The Wheel of Time TV Show 3: Fan expectations are heavier than a mountain, success is lighter than a feather [BOOK SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

On 1/22/2020 at 7:12 PM, fionwe1987 said:

The casting announcements are coming thick and fast now.

I agree Maria Doyle Kennedy would be a good Elaida, but she'd make a good Verin too, I feel.

Interesting to see Kerene cast. I suspect they'll make a bigger deal of the hunt for the Dragon Reborn. Use flashback to emphasize the danger in Moiraine's activities.

Alternatively, they could change the character's role. Make her part of the main narrative in some way, maybe?

I don't know why, but while reading the series I always had a mental image of Verin as being slightly plump, a little bit matronly perhaps.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Yeah, she's now updated twitter to say she's playing Leane.

Maria Doyle Kennedy was asked on Twitter if she's playing Elaida and she responded in a manner that suggests she is.

Getting those Aes Sedai answers down pat already!

46 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I don't know why, but while reading the series I always had a mental image of Verin as being slightly plump, a little bit matronly perhaps.

I was almost positive she is rather plump and frumpy. :dunno: 

53 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

That's indeed how she is described in the books.

Book spoiler:

Which is why the reveal about her being a double agent is something of a surprise, as she doesn't quite fit the profile of a politically savvy player. Definitely one of the best things in the books imho.

1 hour ago, Rippounet said:

That's indeed how she is described in the books.

Book spoiler:

Hide contents

Which is why the reveal about her being a double agent is something of a surprise, as she doesn't quite fit the profile of a politically savvy player. Definitely one of the best things in the books imho.

Cool, so my memory is actually pretty sound. So Maria Doyle Kennedy would not fit the physical profile for Verin. And really, frumpy characters should be played by frumpy actors and not have unfrumpy actors be frumped up. And yes, we should be more concerned about acting skill rather than look. But it's nmot like there aren;t really good actors out there who fit the physical profile.

Book spoiler:

Spoiler

A triple agent, surely. A goodie pretending to be a baddie pretending to be a goody.

5 hours ago, Werthead said:

Yeah, she's now updated twitter to say she's playing Leane.

She's definitely not how I pictured Leane. But she does look like she can pull off tall and willowy.

As for Verin, yes she's frumpy and plump. But that's easy enough to achieve I thought, but yeah, there are plenty of excellent actors who can pull a great Verin who look like her too. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Emond's Field set

I like it. But I guess they're changing Cenn Buie's job description. He can't be a thatcher. ;)

There can be plenty of thatched houses in the village, always just out of shot.

Just now, Werthead said:

There can be plenty of thatched houses in the village, always just out of shot.

Fairly certain that Buie had a monopoly on roof construction in Emond's Field until refugees started showing up. I think only the inn is tiled originally.

Looks like we have the final director roster:

101/102: Uta Briesewitz

103/104: Wayne Yip

105/106: Salli Richardson-Whitfield

107/108: Ciaran Donnelly

Based on Twitter posts, it sounds like they're heading into the filming of the last two episodes now, which makes sense is filming is due to finish in early or mid May.

On 2/27/2020 at 1:04 AM, Martini Sigil said:

is this supposed to come out in 2020????

Amazon's first hope was to get it out before the end of the year, but it looks like it's going to be close. They finish filming in early May so they could turn it around for November/December based on the CG requirements. If they need the same level of CG post-production as The Witcher or less, they can get it out this year, if not it'll be early next year.

17 hours ago, Werthead said:

My latest Dragonmount article, on the (apparently) complete list of directors.

David Buckley as composer. The name sounded familiar, though I never listened to any of the examples you offered. Until I remembered he also composed the soundtrack for The Forbidden Kingdom movie, an enjoyable score.

Wheel of Time production shutting down today from the look of it (following sister show Carnival Row yesterday).

It looks like they've been filming in approximate chronological order, so it appears that all or most of the first six episodes were completed, so they can still show a truncated version of the first season. Also possibly a little earlier, since they just cut 25% off their post-production schedule.

Obviously not the most serious thing about the outbreak, but given the chaos the property has endured over twenty years to get in front of the camera, still remarkable.

13 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Wheel of Time production shutting down today from the look of it (following sister show Carnival Row yesterday).

It looks like they've been filming in approximate chronological order, so it appears that all or most of the first six episodes were completed, so they can still show a truncated version of the first season. Also possibly a little earlier, since they just cut 25% off their post-production schedule.

Obviously not the most serious thing about the outbreak, but given the chaos the property has endured over twenty years to get in front of the camera, still remarkable.

They can just postpone the release, no? Maybe they can flip with LOTR, since New Zealand hasn't been affected.

Archived