The Wheel of Time TV Show 3: Fan expectations are heavier than a mountain, success is lighter than a feather [BOOK SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

18 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

I have no idea why someone has to lose a loved one at the start. Sure, it'll make the stakes more real, but I'm not really buying that Perrin will be Perrin if he already has a dead wife.

On the other hand, it might add texture to his insane overprotectiveness of Faile, and that obsession with rescuing her no matter the cost, but the books managed to explain those without a dead wife well enough.

But given that they've cast this character who has a single paragraph dedicated to her in the 4th book, I'm resigning myself to seeing her be his wife. If they don't fridge her, that could maybe be something, but I'm not hopeful.

Part of me hopes she’s a portal stone wife... but I’m not even sure they’ll venture into that at all.

5 hours ago, Slurktan said:

What if it Perrin's newly married wife who after he leaves and has no word for 2 years thinks he's dead and remarries and then he comes back in tow with Faile to the Tow Rivers.

I can't see right now how that would add to the story. And it would kind of destroy one of the best Perrin and Faile moments of the books (and there aren't many of them, so we need to savor them!) When Perrin sends Faile away from Two Rivers so she wouldn't see him die and she returns with local reinforcements to save his ass. Perrin and Faile in the Two Rivers - from her dropping all the shit and being there for him when he finds out about his family to the triumphant moment where she saves the day - is the only time I like them as a couple. I want more of this type of thing, not more forced drama.

I might be in the minority but I like Faile and Perrin.  I agree with Gertrude above that those particular moments are really great.  I think Laila must be Perrin's first wife and I strongly suspect she will be dead.  I think she will take the place of Perrin's family being killed.  Also, leaving her alive leads to the dreaded love triangle.  Love triangles are a lazy and stupid shortcut to conflict that should be banned completely.  There will be awkwardness enough already if Perrin shows up in Two Rivers and introduces Faile to a village full of people who knew Laila.  Maybe.  We'll see I guess.  

21 hours ago, Gertrude said:

I saw a video of a few audition tapes for Mat, Nyneave and Fain. Looks like they were casting a wide net with regards to ethnicity, so I'm glad to see that. I love that they went with a darker-skinned main cast, but I'm also glad that they didn't seem to specifically aim for it. (if that makes sense). 

Where was this video? I'm happy this is how it worked, too.

17 hours ago, Rhom said:

Part of me hopes she’s a portal stone wife... but I’m not even sure they’ll venture into that at all.

Not in EotW, especially. They aren't mentioned till book 2, and I don't see where they can be fit into the story in the quest for the Eye.

• 2 weeks later...

I found on this site listed character blurbs that were attached with the casting announcements. I'm not sure how trustworthy all this is, given that they call Emond's Field the Two Rivers when talking about Moiraine.

Egwene: “It was about a woman who would not bend her back while she was beaten, and who shown with a light for all who watched.”

Perrin: “It was about a man whose family was taken from him, but who stood tall in his sorrow and protected those he could.”

Mat: “It was about a hero who insisted with every breath that he was anything but a hero.”

Nynaeve: “It was about a woman who refused to believe that she could not help, could not heal those who had been harmed.”

Rand: “It was not about me. It’s never been about me.”

Lan: “I swear to stand against the Shadow so long as iron is hard and stone abides – to defend the Malkieri while one drop of blood remains. I swear to avenge what cannot be defended.”

This seems to confirm that Perrin loses his family much earlier, and that casting announcement from a couple of weeks ago may have been for his wife. I'm kinda concerned about Egwene's too. I hope that just refers to her times being captured, mainly the Seanchan part, because I hope they don't start the story with her dealing with abuse. If they turn Bran al'Vere into an abusive father, I'm out. Ran's blurb is weird and really doesn't say anything. 

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

I found on this site listed character blurbs that were attached with the casting announcements. I'm not sure how trustworthy all this is, given that they call Emond's Field the Two Rivers when talking about Moiraine.

This seems to confirm that Perrin loses his family much earlier, and that casting announcement from a couple of weeks ago may have been for his wife. I'm kinda concerned about Egwene's too. I hope that just refers to her times being captured, mainly the Seanchan part, because I hope they don't start the story with her dealing with abuse. If they turn Bran al'Vere into an abusive father, I'm out. Ran's blurb is weird and really doesn't say anything. 

Those are all quotes from Memory of Light when Rand is talking to the Dark One

1 hour ago, Maltaran said:

Those are all quotes from Memory of Light when Rand is talking to the Dark One

That's the only book I've read only once. I barely remember details out of it, just remember it had an exhaustively long chapter. Thanks for pointing it out.

On 11/7/2019 at 1:25 PM, Corvinus said:

That's the only book I've read only once. I barely remember details out of it, just remember it had an exhaustively long chapter. Thanks for pointing it out.

These come right after that exhausting chapter, so you can be forgiven for being too zoinked out to notice, IMO.

Looks like Season 2 is a go:

I don't think this says anything special about Amazon's confidence in WoT since they're apparently doing this with all their shows. But good to know nevertheless.

New casting news - https://variety.com/2019/music/news/tv-news-roundup-tr-knight-joins-flight-attendant-1203402580/

Daryl McCormack has been cast opposite Rosamund Pike (“Gone Girl”) in “The Wheel of Time” series adaptation at Amazon, Variety has learned exclusively. McCormack is said to be appearing in three episodes of the show in an undisclosed role. The Irish actor currently recurs on “Peaky Blinders” and is repped by Echo Lake Entertainment, Independent Talent Group in the U.K., and Lisa Richards Agency in Ireland.

He has really cool eyes, kind of a toned-down version of how I pictured Perrin's eyes.

If they had cast this guy as Perrin, they could've saved so much on CGI later (enhance rather than change) :lol:

I'm kind of happy that I've forgotten a lot of the books... I'm sure that some of it will come back to me, and reading this thread will help, but sometimes when i read the book first, i have expectations in my head that often --usually-- aren't met... But holy cow am I looking forward to this... Amazon has been on a huge role as it concerns appealing to the nerd crowd... 

Archived