Do you think we will ever see Valyria?

Brandon Ice-Eyes

Well, I could see Dany or one of the other dragonriders (if the dragons are claimed in Slaver's Bay) fly across the Lands of the Long Summer to look down on the Doom - but I doubt anyone is ever going to land/go to Valyria proper. Why should they?

I doubt it. 

We are told repeatedly that sailors fear to venture too close, that certain captains had their crews abandon them because they wanted to sail to Valyria. Ships and crews disappear in ill-fated voyages there. 

All that kind of stuff indicates a potential mystery to me. At the same time the circumstances and consequences of the doom are widely known - perhaps there is less mystery there than we think. 

Well, there's that (in)famous prophecy:  "To go north, you must go south. To reach the west, you must go east. To go forward you must go back, and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow."  Valyria is South of Slavers Bay. 

Euron apparently went there and lived to tell about it.  He has that Valyrian horn and armor, although the text does contain a hint that he didn't actually go to Valyria to get them.

Given how everyone is so afraid of the place, any character would need a real good reason to go there!  Or a ship could be driven there by a storm.  Or someone might be borne there on the back of a disobedient dragon.

I doubt it. Daenerys is the only character that might make sense to visit there on Drogon's back, but what would be the purpose? Bran could also provide a vision of what is in there or any character that got a hold of a Glass Candle.

Another possibility is that Gerion Lannister is still alive (I doubt it too) and he tells us few things.

12 hours ago, Aebram said:

Euron apparently went there and lived to tell about it.  He has that Valyrian horn and armor, although the text does contain a hint that he didn't actually go to Valyria to get them.

It is hinted that these artifacts were captured from Pyat Pree and his accompanying warlocks, but it is still within the realm of possibilities.

ETA: What I would really like to see is the Demon's Road and cities like Mantarys. Maybe there we get some hints about the Valyria and its demise.

I would like Valyria to be the focus of any spinoffs and novels honestly, and potentially any future new shows.

Honestly the biggest issue with Game of Thrones right now is well recent events but honestly like who cares about that right now.

The series is vast and huge with lots of books and characters and everything, and I definitely think there should be one and only one focus going forward.

Aegon Targaryen.

Everything about him, his life, his values, his connection to Valyria, very early Game of Thrones setting, I think it could be awesome because he is a great

character and neither the books nor the show did him any justice.

I cannot CANNOT believe we didn't see a flashback with him just once.

There are a few people on the forums who are fans of Rhaenys and Visenya, and that's cool, seeing them would of been great either, thankfully

GRRM knows the importance of the Targaryens and why Fire and Blood is so cool, but yeah why not just Aegon himself,

https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Aegon_I_Targaryen?file=Aegon_the_Conqueror.png

I mean what an awesome picture, he's the guy who put like the single most amount of work and effort into the creation of the GoT universe basically

and thus deserves the most attention.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

It's a stand in for a pollution zone. Valyria is toxic and a warning. Think Chernobyl and Three Mile Island. There would be consequences for anyone who went there.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-30197341

Chernobyl bears send their regards.

Truth be told. Normal human activities are more damaging to natural life than higher levels of radiation.

7 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-30197341

Chernobyl bears send their regards.

Truth be told. Normal human activities are more damaging to natural life than higher levels of radiation.

It doesn't have to be radiation, any toxic pollution will do. Asshai looks like an example of people trying to live in post-apocalyptic habitat destruction, while Valyria must be so bad they dont even try. 

As others have said, it probably wouldn't be wise for anyone to actually go visit the remnants of Valyria. We have no reason to doubt that it's not wise to go there, that there's a reason sailors take great care to go well around it. It's very likely that someone did, in fact, visit it in Fire and Blood and it didn't end well at all. I also don't think it'd be particularly interesting to see the ruins of Valyria.

However, I'd love something set in Valyria during it's prime, personally. Be it a flashback, somehow, a spinoff, anything, rather than someone actually going and finding whatever might still be lurking there after the Doom. 

Just to play devil's advocate, I'll ask:  what do we actually know about the current state of Valyria?  The answer seems to be:  nothing.  We know some of its history, but we haven't heard from anyone who's actually been there in the last few hundred years.

Gerion Lannister went there, or tried to, and never returned; but we don't know what really happened to him. Perhaps he was killed by pirates on his way there, or sunk by a storm on his way home with a shipload of Valyrian steel and other treasures. Pirates and storms are common in that part of the world.

Euron claims to have gone there. He has relics. But maybe he found them somewhere else. Or something, maybe from Valyria, gave them to him. Anyway, Euron knows things about Valyria. Others too, the Red Priests I suppose. The Faceless Men I'm sure.

We may learn more, if it contributes to the Ice and Fire story/song. But I don't think anyone will travel there.

On 9/3/2019 at 4:38 PM, The Way of the Dragon said:

I would love to have a backstory on the Doom but George Martin does like his mysteries.  We might get a glimpse of the ruins but that will not tell us what happened in the past.  Nobody knows anymore.  

Yeah I really want to learn more about the Doom as well. Maybe we will get a glimpse of Valyria in the past through Bran, along with Asshai?

On 10/11/2019 at 4:09 AM, Baelon Targaryen said:

As others have said, it probably wouldn't be wise for anyone to actually go visit the remnants of Valyria. We have no reason to doubt that it's not wise to go there, that there's a reason sailors take great care to go well around it. It's very likely that someone did, in fact, visit it in Fire and Blood and it didn't end well at all. I also don't think it'd be particularly interesting to see the ruins of Valyria.

However, I'd love something set in Valyria during it's prime, personally. Be it a flashback, somehow, a spinoff, anything, rather than someone actually going and finding whatever might still be lurking there after the Doom. 

Yeah I wanted a prequel set in Valyria at it's height, would be awesome to see all the dragons, dragon lords and how Valyrian society functioned. 

Archived