The Wheel of Time TV Show 3: Fan expectations are heavier than a mountain, success is lighter than a feather [BOOK SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

5 hours ago, Risto said:

Elaida? Wow... I LOVE Maria Doyle Kennedy and I have always thought of her as Pevara. 

Pevara is firmly in the "so minor she's unlikely to appear in the show" camp at this point, I feel.

50 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Pretty much. Given at one point people were debating if the Seanchan were going to be in the show, I think it's fairly safe to say that a whole raft of minor subplots are going to be exorcised. Not all of them, but for example there are some signs that Baerlon has been completely cut from the TV show.

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I think it's fairly safe to say that a whole raft of minor subplots are going to be exorcised. Not all of them, but for example there are some signs that Baerlon has been completely cut from the TV show.

Anything concrete on Elmindreda yet?

Though I suppose it would be easy enough to just have Min working at an inn in Caemlyn instead of Baerlon for her introduction.

2 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Anything concrete on Elmindreda yet?

Though I suppose it would be easy enough to just have Min working at an inn in Caemlyn instead of Baerlon for her introduction.

That seems to be a popular idea.

Although the lack of Elayne/Morgase/Galad/Gawyn news is making some people think that Caemlyn has been cut as well, although that seems less likely to me.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

Pevara is firmly in the "so minor she's unlikely to appear in the show" camp at this point, I feel.

I have to admit you are right. Although, I liked her. She was the one, alongside Silviana, that completely changed the Reds for me.

And we need that.... :D But I suppose that Logain will be taking the role of multiple male channelers in Black Tower, so it makes sense to cut Pevara.

I would be completely unsurprised if they merged Pevara and Silviana for the show, axe Androl completely (HUZZAH!), and give prominence to Logain instead. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Baerlon is cut. It adds too little to the story, but Nynaeve has to catch up to them before Shadar Logoth somewhere. It doesn't make sense for her to come with them from the beginning, though I suppose they could always have her meet them at Taren Ferry.

3 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Baerlon is cut. It adds too little to the story, but Nynaeve has to catch up to them before Shadar Logoth somewhere. It doesn't make sense for her to come with them from the beginning, though I suppose they could always have her meet them at Taren Ferry.

I would say she should catch up to them somewhere in the woods. That way, she impressing Lan by having tracked the group which starts off their relationship is going to make more sense. Assuming they make that part of Nynaeve's character.

I'm not sure I understand why Nynaeve can't just be part of the group.  Isn't her motivation that she doesn't want some shifty eyed Aes Sedai making off with four of "her" kids?  Honestly, I forgot that she didn't leave with them.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I'm not sure I understand why Nynaeve can't just be part of the group.  Isn't her motivation that she doesn't want some shifty eyed Aes Sedai making off with four of "her" kids?  Honestly, I forgot that she didn't leave with them.

The original group was supposed to be Moiraine + Lan and the boys. The boys are her reason for being there. Then Egwene notices all the preparations at the inn, and decides to join in. Moiraine lets her because she senses her potential. Then Thom overhears the conversation in the stables, and declares he will join because he wants to leave but doesn't want to travel alone. The only options were to kill him or let him join. This was supposed to be a secret departure.

I'm really liking the castings thus far. Amazon evidently appear to be giving WoT the professional treatment and money it deserves (at least so far as casting is concerned, I'm interested to see if they do try to squeeze 2 books into the first season as some have been speculating courtesy of the episode titles).  

Maria Doyle Kennedy first came onto my radar in 2007, when she starred as Catherine of Aragon in The Tudors. She was excellent in the role and I subsequently saw her in Downton Abbey, Orphan Black and Outlander (as blind aunt Jocasta MacKenzie). In each role, she came across to me as a versatile and accomplished character actress, so I am very curious to see if she is Elaida as Werthead has theorised (weirdly enough, she resembles a lot of the fan art for this character physically). 

The Aes Sedai women all look very well selected to me and with Rosamund Pike already well locked in from the beginning as Moiraine, the sisterhood are looking pretty fierce at the minute. If I were Rand (Josha Stradowski), I'd be intimidated!

I also think the social media engagement from the WoT crew & cast on Twitter, instagram et al. has been very strong, so kudos to Amazon for that. 

As someone who has only dabbled in the WoT books (just reading EotW & GH in full & skimming a few others, as well as reading about the wider world-building here & there), I'm very much looking forward to the show.

2 hours ago, Krishtotter said:

Maria Doyle Kennedy first came onto my radar in 2007, when she starred as Catherine of Aragon in The Tudors. She was excellent in the role and I subsequently saw her in Downton Abbey, Orphan Black and Outlander (as blind aunt Jocasta MacKenzie). In each role, she came across to me as a versatile and accomplished character actress, so I am very curious to see if she is Elaida as Werthead has theorised (weirdly enough, she resembles a lot of the fan art for this character physically)

I have also watched MDK in all of abovementioned. The speech she gave as Catherine of Aragon during her trial is one of the most memorable scenes from The Tudors.

46 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Is Archie male or female?

"Archie is the best boy ever."

First the discussion on making James Bond female now we gender swap one of the most iconic characters in fantasy fiction?!!?  Where does the madness end?!!?  Where I ask you????

Also... I never thought Bela was black...

I'll show myself out.

:leaving: 

7 minutes ago, Rhom said:

"Archie is the best boy ever."

First the discussion on making James Bond female now we gender swap one of the most iconic characters in fantasy fiction?!!?  Where does the madness end?!!?  Where I ask you????

Also... I never thought Bela was black...

I'll show myself out.

:leaving: 

Well it had been established (by the fandom) that Bela was the Creator. And they made her a boy. How misogynistic, no? 

Right behind ya :leaving:

Archived