The Wheel of Time TV Show 3: Fan expectations are heavier than a mountain, success is lighter than a feather [BOOK SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

15 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I am categorically incapable of understanding how anyone went to a theater. Paid valuable currency. And then sat down in a chair to watch that third hobbit travesty. It does not add up in my mind. 

I am aware that people did so. But I cannot fathom the mechanics involved. 

pfff, theater. Hell, not only did I do that, I bought the extended edition on digital. And I'm willing to trash talk it as much as anyone, but given that I bought all 3 LOTR movies, and the other 2 Hobbit movies, I just couldn't resist adding it to the collection. Once you jumped off a cliff, might as well give a big smile and yell HOOYAH.

22 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I am categorically incapable of understanding how anyone went to a theater. Paid valuable currency. And then sat down in a chair to watch that third hobbit travesty. It does not add up in my mind. 

I am aware that people did so. But I cannot fathom the mechanics involved. 

We were promised White Council fight against Sauron in Dol Guldur. Little did we know...

21 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I dunno, I'm almost the opposite. I'm sick of half arsing fantasy when it comes to movies and TV. I expect WoT to be done right, because they've got so many examples of others having got it wrong that they have no excuse.

I read the entire series, but I only read it once, and I won't be repeating the process ever. So I am among the 98.9% on knowledge and devotion. I am not a WoT 1%er. I do care that the show is being made, and it's a great hing, in theory and I'm excited for it. But if it turns to shit I'll happily drop it, just like I dropped GoT at the end of season 5, and I regret having watched the whole of that season. 

The thing is I do understand you... I don't watch most of SciFi/fantasy shows these days. Expanse and Outlander are currently the most fantasy thing I am watching.

That said, I do have high expectations from WoT. I hope it will turn out to be a good TV show. I have been invested in the world (WoT is huge thing here in Serbia) and I was very happy to have heard the news of Rosamund Pike being casted. Overall, there is some involvement, plus my inability to quit watching TV shows make sure that I will most likely watch WoT even if it is not THAT good.

https://redanianintelligence.com/2019/10/18/three-new-wheel-of-time-roles-cast/

Mat's parents have been cast. Also Helena Westerman has been cast to play Laila Aybara , a character who is not in the books, but obviously is a Perrin relative. There are some unconfirmed rumours that Laila will be Perrin's wife and will be killed by Trollocs in the Winternight fighting.

8 hours ago, David Selig said:

Also Helena Westerman has been cast to play Laila Aybara , a character who is not in the books, but obviously is a Perrin relative. There are some unconfirmed rumours that Laila will be Perrin's wife and will be killed by Trollocs in the Winternight fighting.

That would be quite a big change.

If this Laila was his sister that would be less of a change, although still a new character.

16 minutes ago, williamjm said:

That would be quite a big change.

If this Laila was his sister that would be less of a change, although still a new character.

Well, I doubt that's going to be the case, unless someone was adopted or they're step siblings. In the 4th book there's a boy with the name Aybara who is a distant cousin, so other than wife, it could be that. But then, there wouldn't be much purpose of announcing such a casting, so wife is the likeliest choice. And if that's the case, I'm not feeling enthusiastic at all by already having such a change.

22 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I hadn't thought about the lack of family resemblance, but you're right that would probably need someone to be adopted.

I (not quickly enough) added that they could be step siblings. One thing we see in Two Rivers culture is that people don't want other people to stay unmarried if they can help it.

14 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Well, I doubt that's going to be the case, unless someone was adopted or they're step siblings. In the 4th book there's a boy with the name Aybara who is a distant cousin, so other than wife, it could be that. But then, there wouldn't be much purpose of announcing such a casting, so wife is the likeliest choice. And if that's the case, I'm not feeling enthusiastic at all by already having such a change.

Agreed.

It changes his character quite a bit. All three boys are the same age and stage of life when they set out. Marriage changes your perspective in life. Having Perrin a young widower makes his journey one of grief and possibly revenge driven, not just fear, survival, and uncertainty. 

I try not to be judgey before seeing a single frame of the show, but I hope this is an unfounded rumor. 

It also just seems really unnecessary. Perrin already has some of the saddest familial storylines, with his entire family getting killed while he was gone. Do we really need to pile on a dead wife on top of that? Why? I really hope it's like a sister-in-law or something to help emphasize Perrin's story/loss and not a stupid wife to be fridged.

Ick ick ick on that rumor. Rooting for it to be wrong or rooting for it to surprise us with it's relevance to storytelling. Can't say I have much faith in that last one. Oh well, we shall see. It's always so easy to get worried about things when we know next to nothing and we're hungry.

I think it must be his wife.  There is a Laila in the Two Rivers that Perrin had some sort of relationship with when he was younger I think.  I assume they are just making that relationship more prominent.  Maybe?  I'm not sure how that would work but I am cautiously optimistic.  Changes have to be made after all.  We'll see what happens.

I'll be honest.  I'm looking forward to changes being made...even big ones.  I am a big WoT fan but I want the show to stand on it's own.  I hope I don't regret feeling that way as the show progresses.

1 hour ago, Inkdaub said:

I think it must be his wife.  There is a Laila in the Two Rivers that Perrin had some sort of relationship with when he was younger I think. I assume they are just making that relationship more prominent

Excellent point.

Here is the passage where Laila is first mentioned in the books:

Perrin looked past the stout, smiling woman; then his head whipped back. When he had left the Two Rivers, Laila Dearn had been a slim girl who could dance any three boys into the ground. Only the smile and the eyes were the same. He shivered. There had been a time when he had dreamed of marrying Laila, and she had returned the feeling somewhat. The truth was, she had held on to it longer than he had. Luckily, she was too entranced with her baby and the even wider fellow by her side to pay much attention to him. Perrin recognized the man with her, too. Natley Lewin. So Laila was a Lewin now. Odd. Nat never could dance. Thanking the Light for his escape, Perrin looked around for Faile.

This certainly makes the rumours more plausible.

12 hours ago, David Selig said:

Here is the passage where Laila is first mentioned in the books:

This certainly makes the rumours more plausible.

Emphasizing that dynamic I'm in favor of. He's actually leaving something behind when he leaves with Moiraine. AND it makes his return a bit more interesting too, finding out that his old flame has in fact moved on.

If he is married and she's still alive when he leaves, it makes her moving on negative on her part. (He had been gone less than a year, right? or a bit longer?) Unless he does what movie Aragorn did in Fellowship (breaks up with Arwen when they leave Rivendell because he doesn't think he'll survive). 

Both these options are more appealing than her dying on Winternight.

On 10/19/2019 at 10:01 AM, Corvinus said:

Honestly among all the heroes from the two rivers who embark on this epic journey someone has to have a love interest who is murdered by the baddies at the very start. That can only be Perrin. Mat is a playboy. Rand is betrothed to Egwene, and Nynaeve is basically a spinster in Two rivers culture.

I'm fine with that. Might be better as a fiance, since that way Perrin's still a green virgin when he gets with Faile, but whatever.

29 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Honestly among all the heroes from the two rivers who embark on this epic journey someone has to have a love interest who is murdered by the baddies at the very start. That can only be Perrin. Mat is a playboy. Rand is betrothed to Egwene, and Nynaeve is basically a spinster in Two rivers culture.

I'm fine with that. Might be better as a fiance, since that way Perrin's still a green virgin when he gets with Faile, but whatever.

Why? Is that really necessary? The show's description was that Moiraine knows one of the youths is very important, and at least the threat of being brutally murdered by Trollocs should be sufficient to get the characters going. 

I have no idea why someone has to lose a loved one at the start. Sure, it'll make the stakes more real, but I'm not really buying that Perrin will be Perrin if he already has a dead wife.

On the other hand, it might add texture to his insane overprotectiveness of Faile, and that obsession with rescuing her no matter the cost, but the books managed to explain those without a dead wife well enough.

But given that they've cast this character who has a single paragraph dedicated to her in the 4th book, I'm resigning myself to seeing her be his wife. If they don't fridge her, that could maybe be something, but I'm not hopeful.

I saw a video of a few audition tapes for Mat, Nyneave and Fain. Looks like they were casting a wide net with regards to ethnicity, so I'm glad to see that. I love that they went with a darker-skinned main cast, but I'm also glad that they didn't seem to specifically aim for it. (if that makes sense). 

Archived