Sign in to follow this  
A Horse Named Stranger

Football: same old, same old

14 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

He was great in Europa league for Sevilla. That can’t be denied but I don’t think he ever got top four with them.

Didn't he get Sevilla to CL on multiple occasions but failed to get them to the knockout stages so they ended up in Europa League? Or is my memory playing tricks on me?

9 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Refs are definitely conspiring against Liverpool, that's why they had the least cards or amongst it last season despite being one of the dirtiest teams.

I'd like to see the stats to support this claim. Having seen most Liverpool games last season I didn't get this impression, even with supporter bias aside.

Napoli could be tough to beat in the knockouts. Not too much different than last year but Manolas makes their defense a bit more solid. Him and Koulibaly were awesome. 

On the Liverpool side I don’t think Milner and Hendo really work all that well together when they start in the center of midfield. Wish Naby was healthy, sucks he hasn’t really had a long stretch of games to show his quality.

The one area of the City squad that lacks depth is getting hit by injury. Reports that Stones picked up an injury in training yesterday and is expected to be out for 4-5 weeks. So that just leaves Otamendi as the only recognised CB in the squad. 

The Laporte injury can be viewed as unlucky, but Stones spends a few months out every season it seems. It looks like Fernandinho and the young guys they've got will be getting a run out at some point then.

It’s funny that a year ago Fernandinho was considered the key-man risk for City, the aging crucial player in their system for whom they had no back-up.  Then he missed a lot of games in the second half of the season but it went unnoticed as City went on a relentless winning streak to the title. And now he has been replaced by Rodri as a brand new signing with no bedding-in period needed at all. 

I don’t have any profound point here, just funny how quickly his situation changed. 

Real Madrid were rubbish and got played off the park. Luckily for Real, PSG were without their first choice front three otherwise this would have ended in a very embarrassing scoreline. 

Some interesting results tonight. Obviously there's Real losing to PSG but I was thought Atalanta might be decent this year and they got spanked by Dinamo Zagreb, Leverkusen lost to Lokomotiv Moscow too.

11 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Real Madrid were rubbish and got played off the park. Luckily for Real, PSG were without their first choice front three otherwise this would have ended in a very embarrassing scoreline. 

As rubbish as Real Madrid were, I was impressed by how PSG stepped it up without who you would probably consider to be their three best players in Neymar, Mbappe and Cavani. 

What was interesting from Real Madrid's perspective, though, was that Bale was one of their better performers. Considering all the talk of Zidane wanting him to be sold in the summer, he seems to have started the season in decent form.

11 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Some interesting results tonight. Obviously there's Real losing to PSG but I was thought Atalanta might be decent this year and they got spanked by Dinamo Zagreb, Leverkusen lost to Lokomotiv Moscow too.

Dinamo Zagreb became a far more effective sports club from the moment their mafia-style leader had to flee the country cause of lawsuits by the state against him(he does claim, as do higher ups in the club, that he's still managing things from afar, but his presence at the club made it far more morose than the player quality in the past should have made it) and they got their current manager a bit more than a year ago, alongside very good player selection. With the best infrastructure in the country(and even ex-Yugoslavia region), they've finally started playing up to the potential their team has always had. I don't predict they can beat City, or anything close to it, but they could get a draw at home, and could certainly get 2nd place in the group if they keep this level of play up.

It also helps that one of the best talents that was raised in La Masia in Dani Olmo went to Dinamo five years ago and now made a name for himself. Dinamo even rejected offers up to 40 mil. € for him during the summer transfer window. If he keeps being their best player at this stage, he'll sell for even more.

4 hours ago, Jordan La Cabra said:

What was interesting from Real Madrid's perspective, though, was that Bale was one of their better performers. Considering all the talk of Zidane wanting him to be sold in the summer, he seems to have started the season in decent form.

Bale and Rodriguez have started the season decently enough. The problem for Real is that there has been very little team cohesion thus far with players looking like they lack motivation and are just playing for themselves (Bale and Rodriguez just happen to have put in the better individual performances). The link up play between their front 3 has been poor (really it's only Benzema who has looked capable of linking up well with other players), the midfield has been atrocious and is constantly getting overrun even by lesser teams and their defence has been leaking goals for over two seasons except now there is no Ronaldo to paper over the cracks with 40+ goals a season. 

Zidane has a huge task on his hands but I don't think he's going to be given the time with an ultra impatient and demanding fanbase + a trigger happy president who has different ideas on transfers. 

Edited by Consigliere

Calling this Liverpool team "one of the dirtiest teams around" is a bit rich. Same with "all the penalties Salah got by diving". 

James sure seems to be doing his utmost to stake his claim as the undisputed diving champion. Tom Daley, watch out.

Didn't get to watch the Napoli game, but from the highlights, that was a very dubious penalty indeed. But if I had to pick one game out of our opening two months to lose, this would have been it. Imperative that we keep up the pressure on an injury-ravaged City at the weekend by beating Chelsea. Hopefully a desperate Watford will be encouraged by their comeback against Arsenal and pounce on City's weakened defence.

7 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Didn't see the first half. 

United aren't really all that in the second so far.

Aged well. 

Rashford is hopeless. The decision to rely on him at CF this season is going to end so badly. His finishing and decision making is terrible. A better CF and this would have been a comfortable 4 or 5 nil win. Lukaku would've probably gotten a hattrick in this game. 

Nothing from our resident gooners on a rather impressive 0-3 away victory over Eintracht Frankfurt?

Goals by starlets Willock and Saka?

13 minutes ago, Mme Erzulie said:

Nothing from our resident gooners on a rather impressive 0-3 away victory over Eintracht Frankfurt?

Goals by starlets Willock and Saka?

Saka was exciting, Willock was solid and Emi Martinez played really well. Other than that, they were fine. Gave up 26 shots, which I guess is better than 31 by Watford and were lucky to keep a clean sheet. If Frankfurt had the front line from last season, would have been bad.

^^ I don’t know about the other more knowledgeable supporters but I’m still fuming about the pack of donuts that we have in central defense. I knew they should have kept Monreal for one more season. 

Also, why isn’t Torreira starting?

4 minutes ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

^^ I don’t know about the other more knowledgeable supporters but I’m still fuming about the pack of donuts that we have in central defense. I knew they should have kept Monreal for one more season. 

Also, why isn’t Torreira starting?

Emery doesn't like that he's short (not sure if this is true but feels true given his preferences). The CBs do suck but the issue for me is the poor positioning of the midfield and the inability to win the ball back or control the ball when pressured which allows the opposing team to run at the CBs constantly and in space.

I see that Wolves lost at home to Braga. The season is starting to get into shambolic territory for Wolves. I thought they would struggle to contend with European games but I didn't expect them to be struggling this much.

Also remain bitterly disappointed that we didn't get a group of Wolves, Wolfsburg and Wolfsberger.