Will ADOS Be Entirely Dedicated To The Others?

Brandon Ice-Eyes

18 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:
19 hours ago, Megorova said:

There was no Jon's POV in ACOK

Huh? Now I am certain of it, we have read entirely different books! :cheers:

I was reading ASOIAF not in order it was written. I have read all chapters with Jon's POV in all books, then all chapters with Dany's POV, etc. So, I don't remember which event happened in which book. Whether this or that event happened in AGOT, or in ACOK, or in one of other books. I do remember, that in one of those books there was no Jon's POV. So, it was in AFFC, not in ACOK.

17 hours ago, Lady Dacey said:

Your posts would be much more pleasant and easy to read if you tried to use the comma with a little extra care. It's really distracting when my mind keeps stopping mid-sentance in weird places, and I often feel discouraged to read through your long and funny musings because of it.

Can you give me an example? Where exactly am I placing comas, where there shouldn't be any comas?

10 hours ago, Foot_Of_The_King said:

It might just be me but I think that would suck fun out of the books. Like every reader, I’ve always been intrigued by this supernatural force “just over the horizon” but what I LOVE is the more grounded political aspect of the books. It seems like the war with the Others would be the natural climax but I really hope there’s a more human twist to things. If that makes any sense. 

I think it's certainly possible that we're going to see a lot less White Walkers and Wights than people are expecting, but not sure. I could see the possibility that we might get something like double the amount in ASOS (which has the most), but that still only provides a backdrop for what's happening with the political and personal. Much like many zombie films/stories, the supernatural frames the conflict, it doesn't always dominate it.

1 minute ago, Megorova said:

I was reading ASOIAF not in order it was written. I have read all chapters with Jon's POV in all books, then all chapters with Dany's POV, etc. So, I don't remember which event happened in which book. Whether this or that event happened in AGOT, or in ACOK, or in one of other books. I do remember, that in one of those books there was no Jon's POV. So, it was in AFFC, not in ACOK.

Gotcha. Yup, no Jon chapters in AFfC.

1 minute ago, Megorova said:

Can you give me an example? Where exactly am I placing comas, where there shouldn't be any comas?

Here, for instance. :)

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Here, for instance. :)

3 hours ago, Megorova said:

Where exactly am I placing comas, where there shouldn't be any comas?

I'm not sure if this sentance is you mocking me or if it's a genuine example of what I pointed out. 

On 9/2/2019 at 12:37 PM, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

Pretty much as the title says, do you think that ADOS will be entirely dedicated to the others or will there still be political intrigue going on in the south with (f?)Aegon and Cersei and The Martells etc. 

I'd like it if the two just merged together - if the others (or ?) could use their mind-bending powers to take over key players and wreak havoc (this could have already happened with Euron).

I've got a feeling that native Other culture is not something readers could tolerate for very long. There's not a lot to do in always winter, so I think they spend a lot of time in their own heads, like the Undying of Qarth  To spell it out, I think the Undying imagine themselves as the sparkly wizards and kings in their second-to-last room. It's basically Sansa's dream world. There could be whole chapters of it. :D

54 minutes ago, Lady Dacey said:

I'm not sure if this sentance is you mocking me or if it's a genuine example of what I pointed out. 

I'm not mocking you. Or anyone else.

Am I wrong about this? -> "Where exactly am I placing commas, where there shouldn't be any commas?" <- in this sentence, there should be a pause between "commas" and "where", and if there's a pause, then there should be a comma there, or some other sign of punctuation, such as "," or "-", or ":", or ";". Or that's wrong, and even though there are pause in there, there isn't supposed to be any signs of punctuation?

For example, the sentence that you wrote, I would have wrote it like this - "I'm not sure if this sentence is you mocking me, or if it's a genuine example of what I pointed out.", or even like this "I'm not sure, if this sentence is you mocking me, or if it's a genuine example, of what I pointed out."

And I'm not mocking you. I was studying English over 15 years ago, and it was very basic English, like translation of words, that are frequently used in everyday life, and building of simple sentences. Considering that since then all English practice that I have received was from watching movies and TV-series in English, my current level could have been much worse than it is.

I just used Google-Translator to translate my previous sentence, and if I was writing it the way I see it, then I would have wrote - "Considering that since then all English practice, that I have received, was from watching movies and TV-series in English, my current level could have been much worse, than it is." So it seems that I really am using commas where they are not needed. I'll try not to.

P.S. In a sentence that starts with "So" or "Also" or "Nevertheless" should there be a comma after it? Is there supposed to be a comma in a sentence after words such as "thus", "for example", "in my opinion", "I think"?

A Dream of Spring is not going to be dedicated to the North and the war on the Others.  I don't read the story that way.  The story is about the evil that men do.  It's about making the world a better place.  Obviously, man cannot be held responsible for an asteriod disaster.  This is about the human conflict with the heart.  The main players will have to decide to either do what needs doing or follow the heart instead.  I also believe this decision will happen in the big picture.  It's been small in scale so far.  The Starks betrayed the Freys and they got their asses kicked.  That is small time.  Sansa betrays the truth and Micah, Lady, Arya, and Nymeria paid the price for that lie.  Small stuff.  The next time that dilemma comes up, bet on the stakes being larger and greater.  

On 9/2/2019 at 7:37 AM, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

Pretty much as the title says, do you think that ADOS will be entirely dedicated to the others or will there still be political intrigue going on in the south with (f?)Aegon and Cersei and The Martells etc. 

Personally, i'd prefer for it to be entirely focused on The Others as i have always imagined ADOS as being a very grim and dark book showing a ruthless war of survival. I'd like to find out more about the COTF and Coldhands but i'd rather that the politics of the south be wrapped up by the end of WOW, save maybe Euron and Daenerys, who's arc could be an interesting side story in the south whilst everything happens up north.

What are your thoughts however?

Absolutely not.

While I totally agree that A Dream of Spring is going to be a grim and bleak tearjerker about the end of the world, the politics of what happens after the Others are vanquished or pacified is very important. Because the invasion of the Others is going to completely change the political landscape of Westeros. Since ASOIAF is such a raw political drama, it's only fair that we see the survivors cope with or change political landscape after the Others are taken care of.

House Martell and the Dornish are not in a position to be wiped off the face of the map in The Winds of Winter. If anything, they are becoming more important than the Lannisters.

And Dorne has been the one area of Westeros that has been left untouched for a reason.

I think we are going to learn more about the CoTF, Coldhands, the old gods and the Others. But those will likely happen in the POV chapters of Bran and Sam.

Because even if the Others, Littlefinger, Cersei, Varys and Euron both are no longer a problem by Act 4, you still have to find a new king and reorganize Westeros in Act 5.

And for the record, I still believe Roose Bolton will be an antagonist in A Dream of Spring. Ramsay will die but Roose may play his cards right and escape so that he can fight another day.

On 9/3/2019 at 5:11 PM, Anti-Stark said:

A Dream of Spring is not going to be dedicated to the North and the war on the Others.  I don't read the story that way.  The story is about the evil that men do.  It's about making the world a better place.  Obviously, man cannot be held responsible for an asteriod disaster.  This is about the human conflict with the heart.  The main players will have to decide to either do what needs doing or follow the heart instead.  I also believe this decision will happen in the big picture.  It's been small in scale so far.  The Starks betrayed the Freys and they got their asses kicked.  That is small time.  Sansa betrays the truth and Micah, Lady, Arya, and Nymeria paid the price for that lie.  Small stuff.  The next time that dilemma comes up, bet on the stakes being larger and greater.  

The crazy thing about the whole Mycah/Arya/Joffrey situation is that Sansa made the right decision politically.

So not all political or martial decisions can be framed as "I did what I needed to do." Because Sansa clearly followed her heart in choosing to make the best political decision.

But yeah: I do think A Dream of Spring is going to be a gigantic book. Practically Biblical in length.

1 minute ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Absolutely not.

While I totally agree that A Dream of Spring is going to be a grim and bleak tearjerker about the end of the world, the politics of what happens after the Others are vanquished or pacified is very important. Because the invasion of the Others is going to completely change the political landscape of Westeros. Since ASOIAF is such a raw political drama, it's only fair that we see the survivors cope with or change political landscape after the Others are taken care of.

House Martell and the Dornish are not in a position to be wiped off the face of the map in The Winds of Winter. If anything, they are becoming more important than the Lannisters.

And Dorne has been the one area of Westeros that has been left untouched for a reason.

I think we are going to learn more about the CoTF, Coldhands, the old gods and the Others. But those will likely happen in the POV chapters of Bran and Sam.

Because even if the Others, Littlefinger, Cersei, Varys and Euron both are no longer a problem by Act 4, you still have to find a new king and reorganize Westeros in Act 5.

And for the record, I still believe Roose Bolton will be an antagonist in A Dream of Spring. Ramsay will die but Roose may play his cards right and escape so that he can fight another day.

The crazy thing about the whole Mycah/Arya/Joffrey situation is that Sansa made the right decision politically.

So not all political or martial decisions can be framed as "I did what I needed to do." Because Sansa clearly followed her heart in choosing to make the best political decision.

But yeah: I do think A Dream of Spring is going to be a gigantic book. Practically Biblical in length.

Ah, I’d forgotten all about what comes after The Others, definitely gonna be interesting to see what happens once all is said and done in the mess that the others inevitably leave.

On 9/3/2019 at 2:11 PM, Anti-Stark said:

If WoW and DoS don't do the others, when will he?  They're the first introduction to Westeros we get, and they've been played as a big threat and mystery.  If they never show up, well. . . that's going to go down as one of the worst plot choices ever if you ask me.

26 minutes ago, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

Ah, I’d forgotten all about what comes after The Others, definitely gonna be interesting to see what happens once all is said and done in the mess that the others inevitably leave.

Exactly.

And even then it's pushing it.

In order to dedicate the last part of the book to simply finding a new king and cleaning up the Others' mess, it means that ALL of the bad actors have to die during the Others' invasion. And it also means that the surviving good actors ALL have to agree with each other.

On 9/4/2019 at 7:00 PM, Jabar of House Titan said:

Sansa made the selfish decision because she was infatuated with Joffrey and wished for the glamour he can bring to her future.  It is a huge character flaw of Sansa's.  Selfishness is her nature.

Anyway, so the Others are a threat that was either the result of human irresponsibility and bad choices or a catastrophe that can be prevented if humans were to make responsible choices.  The story loses its power otherwise.  The last book is not going to focus on the Others but rather on the seemingly unrelated decisions that humans make that collectively either help ensure survival or extinction.  

On 9/2/2019 at 8:55 AM, sweetsunray said:

We should expect politics and warfare to continue in aDoS. According to GRRM several years ago, Dany won't make it to Westeros until the end of tWoW.

Which is ironic, because in the original pitch letter her invasion was supposed to be what A Dance of Dragons would be about, while The Winds of Winter focused on the aftermath in which the Others invaded.

I think the Others will get 25% to 30% screentime in ADOS.

The first half is the Others' southern movement from the Nightfort AND Daenerys' northern movement from Sunspear.

I think it will be done creatively too, where we get an Ice Invasion chapter, then a Fire Invasion chapter, then another Ice, then another Fire....etc
As each chapter progresses, the two Ice and Fire converge geographically towards the middle.
What happens when Ice finally meets Fire? Water.
The Ice Invasion and the Fire Invasion will finally clash at the Riverlands/the Trident.

And after the Others are finally defeated, then the second half of ADOS will be EPIC.

I expect that political intrigue and the fight against the Others will occur simultaneously.  

The Others will invade the North, which will expend all its efforts in fighting them off.

And, in the south, it will not be taken seriously, and political intrigue will go on as usual.  Some of that intrigue might concern whether or not to help the North.  

So, I expect fighting i the North, against the Others, and fighting in the South, as a continuation of the War of the 5 Kings, with Dany as a possible additional participant.  

Poor Westeros!

I recall a series by Robin Hobb, whose work GRRM has praised, in which the coastal areas were facing an existential threat (zombies, or something like them), while the inland areas were ignoring it and having a grand old time.  I expect something similar in ADOS, with the North facing an existential threat, and the South continuing with business as usual.

I think the people who will be playing the political games are the same people who have been playing them from the start. Cersei, Littlefinger, Varys . . . 

I think Dany and Aegon will head north. Dany has Marwyn with Sam's story and everything that he knows converging toward her and Moqorro has made it to the waters of Meereen and we know what he believes. Dany has seen the vision at the HotU about the PtwP and Barristan has made mention of the prophecy to her when he talked about her parents' marriage and why it happened in the first place. And there's Tyrion who was sitting the Iron Throne when Alliser Thorne came with news of the attack by the wights on Castle Black and the dead rising and sent him on his way with spades.

And Jon Connington must know about the prophecy and Rhaegar thought Aegon was. I don't see Jon Conn wanting to thwart his protege's destiny if he believes that's what it is.

I see them heading north eventually to lend their support to the fight.

And if Euron is truly an agent of the Others, then welcome to the party Oldtown and probably King's Landing.

As far as the Others go. Wouldn't they also be some sort of a political force? I personally don't think they're just an existential threat. I think they are also a political threat and a religious one. 

The Night's King allegedly sacrificed to them and we see Craster doing that and apparently they can mate with women and make half-human children. 

We don't know their story. We don't know where they're from, we don't know their motivation, we don't know why or really how they went away during the first long night and we don't know why they've resurfaced, but they are poised to bring war and sweep the Seven Kingdoms. 

I am more than fine if ADoS is mostly the fight against the Others, because I think a lot more characters are going to converge where the fight is. I think it the book will draw that line in the sand with those who really want what's best for the realm and will do what it takes to protect it and the assholes who will remain assholes and jockey for power and more power.

1 hour ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

I think the people who will be playing the political games are the same people who have been playing them from the start. Cersei, Littlefinger, Varys . . . 

I think Dany and Aegon will head north. Dany has Marwyn with Sam's story and everything that he knows converging toward her and Moqorro has made it to the waters of Meereen and we know what he believes. Dany has seen the vision at the HotU about the PtwP and Barristan has made mention of the prophecy to her when he talked about her parents' marriage and why it happened in the first place. And there's Tyrion who was sitting the Iron Throne when Alliser Thorne came with news of the attack by the wights on Castle Black and the dead rising and sent him on his way with spades.

And Jon Connington must know about the prophecy and Rhaegar thought Aegon was. I don't see Jon Conn wanting to thwart his protege's destiny if he believes that's what it is.

I see them heading north eventually to lend their support to the fight.

And if Euron is truly an agent of the Others, then welcome to the party Oldtown and probably King's Landing.

As far as the Others go. Wouldn't they also be some sort of a political force? I personally don't think they're just an existential threat. I think they are also a political threat and a religious one. 

The Night's King allegedly sacrificed to them and we see Craster doing that and apparently they can mate with women and make half-human children. 

We don't know their story. We don't know where they're from, we don't know their motivation, we don't know why or really how they went away during the first long night and we don't know why they've resurfaced, but they are poised to bring war and sweep the Seven Kingdoms. 

I am more than fine if ADoS is mostly the fight against the Others, because I think a lot more characters are going to converge where the fight is. I think it the book will draw that line in the sand with those who really want what's best for the realm and will do what it takes to protect it and the assholes who will remain assholes and jockey for power and more power.

I'll be very surprised if Cersei survives Winds of Winter.   She's dug a super deep hole and pissed off anyone who might have helped her climb out of it.  And then Varys started shoveling dirt on her head.

2 hours ago, argonak said:

I'll be very surprised if Cersei survives Winds of Winter.   She's dug a super deep hole and pissed off anyone who might have helped her climb out of it.  And then Varys started shoveling dirt on her head.

It's possible she dies during it, but before that happens, I think she'll take off for Casterly Rock. 

1 hour ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

It's possible she dies during it, but before that happens, I think she'll take off for Casterly Rock. 

I agree. I think Cersei will survive Winds by the skin of her teeth. Her children will all die in Winds but she'll have ran for the hills (i.e. the western highlands of Casterly Rock).

On 9/7/2019 at 11:35 PM, The Map Guy said:

I think the Others will get 25% to 30% screentime in ADOS.

The first half is the Others' southern movement from the Nightfort AND Daenerys' northern movement from Sunspear.

I think it will be done creatively too, where we get an Ice Invasion chapter, then a Fire Invasion chapter, then another Ice, then another Fire....etc
As each chapter progresses, the two Ice and Fire converge geographically towards the middle.
What happens when Ice finally meets Fire? Water.
The Ice Invasion and the Fire Invasion will finally clash at the Riverlands/the Trident.

And after the Others are finally defeated, then the second half of ADOS will be EPIC.

You know who else personifies Water? Euron Greyjoy and the Ironborn

Archived