.  Their whole system is prone to give up chances.  OTOH, it tempts their opponents to attack and be vulnerable themselves to counterattacks.  This is rope-a-dope football, but probably unintentionally. 

Why is Torreira on the bench behind Xhaka and Guendouzi?  Was he late back from internationals?

34 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Yes, their whole orientation is unbalanced.  It’s not just that they play with three forwards who don’t defend, it’s that they don’t have a midfield shield or a possession metronome, their FBs get forward (and both are back-up FBs now) and their CBs play a high line without a ton of pace, plus they play out from the back without reliable interplay patterns.  Their whole system is prone to give up chances.  OTOH, it tempts their opponents to attack and be vulnerable themselves to counterattacks.  This is rope-a-dope football, but probably unintentionally. 

Why is Torreira on the bench behind Xhaka and Guendouzi?  Was he late back from internationals?

Emery rates Xhaka and Guendouzi more than Torreira.

Archived