Will ADOS Be Entirely Dedicated To The Others?

Brandon Ice-Eyes

3 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

I agree. I think Cersei will survive Winds by the skin of her teeth. Her children will all die in Winds but she'll have ran for the hills (i.e. the western highlands of Casterly Rock).

You know who else personifies Water? Euron Greyjoy and the Ironborn

Yeah, she is still the current holder of Casterly Rock at the moment, so thats an option.  She named some cousin as Castellan in her place though.  I'm not sure its in cersei to run for the hills though, I think she's more likely to burn the city to the ground than she is to give it up.

15 hours ago, argonak said:

Yeah, she is still the current holder of Casterly Rock at the moment, so thats an option.  She named some cousin as Castellan in her place though.  I'm not sure its in cersei to run for the hills though, I think she's more likely to burn the city to the ground than she is to give it up.

Sure, but it's something she brought it up with Jaime back in Feast.

"Even if Tyrion were still hiding in the castle, he won't be in the Tower of the Hand. We've reduced it to a shell."
"Would that we could do the same to the rest of this foul castle," said Cersei. "After the war I mean to build a new palace beyond the river." She had dreamed of it the night before last, a magnificent white castle surrounded by woods and gardens, long leagues from the stinks and noise of King's Landing. "This city is a cesspit. For half a groat I would move the court to Lannisport and rule the realm from Casterly Rock."
"That would be an even greater folly than burning the Tower of the Hand. So long as Tommen sits the Iron Throne, the realm sees him as the true king. Hide him under the Rock and he becomes another claimant to the throne, no different than Stannis."
"I am aware of that," the queen said sharply. "I said that I wanted to move the court to Lannisport, not that I would. Were you always this slow, or did losing a hand make you stupid?" (Cersei III, AFfC 12)

Maybe Cersei will have her Aerys moment of "burn them all," and "let him be king over charred bones and cooked meat." She certainly does with this idea of building a magnificent white castle beyond the river.

2 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Sure, but it's something she brought it up with Jaime back in Feast.

"Even if Tyrion were still hiding in the castle, he won't be in the Tower of the Hand. We've reduced it to a shell."
"Would that we could do the same to the rest of this foul castle," said Cersei. "After the war I mean to build a new palace beyond the river." She had dreamed of it the night before last, a magnificent white castle surrounded by woods and gardens, long leagues from the stinks and noise of King's Landing. "This city is a cesspit. For half a groat I would move the court to Lannisport and rule the realm from Casterly Rock."
"That would be an even greater folly than burning the Tower of the Hand. So long as Tommen sits the Iron Throne, the realm sees him as the true king. Hide him under the Rock and he becomes another claimant to the throne, no different than Stannis."
"I am aware of that," the queen said sharply. "I said that I wanted to move the court to Lannisport, not that I would. Were you always this slow, or did losing a hand make you stupid?" (Cersei III, AFfC 12)

Maybe Cersei will have her Aerys moment of "burn them all," and "let him be king over charred bones and cooked meat." She certainly does with this idea of building a magnificent white castle beyond the river.

Thank you for bringing up this quote.

Because, for once, I agree with Cersei on something. King's Landing is an awful place, a malignant tumor on the body of Westeros and it needs to be destroyed. I don't know if it will become another white elephant of a ruin like Harrenhal, if it will be reduced to a ruin like the cities of Valyria or if it will be completely wiped off the face of the map...in either case, I won't be upset when the time comes.

18 hours ago, argonak said:

Not if Varys makes it impossible for her to do so.

When Aegon comes to take the city and Varys makes himself and his plans plain to her, Cersei is going to have to decide if she wants to stay in the city and fight to the death (or risk a lifetime of imprisonment) or if flee and have a fighting chance.

And I mean "run for the hills" in a figurative sense. It's obviously much safer for her to leave for the Rock by sea than by taking the Gold Road.

On 9/8/2019 at 4:16 AM, FictionIsntReal said:

Which is ironic, because in the original pitch letter her invasion was supposed to be what A Dance of Dragons would be about, while The Winds of Winter focused on the aftermath in which the Others invaded.

Well, initially aDwD was supposed to be 5 years after aSoS, with just references to past events. But that didn't work, and was aFfC and aDwD instead.

On 9/2/2019 at 4:04 PM, Megorova said:

What's that?

Barristan's chapter prior the battle was utterly boring. It totally lacked any personality. Looked more like a dry summary, than an actual chapter. Though, maybe, later GRRM will rewrite it. Nothing much happens in Tyrion's POV, he's not in the centre of events, more like he's observing them from afar. So, the Battle of Meereen will be mostly boring. And the peak event of it will be how Victarion will be burned by Dany's dragons. But we have already read something like that in Quentyn's POV.

Are we sure, that there will be Dany's POV in ADOS? Because I doubt it. Seems fairly likely, that in TWOW there will be no Jon's and no Dany's POVs, so what happened to Jon, after they tried to kill him, and what happened to Dany, when she met those Dothraki, we will find out only in ADOS. Though I hope, that I'm wrong, and GRRM did included Jon's and Dany's POV in TWOW. If Dany will be reunited with Rhaego in Vaes Dothrak, then that won't be boring.

Not interested in what's going on there. Euron will die anyway. Whatever's the reason, why he went to Oldtown, he will fail. What he went there to find (probably, same reason, why Jaqen went there), isn't there anymore, or not important anymore.

This could be interesting. But, most likely, we will see it only from sidelines, or info about those events will be presented to readers already after those events will happen, and thus, the most interesting events will be happening off screen.

Boring. Braavos for her is just a stepping stone. She will shorten her death-list, while she's there, and then move on. That's when her story will become interesting/exciting.

She's stupid and boring. Wherever.

Would have been so much better to read about those events from Jon's POV, not from someone else's, even Mel's.

In my opinion, the most interesting POVs are Jon, Bran and Dany. And it's fairly possible, that none of them will be in TWOW. I also like Tyrion's POV, but his two chapters in TWOW were lacking. Maybe, those were mere preliminary chapters, and later GRRM will rewrite them. But if he won't, and that's what Tyrion's POV will be from now on, then the quality of GRRM's writing has seriously went down, while he was working on TWOW.

Well, its now clear at least that you write your fan fic “theories” because you don’t enjoy the actual books, so thats something at least

On 9/9/2019 at 2:30 PM, Jabar of House Titan said:

You know who else personifies Water? Euron Greyjoy and the Ironborn

Can't tell if Euron will even make into ADOS. We'll see, but I see the Ironborn avoiding the fight against the Others at the Trident.
GRRM writes in circles, it will be the Battle of the Trident again in 283 AC.

The Others
Zombie North
some Zombie Vale
some Zombie Riverlands
Zombie Stannis Baratheon (an ice zombie, he is already a zombie in his own way)
Jon Snow, Bran Stark and a few others as hostages of the Others

vs.

Daenerys Targaryen & her forces
Dorne forces
Reach forces
Drogon, Rhaegal & Viserion

Ironborn won't participate. Westerlands will think defensively and stay put.

Cersei Lannister & King Tommen won't participate, they'll just hide in King's Landing.

Ehh ... just taking a guess.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 1:37 PM, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

Pretty much as the title says, do you think that ADOS will be entirely dedicated to the others or will there still be political intrigue going on in the south with (f?)Aegon and Cersei and The Martells etc. 

Personally, i'd prefer for it to be entirely focused on The Others as i have always imagined ADOS as being a very grim and dark book showing a ruthless war of survival. I'd like to find out more about the COTF and Coldhands but i'd rather that the politics of the south be wrapped up by the end of WOW, save maybe Euron and Daenerys, who's arc could be an interesting side story in the south whilst everything happens up north.

What are your thoughts however?

Yes. 

I also don’t understand how George can still think he can wrap the series in two books.

Look at the Wheel of Time. Even with a much simpler set of character and arguably much more condensed geographically it was a mammoth undertaking. An entire book was dedicated to just the battle(s) and it had almost no epilogue. When you write a massive book series like that and have built up his great threat you really are obliged to make it as a grand and sweeping a conflict as possible. 

For example. If the Others just breech the Wall and there’s a little battle outside Winterfell. To me, that would be ridiculously underwhelming. It would make the Others look like a joke. I am firmly of the view that they’re at least going to get the Gods Eye and probably to the Gates of Kings Landing. You should, like in Wheel of Time have diverse POVs in different battlefield locations.

For example:

Sansa in the Vale at the Bloody Gate

Jon at Winterfell

Dany/Tyrion in the  Riverlands at Harrenhal

JonCon at Kings Landing

Cersei/Jamie at Casterly Rock

All of westeros should be invaded and be fighting this threat. I don’t see any reason George shouldn’t set the stakes and the scale of the conflict similar to Wheel of Time.

But the huge issue is that Dany isn’t in  Westeros and won’t even arrive until the end of Winds in all likelihood. I would have said he needs at least a set up book and round 1 for the Others first. 

5 hours ago, Tyrion1991 said:

I also don’t understand how George can still think he can wrap the series in two books.

Look at the Wheel of Time. Even with a much simpler set of character and arguably much more condensed geographically it was a mammoth undertaking. An entire book was dedicated to just the battle(s) and it had almost no epilogue. When you write a massive book series like that and have built up his great threat you really are obliged to make it as a grand and sweeping a conflict as possible. 

It is worth noting that the Wheel of Time had several books where the plot slowed to the speed of an arthritic snail.  It essentially ground to a halt.  Even considering Feast and Dance, ASOIAF is much leaner than that series.

My guess is that the Others will launch their attack in the first half of Winds.  The North is in complete chaos right now, with serious conflict and fighting at both the Wall and Winterfell, which, by GRRM standards, makes it the perfect time for an attack.  I expect it to continue into ADOS, although primarily affecting the North.  It's possible that it could get to the trident, but I don't think any farther. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived