The Wheel of Time TV Show 3: Fan expectations are heavier than a mountain, success is lighter than a feather [BOOK SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

9 hours ago, Gertrude said:

With a speculated 8 episodes, I don't think we'd get too much of book 2, but I could see it because - while we get a lot of introduction to characters and places - there is just so much travel in the first book. I hope they condense it a bit and if they do that, then there is room to end up in Fal Dara to do the set up for the next season - meet the Amyrlin, Fain escapes and set the outline for the next steps for our heroes. A decent cliff hanger without leaving too much dangling.

I wonder whether they will go "Game of Thrones"-style in terms of scripts. I mean, having  big confrontation at the Eye of the World in Episode 7 and then having Episode 8 to finish some stories and perhaps with cliffhangers lead into the next one. 

10 hours ago, Werthead said:

Alanna doesn't show up until Book 2, so more evidence that either they're going into Book 2 material or a new subplot at Tar Valon.

I was hoping for some more prominent names when it came to Aes Sedai. I just checked my casting choices from 2014. Back then, I thought Bridget Reagan would be a great choice for Alanna.

Wasn't one of the episode titles "The Flame of Tar Valon" ? So, you are thinking a new subplot at White Tower instead of having Amirlyn at Fal Dara? Hmmm, quite possible.

Interesting to cast Alanna first. Or announce, I suppose. Elaida was who I was expecting next.

I think Logain makes sense as the reason for Alanna to show up early. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a whole bunch of Aes Sedai show up in Caemlyn. Maybe even Siuan. Then you can establish the Siuan-Elaida rivalry early, establish that Moiraine and Siuan are doing something in secret, and make the whole escaping from Caemlyn and Elaida a whole lot more interesting.

If they're going to focus a lot more on Logain's capture, Cadsuane needs to be there, since she was, per the books. And it would be a great way for her introduction to not throw everyone off when she comes back in later. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we get the casting news for Elaida, Morgase, Elayne, Galad and Gawyn next. And possibly Siuan.

Is the Logain capture pure speculation by fans, or is there something more concrete? I think I've read that they want to expand his role, but I think they could do that easier in the later books and not front load it here.

5 hours ago, Gertrude said:

Is the Logain capture pure speculation by fans, or is there something more concrete? I think I've read that they want to expand his role, but I think they could do that easier in the later books and not front load it here.

I believe it's based on his agency notes saying he's in 3 or 4 episodes, which is obviously way more than would be required for his 20-second appearance in the book.

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

I believe it's based on his agency notes saying he's in 3 or 4 episodes, which is obviously way more than would be required for his 20-second appearance in the book.

Aha, thank you. That seems like a lot of episodes and I can't imagine what they have planned. I'll roll with it though. It now seems more reasonable to have Alanna shoehorned in with Logain.

8 hours ago, Werthead said:

Wait... They've cast Logain?

ETA: Duh. Of course they have. I can't believe I'm reaching the point where I can genuinely forget who's been cast. It's a good thing, that's how I'm going to see this. :D

So, if he's on 3-4 episodes, I think the way it'll go is: Ep1, Fain tells the TR folk about the False Dragon.

Ep 2, when they reach Baerlon, the gate guard tells em Logain's killed some Aes Sedai and it's looking bad, as in the books, and then we cut to the front in Ghealdan, with Alanna, possibly Cadsuane, and a whole host of Reds.

They capture him in Ep 3, and we'll see him in Caemlyn in Episode 4 or 5, when Rand is there as well.

One thing that worries me is that this is likely to strip off the Aes Sedai mystique a lot sooner. With only Moiraine as our focus for so long, RJ was able to gradually reveal that what seems to be a grand and all powerful organization is actually severely crippled and failing. That'll be harder to pull off in the show, now.

6 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

One thing that worries me is that this is likely to strip off the Aes Sedai mystique a lot sooner. With only Moiraine as our focus for so long, RJ was able to gradually reveal that what seems to be a grand and all powerful organization is actually severely crippled and failing. That'll be harder to pull off in the show, now.

I don't see why that has to be the case. Capturing Logain is something all Aes Sedai can get behind and work together to do. The capture and parade of Logain is a triumph that emphasizes their power and place in the world as wise protectors. If they chose to show more of the inner back-biting and politics, then it is a story choice they've made that they were going to fit in somehow, Logain or not.

The current known cast is:

Moiraine Damodred - Rosamund Pike

Rand al'Thor - Josha Stradowski

Perrin Aybara - Marcus Rutherford

Mat Cauthon - Barney Harris

Nynaeve al'Meara - Zoe Robins

Lan Mandragoran - Daniel Henney

Tam al'Thor - Michael McElhatton

Logain Ablar - Alvaro Morte

Loial - Hammed Animashaun

Thom Merrilin - Alexandre Willaume

Padan Fain - Johann Myers

Eamon Valda - Abdul Salis

Master Hightower - Pearce Quigley

Alanna Mosvani - Priyanka Bose

Maksim - Taylor Napier

Ihvon - Emmanuel Imani

Abell Cauthon - Christopher Sciueref

Natti Cauthon - Juliet Howland

Eldrin Cauthon - Lilibet Biutanaseva

Bode Cauthon - Litiana Biutanaseva

Laila Aybara - Helena Westerman

Narg/Trollocs - Roman Dvorak

unknown - Naana Agyei Ampadu, Daryl McCormack

• 4 weeks later...

Episode 5 title confirmed.

The full list now is:

101: Leavetakings, written by Rafe Judkins, directed by Uta Briesewitz
102: Shadow’s Waiting, written by Amanda Kate Shuman, directed by Uta Briesewitz
103: A Place of Safety, written by the Clarkson Twins
104: The Dragon Reborn, written by Dave Hill
105: Blood Calls Blood, written by Celine Song, directed by Salli Richardson Whitfield
106: The Flame of Tar Valon, written by Justine Juel Gillmer
107: unknown
108: unknown, probably written by Rafe Judkins

I know they have no guarantee of getting to the end of the series but that seems early to be using up "The Dragon Reborn" and super early for "The Flame of Tar Valon.

I'd have saved them for the fall of the Stone and Egwene defending the tower.

Maria Doyle Kennedy cast in Wheel of Time.

One of my favourite actresses, and long my fancast for Elaida (though they haven't confirmed whom she is playing). This is really good news.

They've also cast Liandrin to debut in either episode 5 or 6, which has thrown a lot of people's estimates on what material is being cast when off. More randomly, they've cast an Aes Sedai who only appears in New Spring, suggesting flashbacks to that book will start creeping in.

squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I mean, good, thanks good.

Also, liked Katy Fleetwood in Harlots.  She'll make a fierce Liandrin, though cast older that I'd expect for someone suppose to have the ageless look.  Unless they do that age shimmering effect someone suggested about de-ageing every other second of each scene with Aes Sedai.

51 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I mean, good, thanks good.

Also, liked Katy Fleetwood in Harlots.  She'll make a fierce Liandrin, though cast older that I'd expect for someone suppose to have the ageless look.  Unless they do that age shimmering effect someone suggested about de-ageing every other second of each scene with Aes Sedai.

They'll do it with makeup or they could do it with a localised DNR effect (like the one that went haywire on the HD remaster of Buffy and made the Master look like a billiard ball). They certainly can't do it with custom CG, it'll cost a fortune.

Or they say fuck it and ditch the whole concept.

The casting announcements are coming thick and fast now.

I agree Maria Doyle Kennedy would be a good Elaida, but she'd make a good Verin too, I feel.

Interesting to see Kerene cast. I suspect they'll make a bigger deal of the hunt for the Dragon Reborn. Use flashback to emphasize the danger in Moiraine's activities.

Alternatively, they could change the character's role. Make her part of the main narrative in some way, maybe?

5 hours ago, Werthead said:

Maria Doyle Kennedy cast in Wheel of Time.

One of my favourite actresses, and long my fancast for Elaida (though they haven't confirmed whom she is playing). This is really good news.

Elaida? Wow... I LOVE Maria Doyle Kennedy and I have always thought of her as Pevara. 

Archived