The Wheel of Time TV Show 3: Fan expectations are heavier than a mountain, success is lighter than a feather [BOOK SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

Yeah, I saw a youtuber speculate that he was Thom and not even addressing Fain as a possibility. Fain was my first thought, but I'd love to see his take on Thom. As the youtuber mentioned, he has a great voice.

On 10/2/2019 at 11:46 AM, SpaceChampion said:

So is anyone there likely to be Thom or Padan Fain?

Aaand, I'm slightly disappointed. I was hoping for American accents for the Two Rivers characters. Or at least something distinct from Moiraine. Another thing the show will ignore?

Does a table read indicate how an actor will deliver lines? Like did Dinklage put on his accent for his first table read? 

But really, I just want them to sound natural. I loved Dinklage as Tyrion, but his accent was distracting at times. And, of course, I don't need to mention Baelish's ever evolving accent, right? It makes sense for minor character to try and put on a different accent (Illian, Domani, Seanchan, etc) because it won't get as much screen time. For the main characters, however, I just want them to sound good rather than accurate.

20 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I was hoping for American accents for the Two Rivers characters

For whatever reason, many people find the idea of fantasy shows with American accents a bit off-putting and CW-ish. 

The standard is "received pronunciation English" for anything with a period feel (in this case, Renaissance-ish) and other British accents for folks of lower social status.

The showrunner was asked about accents a few months ago and his answer was:

https://mobile.twitter.com/rafejudkins/status/1146452610045685760

I’d like to build the accents around the lead characters from that place (Rosamund’s perfect RP for Cairhien, our Lan’s accent for the Malkieri, etc). To me it’s always about getting the best performers in the key roles

12 hours ago, Krishtotter said:

For whatever reason, many people find the idea of fantasy shows with American accents a bit off-putting and CW-ish. 

The standard is "received pronunciation English" for anything with a period feel (in this case, Renaissance-ish) and other British accents for folks of lower social status.

I was hoping the Dragon Age video game series might start to overturn that prejudice. The Dwarf race in Dragon Age has American accents, and it works fine.

Wikipedia says the Witcher should be released “late 2019”. We’re inching closer. 

Oops. This is the WoT thread. Better make a WoT comment  

As a dedicated fan to the book series, I’ll be watching the entirety of the first season no matter what. They’d have to really fuck it up for me to not watch the whole series.

This is a lie. As long as it’s not canceled, I’m watching the whole thing

26 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Wikipedia says the Witcher should be released “late 2019”. We’re inching closer. 

Oops. This is the WoT thread. Better make a WoT comment  

As a dedicated fan to the book series, I’ll be watching the entirety of the first season no matter what. They’d have to really fuck it up for me to not watch the whole series.

Reveal hidden contents

This is a lie. As long as it’s not canceled, I’m watching the whole thing

If they really fuck it up I bet your spoiler will be the lie. But then again, if they really fuck it up there might only be 2 seasons in total, so your spoiler might still be correct.

3 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

If they really fuck it up I bet your spoiler will be the lie. But then again, if they really fuck it up there might only be 2 seasons in total, so your spoiler might still be correct.

You’re overestimating my ability to stop watching/reading something once I have started it.

You wouldn’t believe the amount of crap I’ve seen through to the end. 

I got curious about The Expanse actress Cara Gee, thinking she was an Asian-Caucasian mixed race person, but turns out she's half Objibwe.  It occurred to me there is no reason one of the nations of Randland, the Saldaeans for instance, couldn't have been populated by a North American native tribe, after the breaking -- the culture is different of course, but all cultures change, and the Breaking is cause for that.  Hiring native American actors for the few Saldaean roles shouldn't be too hard.   Cara Gee is a bit old to play Faile, but she looks much younger than her age 35.

On 10/5/2019 at 2:48 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

We came through Legend of the Seeker, suffered through last several seasons of Game of Thrones, seen unimaginable horrors in The Shannara Chronicles, gave money for three Hobbit movies...

It would need such a screw-up to make us stop watching this. And even then...

I am categorically incapable of understanding how anyone went to a theater. Paid valuable currency. And then sat down in a chair to watch that third hobbit travesty. It does not add up in my mind. 

I am aware that people did so. But I cannot fathom the mechanics involved. 

51 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I am categorically incapable of understanding how anyone went to a theater. Paid valuable currency. And then sat down in a chair to watch that third hobbit travesty. It does not add up in my mind. 

I did it out of a sense of obligation. Friends were in the movie, and my wife taught Peter Jackson's kids piano for a few years. My sense of obligation is at an end now.

59 minutes ago, Risto said:

We came through Legend of the Seeker, suffered through last several seasons of Game of Thrones, seen unimaginable horrors in The Shannara Chronicles, gave money for three Hobbit movies...

It would need such a screw-up to make us stop watching this. And even then...

I dunno, I'm almost the opposite. I'm sick of half arsing fantasy when it comes to movies and TV. I expect WoT to be done right, because they've got so many examples of others having got it wrong that they have no excuse.

I read the entire series, but I only read it once, and I won't be repeating the process ever. So I am among the 98.9% on knowledge and devotion. I am not a WoT 1%er. I do care that the show is being made, and it's a great hing, in theory and I'm excited for it. But if it turns to shit I'll happily drop it, just like I dropped GoT at the end of season 5, and I regret having watched the whole of that season. 

54 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I did it out of a sense of obligation. Friends were in the movie, and my wife taught Peter Jackson's kids piano for a few years. My sense of obligation is at an end now.

I dunno, I'm almost the opposite. I'm sick of half arsing fantasy when it comes to movies and TV. I expect WoT to be done right, because they've got so many examples of others having got it wrong that they have no excuse.

Now you're rubbing my face in having friends!?! You wanna rumble, brah?

2 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I watched it on a plane when I couldn't get to sleep and 3/4 of it is still mostly forgotten and like a vague fever dream. 

12 hours ago, karaddin said:

I watched it on a plane when I couldn't get to sleep and 3/4 of it is still mostly forgotten and like a vague fever dream. 

I watched Holmes and Watson on my last long flight... 

Archived