Bull**it Jobs

Liffguard

On 9/27/2019 at 6:50 PM, Heartofice said:

Those jobs will simply disappear I think. Businesses are pretty good at seeing where they can lose workforce when their output is so easy to define.

Businesses are not so good at convincing the robots that replace the workers to buy the stuff they produce. What is the point of running a widget business if no one has the money earned by working to produce said widgets? 

1 hour ago, maarsen said:

Businesses are not so good at convincing the robots that replace the workers to buy the stuff they produce. What is the point of running a widget business if no one has the money earned by working to produce said widgets? 

Well, the advantage is, you can force the benighted masses into low-wage service jobs, such as home healthcare aides. And you can use your new economic clout to purchase politics and drive wages and healthcare benefits further and further down. 

And yeah, perhaps robots will replace home healthcare aides. OK, well then we can just create many absurd and low-paying jobs for poor people. Dressing up as gnomes and standing around the ocean-side properties of the wealthy?

On 9/27/2019 at 5:50 PM, Heartofice said:

Those jobs will simply disappear I think. Businesses are pretty good at seeing where they can lose workforce when their output is so easy to define.

Not really, and besides, this doesn't address the likely fact that in the future, populations will grow while the need for labor will decrease. What then? Do we need to summon @Jace, Basilissa to Thanos the world? 

I'll do it, too. Don't test me. 

100 million from Russia, 180 million from U.S.A., half a billion from India and China each, let's take 20 million Frenchies, 40 million Germans, 30 million Englishmen, and I ain't even touched Africa yet. South America might be one of the last places my mass murdering eye turns to, but spared they will not be. Japan will take care of itself in the next decade-and-a-half so they get a reprieve.

Just now, A True Kaniggit said:

Will this be like Thanos purge with everything random?

Or so you accept bribes?

I absolutely do not accept bribes.

However, if you would like to buy an indulgence then please see my secretary.

I need some advice on a serious matter.

But first, I need to know...if someone were to ask for some advice on a message board about how to handle potentially explosive revelations at that person's company, could that message board post possibly be detrimental to possible future legal proceedings?

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not really, and besides, this doesn't address the likely fact that in the future, populations will grow while the need for labor will decrease. What then? Do we need to summon @Jace, Basilissa to Thanos the world? 

Not really what? That businesses find it easier to identify jobs that can be automated when workers output can be easily identified? Not sure what you are saying here.

Global population might increase, but question is where, western populations are stagnant or declining , birth rates are barely replacement levels. 

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Not really what? That businesses find it easier to identify jobs that can be automated when workers output can be easily identified? Not sure what you are saying here.

Identifying and implementing are not one in the same. You could automate most of my department, cutting 100 plus salaries, and that’s just one of many departments in which you could do the same, and keep in mind I work at a major hospital network combined with insurance companies. But they’re too stupid to recognize it, though I’m sure the few who do aren’t ever going say it. Except me.

Global population might increase, but question is where, western populations are stagnant or declining , birth rates are barely replacement levels. 

No, it will, absent a major catastrophe. And it doesn’t matter where it increases given the ease of movement even with this white anxiety anti-immigration wave taking over the West.  

31 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Identifying and implementing are not one in the same. You could automate most of my department, cutting 100 plus salaries, and that’s just one of many departments in which you could do the same, and keep in mind I work at a major hospital network combined with insurance companies. But they’re too stupid to recognize it, though I’m sure the few who do aren’t ever going say it. Except me.

I don't know what jobs you are talking about here but how easy is it to quantify their output in terms of profit?  All I'm saying is that a lot of the automation we have seen was in jobs where a workers output could be easily quantified, such as in factories.

The topic of this thread is Bull***t jobs, jobs where its generally hard to identify someones output in any meaningful way. Its hard to automate jobs when nobody really even knows what people do! 

31 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

No, it will, absent a major catastrophe. And it doesn’t matter where it increases given the ease of movement even with this white anxiety anti-immigration wave taking over the West.  

Yes the immigration question will become more and more relevant you are correct. However population growth of the planet has slowed since 1960 and will probably slow down even more over the next century as countries become more developed. 

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Yes the immigration question will become more and more relevant you are correct. However population growth of the planet has slowed since 1960 and will probably slow down even more over the next century as countries become more developed. 

YoY net change - not rate - remains about the same since 1985 (82m ppl) which is 30m more than in 1960. Not sure that rate tells a meaningful story there. The enormity of base population is already baked in en route to 9b in 2037 and then 10b in 2057.

• 3 months later...

Hey I just finished prepping a class I start teaching tomorrow - political sociology. (My first lecture:  What is political sociology?  You tell me!)  One of the syllabi I was sent had this as one of the readings.  Thought it was cool, kept it as a reading in one of the last weeks of the semester.  I've read the article on Strike by Graeber, and read a New Yorker piece.  Assigned the former.  Wondering, other than the book which I'm obviously not gonna make them buy (or myself have to read), if anyone knows of any better sources on this?  Probably not, just taking a shot.  Sorry for the necro.

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

Hey I just finished prepping a class I start teaching tomorrow - political sociology. (My first lecture:  What is political sociology?  You tell me!)  One of the syllabi I was sent had this as one of the readings.  Thought it was cool, kept it as a reading in one of the last weeks of the semester.  I've read the article on Strike by Graeber, and read a New Yorker piece.  Assigned the former.  Wondering, other than the book which I'm obviously not gonna make them buy (or myself have to read), if anyone knows of any better sources on this?  Probably not, just taking a shot.  Sorry for the necro.

What's the book?  Don't think you said or linked it

No worries.  Just putting it out there.  Don't expect anything, and it's really no big deal.  All I've found if you don't wanna get a book is that article and a New Yorker article.  I don't think either actually sufficiently clarifies for undergrads, which is why I was asking.  No biggie, I can tell them whatever I want (muahahaha).

It's a tangent, but IIRC we did discuss how much humans should be working "ideally" -without bullshit jobs- in this thread.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/06/four-day-working-week-six-hour-shifts-introduced-finland-12008560/

Four-day working week and six-hour shifts to be introduced in Finland

Finland’s new Prime Minister wants to introduce a four-day working week.

Sanna Marin, 34, says an extra day off and six-hour days will allow the public to spend more time with their families and on hobbies. The proposal from Ms Marin – the world’s youngest sitting prime minister – follows the lead of Scandanavian neighbour Sweden, where a six-hour working experiment began in 2015. According to the New Europe newspaper, she said: ‘I believe people deserve to spend more time with their families, loved ones, hobbies and other aspects of life, such as culture. ‘This could be the next step for us in working life.’

Archived